Confirmed with Link: Bruins to Build New Practice Facility in Brighton

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Looking forward to this - always wanted to catch a practice. The new facility's much closer to me, and makes it more likely that I'll get off my lazy butt and go one day. I much, much, much prefer my ticket money to go to this rather than to the Garden "improvements". The boys shouldn't have to drive 25 minutes to get to their practice arena. Besides, I don't need a bigger pro shop, giant HD screens in the concourse, or for the Garden to ruin two of my favorite foods - meatballs and cannoli.

The one thing I wonder about this renovation is if it will alleviate the "security" concerns about autographs after practice. Doubt it - I get that the players don't want to spend an hour after every damn practice in an impromptu autograph session. And I get that they don't want to sign 20 items over the course of a season for 30-something-year-olds who look like they might be selling stuff on eBay. But, dammit, I'm a 30-something-year-old fan, and while I do use eBay, if I get my Chara jersey autographed, you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands. (Or, rather, take it off of my cold, dead body while I'm in the casket.) Tossing a $20 Bs cap with an autograph in would be cool for my family's White Elephant/Yankee Swap, too. But at $80-$100 for a Chara autograph in a public signing, meh. The eBayers ruin it for everyone.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Looking forward to this - always wanted to catch a practice. The new facility's much closer to me, and makes it more likely that I'll get off my lazy butt and go one day. I much, much, much prefer my ticket money to go to this rather than to the Garden "improvements". The boys shouldn't have to drive 25 minutes to get to their practice arena.

Wilmington is probably easier to get to from where a lot of player's live the north end and charlestown than allson-brighton. It's a wash at best.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
A guy in a Patriots jersey and a little girl with a pink Red Sox hat at the Boston Bruins' practice rink. Sadly, it's 100% realistic.

Yeah, God forbid they let in such riff-raff. Anyone who wants to attend a Bruins practice should know how many NHL records Bobby Orr holds and who was traded for Can Neely, at minimum.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Yeah, God forbid they let in such riff-raff. Anyone who wants to attend a Bruins practice should know how many NHL records Bobby Orr holds and who was traded for Can Neely, at minimum.

The way to make yourself look better than someone who is sarcastic is to be more sarcastic. Oh, wait...

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Wilmington is probably easier to get to from where a lot of player's live the north end and charlestown than allson-brighton. It's a wash at best.

If a player lives in Charlestown, it's still a 21 minute drive, versus 27 minutes to Wilmington. They don't really win either way.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

No way. You're looking at crossing neighborhoods (nice ones) in the same city vs driving out past cambridge, somerville, medford, winchester, burlington and and through most of wilmington. It's got to be at least half the time and an easy bike ride for most anyone in the North End/Charlestown.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
No way. You're looking at crossing neighborhoods (nice ones) in the same city vs driving out past cambridge, somerville, medford, winchester, burlington and and through most of wilmington. It's got to be at least half the time and an easy bike ride for most anyone in the North End/Charlestown.

you're confusing distance with time. Bike I'll give you, clearly. In a car, I do both runs all the time from the financial district and there's hardly a difference.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Who we kidding...half empty would be great for a Panthers game as they usually get 10 people

Remember this game? ;)

panthers+exhibition.jpg

wow.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

Seguin right?

This is long overdue. Ristuccia made Schaefer Stadium look state of the art.

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
The only argument that could be made about convenience and distance would be if the team continues to use Hanscom AFB. It's easy to get to from Wilmington on 128. If they're flying out of Logan more often or going to switch to it completely, it makes a lot more sense.

Also would they even keep practices open to the public all the time?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
The only argument that could be made about convenience and distance would be if the team continues to use Hanscom AFB. It's easy to get to from Wilmington on 128. If they're flying out of Logan more often or going to switch to it completely, it makes a lot more sense.

Also would they even keep practices open to the public all the time?

It looks to me from the artists' renditions that the facility is meant to be open to the public. More people at practice, more people patronizing the shops/restaurants etc.

If the Bruins want a closed practice, they can use the Garden, as they do now.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
you're confusing distance with time. Bike I'll give you, clearly. In a car, I do both runs all the time from the financial district and there's hardly a difference.

No idea what they had in mind when they picked either Wilmington or Brighton but both seem to be somewhat out of the way for the players and staff including the locker room, and training staff. I'd think that it would be more advantageous to have a facility in/along the Mystic river, say in Medford (where there are still good sized parcels of land to support a new facility) so that they are on path to go from TD Garden a few miles in a direct line to Medford and then either through the local roads or right onto route 93 up to Hanscom or to Logan depending where they are flying into or out of. It's easier to travel north to south in the Boston area than to travel east to west IMO.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Personally, I liked it when they were at Twin Rinks. Two ice sheets, room for well over a thousand people to sit in the "A" rink--which had seating on both sides.
The place was a bit of a dump in the 80's, but that building had great potential if it had made it to the modern corporate era. There was no visionary working for the Bruins then. Just a gruff guy who still made good trades.

I wish this new place was going to be right with the Garden but whatever. It's long overdue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->