Confirmed with Link: Bruins to Build New Practice Facility in Brighton

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Who we kidding...half empty would be great for a Panthers game as they usually get 10 people

Remember this game? ;)

panthers+exhibition.jpg

wasn`t that a free hot dog giveaway game too:sarcasm:

Habs killer

Jan 31, 2007
somerville
No idea what they had in mind when they picked either Wilmington or Brighton but both seem to be somewhat out of the way for the players and staff including the locker room, and training staff. I'd think that it would be more advantageous to have a facility in/along the Mystic river, say in Medford (where there are still good sized parcels of land to support a new facility) so that they are on path to go from TD Garden a few miles in a direct line to Medford and then either through the local roads or right onto route 93 up to Hanscom or to Logan depending where they are flying into or out of. It's easier to travel north to south in the Boston area than to travel east to west IMO.

most players/coaches lived north shore, lynnfield etc..when wilmington practice facility came online, made perfect sense.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Personally, I liked it when they were at Twin Rinks. Two ice sheets, room for well over a thousand people to sit in the "A" rink--which had seating on both sides.
The place was a bit of a dump in the 80's, but that building had great potential if it had made it to the modern corporate era. There was no visionary working for the Bruins then. Just a gruff guy who still made good trades.

I wish this new place was going to be right with the Garden but whatever. It's long overdue.
Twin Rinks is still a dump.

A nice note to the new location is its proximity to Stockyard Restaurant on Market Street. Just been renovated. Great food and atmosphere with reasonable prices. We always stop there before or after B.C. events.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Twin Rinks is still a dump.

I think you are thinking of another place--maybe Hockeytown in Saugus. Twin Rinks was on the Danvers/Peabody line and it closed a year or so after the Bruins left for Wilmington. Bruins held camp and practices there from about 1980-87.
Place had a lot of potential, but it was a different era. Lots of seating for an amateur rink. Frank Zappa, Willie Nelson and others actually played there.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I think you are thinking of another place--maybe Hockeytown in Saugus. Twin Rinks was on the Danvers/Peabody line and it closed a year or so after the Bruins left for Wilmington. Bruins held camp and practices there from about 1980-87.
Place had a lot of potential, but it was a different era. Lots of seating for an amateur rink. Frank Zappa, Willie Nelson and others actually played there.

Ahhh... that's what happened to it. Yeah, it was a bit of a dump. I think the B's used it as a practice facility a little earlier than 1980 -- I remember that one of the rinks I regularly played at as a kid was a Bruins practice facility, and I'd thought it was that one. (And at the time I was thinking "really? THIS place?")
I moved out of the area in '79, so it would have been a little earlier.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
most players/coaches lived north shore, lynnfield etc..when wilmington practice facility came online, made perfect sense.

Yep. When I was a kid, I think Espo lived in Peabody, Wayne Cashman lived in North Reading, Mike Millbury was in the area too. I don't think things had changed much by the time they chose to go to Ristuccia.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins inking rink space along Pike

Pending permitting approvals, New Balance hopes to start construction on the 75,000-square-foot rink complex — and an adjacent nine-story office building with a ground-floor Bruins pro-shop and other retail — no later than November, much earlier than the original planned spring start date.

The Bruins’ practice facility will have seating for about 650 spectators, a VIP area, function room and concessions. It also will include locker rooms, a lounge, a strength and conditioning/rapid shot area, training rooms, video and conference areas and offices for the Bruins.

New Balance still expects a 2016 completion date for the facility. And that still leaves the Bruins — whose lease at Ristuccia Memorial Arena, its Wilmington practice facility since 1987, ends next year — without a training location for the 2015-2016 season.

“As of right now, I don’t have an extended agreement with Ristuccia,†Neely said. “I can’t disclose it, but we’re able to secure something close enough for it to be convenient. We’re in discussions, but we’ve verbally agreed.â€

http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2014/09/bruins_inking_rink_space_along_pike

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Practice facilities and off-ice logistics are one of the most effective ways a big market team can flex their financial muscles in a hard cap league.

Ristuccia needed to go years ago.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Practice facilities and off-ice logistics are one of the most effective ways a big market team can flex their financial muscles in a hard cap league.

Ristuccia needed to go years ago.

F no they have a good setup at the back of Ristuccia and I play there and like the nice ice especially in the summer.

I hope this falls through Brighton is not easy to get to even if its right off the pike. You get off at that exit and its 20 minutes before you can take a left onto Harvard ave I don't like that part of town just because its so congested.

OutspokenMinority*

F no they have a good setup at the back of Ristuccia and I play there and like the nice ice especially in the summer.

I hope this falls through Brighton is not easy to get to even if its right off the pike. You get off at that exit and its 20 minutes before you can take a left onto Harvard ave I don't like that part of town just because its so congested.

some pike exits in that area take, literally, an hour from exit toll to the actual road.

ristuccia's out of the way "how the h did they end up way out here?"-ness was definitely part of its charm. plus the dude's daughter or niece or something was my dentist at one point so i'm like basically family.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Makes a ton of sense to move it into the city and get their own facility. Think they will draw bigger crowds and could use the rink for all kinds of community outreach.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

A few years ago I heard talk of them upgrading Ristuccia for the B's Oh well....It is closer for me than where the new arena will be.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River

Oh good, well I hope the Bruins cancel their state-of-the-art practice facility development deal because one random dude likes the ice at Ristuccia and doesn't like traffic.

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
This is not falling through guys, it is 100% a go. This is a great project and will be a huge asset for the Bruins once completed.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Ristuccia is not a bad facility by any means. It has good ice. My son played his home St. John's Prep games there and the fan facilities are adequate.

The management did a good job of renovating the building to accommodate the Bruins training and medical needs. But the locations is not the best. It'.s far from the population centre. It's hard to get parking there even for Bs training scrimmages.

This new facility is ideal for a first class professional organization.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Never been to Ristuccia Arena, is it a case of it being too outdated?

Calling it too outdated would be kind. It's okay as far as youth and HS hockey skating rinks go, but nowhere near the caliber a professional practice arena should be. It's not even as nice as some junior and college rinks.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Calling it too outdated would be kind. It's okay as far as youth and HS hockey skating rinks go, but nowhere near the caliber a professional practice arena should be. It's not even as nice as some junior and college rinks.

yikes, sounds like it`s time to move on, thx Reggie

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Oh good, well I hope the Bruins cancel their state-of-the-art practice facility development deal because one random dude likes the ice at Ristuccia and doesn't like traffic.

Not sure about that guy, but he's probably taking a silly route then. Did he mean N. Harvard or regular Harvard ave? Because you could easily avoid Harvard completely, and even N. Harvard if you didn't go that way. Traffic in that area is only really bad during rush hour, like the rest of the city... Doubt traffic is a concern there.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Rictuccia is located in the 'back of beyond' for most people. It isn't even that close to the highway. This move is long overdue.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Hey, look who's moving in next door...

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/misc-051016-celtics-to-build-world-class-practice-facility

BOSTON, MA – The 17-time NBA Champion Boston Celtics and NB Development Group LLC announced today that Boston Landing, a mixed-used development in the Allston-Brighton neighborhood of Boston, will become the home of the Celtics’ new world-class practice and training facility.

”We are proud to team with New Balance Development in the creation of a best-in-class athletic training and practice facility that will provide Celtics players, coaches, and training staff with the resources, technology, and programming to compete at the highest level in an increasingly competitive NBA landscape,” said Rich Gotham, President of the Boston Celtics. “The Boston Landing location will bring us closer to our game day home at the TD Garden while providing high impact brand visibility.”

The Boston Celtics practice facility will be the latest dramatic element at Boston Landing — at 55 feet in the air cantilevered out to the edge of the Mass Pike. The Celtics new practice home, including the team’s 17 NBA championship banners, will be highly visible from the Massachusetts Turnpike with a forty foot glass wall enclosing the practice courts that face the approximately 130,000 daily commuters. The practice facility will encompass approximately 70,000 square feet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad