Boston Bruins Bruins to Retire Willie O'Ree's #22 [MOD]- NO Politics!

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

And they announce this after Craig Smith was going to wear the number this season. Glad to see everyone was on the same page, here *Fart Noise*

To be honest, this looks like clout searching. Racial divide going on in the country is the only reason I see why this is happening. I'm not against it. He broke the color barrier in hockey. Without WOR, do we have some awesome players like Subban, Evander Kane, Wayne Simmonds? Who knows.

I love the honor but I don't like the timing. O'Ree's number was not going to be retired because he was a player that was up there with the greats of the organization. This could have and should have been done years ago.

But moving on from that part of it:

Congrats to Willie. This is a well-deserved and overdue honor!

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Craig Smith really needs to stop picking retired jersey numbers :sarcasm:

Some guys just have no respect for history... Great first impression, Craig. :sarcasm:

Agreed that this is an overdue honor. Timing is funny but important that it happens. Congrats Willie!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Some guys just have no respect for history... Great first impression, Craig. :sarcasm:

Agreed that this is an overdue honor. Timing is funny but important that it happens. Congrats Willie!
It is kind of odd that they'd let him take it if they knew they were going to do this, though.

Reactions: sarge88

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I guess the other way to look at it is that this is a good time to do with the issues going on in the country. There's nothing unlikable about this move. Willie is a class-act and as a Bruins fan, even if I never witnessed him play, I'm beyond happy that he broke the barrier here in Boston.

It's a way to bring people of all races together and enjoy this moment.

But, @BruinDust makes an excellent point. They're doing this when fans won't even be there.

Reactions: BruinDust

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Makes sense and certainly he's more deserving than some of the numbers already up there, so good job by the Bruins for honoring him and recognizing how he transcended the sport by being a trailblazer.

Reactions: CDJ and Alicat

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Leave it to the Bruins to wait until now to do this. If they were going to do it at all, and I have no issue with it given O’Ree’s place in NHL history, why not sooner? And as @BruinDust said; why not when there’s a full house at the Garden?

Congratulations to Mr. O’Ree.

Reactions: BMC

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
A great honor, and definitely someone deserving of it. It'd be nice to have done it in front of fans, but he's been honored at the Garden fairly recently (within the last 3-4 seasons, I'm pretty sure), and they'll definitely have a "Willie O'Ree Day" when fans are allowed back in the Garden - the article alludes to it.

Unless there is some concern about his age/health so it is happening now? He is not a young man.

That was my exact thought, too. He's 85. Looks good for his age! Obviously we know nothing about his health, but in the "better safe than sorry" category, it makes sense. Plus, Craig Smith will have to change his number...if they did that without announcing the retirement, there would be questions as to why he's changing his number twice. And if they're going to announce the number retirement, may as well have the ceremony, even if the fans won't be there for the first one.

Reactions: Gee Wally and BMC

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Today I learned that Willie O Ree doesn't already have his number retired. This is about 50 years late. Congratulations to him, he's much too classy to say "about time" but I will.

Last edited by a moderator:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well deserved, but the timing just seems so odd. Seems like this was a decision they made out of the blue to be honest. If they knew they were going to retire #22, then why left Smith take it? Why doing it when no fans will be in the stands? I get announcing it, but why not wait to raise it until you can give him a proper ceremony?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Well deserved, but the timing just seems so odd. Seems like this was a decision they made out of the blue to be honest. If they knew they were going to retire #22, then why left Smith take it? Why doing it when no fans will be in the stands? I get announcing it, but why not wait to raise it until you can give him a proper ceremony?
It’s called “Bruins.”

One of these days, the Bruins WILL get something right that doesn’t happen by accident. It’s one reason I watch :)

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->