Bruins Talk Radio. A show at a cross roads.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
Folks,

There have been some discussions about the future of our post game and sometime magazine show, Bruins Talk Radio, or Lunatic Fringe Radio and in the coming days, we are going to making a decision and announcement about what our plans are with it.

I am in no rush to roll it out this Saturday night, but withing 2 weeks I would like to be able to begin covering games again. I do believe in our vision and I know there is interest from the key players in the project from last season, and I want to put it out there for our home base to discuss, comment on and brain storm with us.

My visions is that if we are going to keep this rolling, we need to take a step forward in our production level, and overall professionalism. There is nothing I would like more than to get to talk about every game with Bill and Bob and Reed and Will, and others who have graced us with guest appearances like Ty and Kirk.

So, i ask you these questions: If BTR is to continue on, what would you folks like to see as part of the project? If you are a listener already, what do you like about the show? What do you think would make it better? If you aren't a listener, why not?

I believe in real open communication. So no sugar coating...

Glenn

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I listened a few times and really liked it a lot. I wish I could listen more but I am generally up for work around 4:00 or 4:30, eastern time, so once the games end, I am usually off to bed. If there was an archive of sorts, I would probably catch a lot more of your shows.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The few times I listened in I was really into it, but more often than not, once the game ends its off to bed.

Schalkenullvier*

There was a show called Boston Hockey Talk on iTunes 2 years or so back, but it's not anymore I don't think. Was that your stuff? These guys were covering like 2/3 Bruins and 1/3 rest of the league. I stopped listening when they repeatedly suggested to trade Chara lol.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
As others have said, Usually off to bed as soon as it's over. I do listen to a replay the next day quite a bit. I like it.

The only thing I did/do not like are the fake commercials.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Folks,

There have been some discussions about the future of our post game and sometime magazine show, Bruins Talk Radio, or Lunatic Fringe Radio and in the coming days, we are going to making a decision and announcement about what our plans are with it.

I am in no rush to roll it out this Saturday night, but withing 2 weeks I would like to be able to begin covering games again. I do believe in our vision and I know there is interest from the key players in the project from last season, and I want to put it out there for our home base to discuss, comment on and brain storm with us.

My visions is that if we are going to keep this rolling, we need to take a step forward in our production level, and overall professionalism. There is nothing I would like more than to get to talk about every game with Bill and Bob and Reed and Will, and others who have graced us with guest appearances like Ty and Kirk.

So, i ask you these questions: If BTR is to continue on, what would you folks like to see as part of the project? If you are a listener already, what do you like about the show? What do you think would make it better? If you aren't a listener, why not?

Glenn

There has been amazing expansion of the number of Bruins media due to changing technology, and this is the one medium that hasn't been expanded upon, because it's basically thought not to exist. If I were you, I would seek game credentials on mutually convenient nights (if there is such a thing in this shortened season) and ask to discuss something permanent in the offseason.
I haven't heard the show, but I've read your posts, and the level of thought that goes into them easily qualifies you for consideration on that basis. The difference maker would be the team's readiness to accept your medium/method, which at some point finds its validation on establishing some number of participants. You have to have a way of being able to quantify a number of consumers of your product in order for the Bruins to be duly impressed, especially because of what you're talking about here - a non-traditional medium for talk radio.
God knows the Bruins remain grossly underserved in this regard, including by their own flagship, but establishing yourself as a viable alternative that would help them is the starting point of their consideration, I would think. If there's nothing to get them past the point of viewing your show as a group of basement-bound hockey nerds, I'm not sure what you can do. But it would be a great thing to see something like this happen when the traditional airwaves are limited to a little here and a little there and a show on the flagship by the Bruins announcers and only because the flagship deems it beneficial to promote Goucher and Beers as a brand. So, as much as I enjoy it when they're on, I don't really count that in this context.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
There was a show called Boston Hockey Talk on iTunes 2 years or so back, but it's not anymore I don't think. Was that your stuff? These guys were covering like 2/3 Bruins and 1/3 rest of the league. I stopped listening when they repeatedly suggested to trade Chara lol.

If they ever podcast that, I'd download it to my Ipod in a cold second. Have to have some variety to listen to while I'm working out at the gym !!!

BostonAJ

Jul 20, 2009
Southie
The show better not be going ****ing anywhere. If you're looking to upgrade, start with the website. Maybe give it a live chat or something.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
The show better not be going ****ing anywhere. If you're looking to upgrade, start with the website. Maybe give it a live chat or something.

I thought there was a live chat componant? The few times I was able to tune in, I really liked that part. It's always nice to be able to interact.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Keep At It

I've been a listener since the beginning. I love the show - when i don't have difficulty accessing it online. Not certain why (probably on my end), listening live last year was not possible.

As to format: I like the interplay between all of you, and that each gets a chance to break down the state of the B's or a particular game. Also appreciate that you invite listener feedback with live chat. The one area that needs vast improvement is the near non-existant call in feature. Either promote this persistantly or let it die. No one calls (including me), for whatever reason. More guests (beat writers, etc.) would improve the show as well.

Hope you continue with the program. I suppose you might up the "professionalism" a bit, but actually like the informal atmosphere.

Good luck & let us know your plans here on HF,

GH

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Ever since the NEHJ show went off the air, which I miss greatly btw, BTR has been the only Bruins/Hockey themed radio show candle burning.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
I had no idea about it, but now that I do I will check it out. If you podcasted I would definitely be downloading. I love podcasts. I think it's the medium of the future, even though it's had quite a few difficulties gaining traction. BS Report, Carolla, Dameshek, it's a perfect way to broadcast. Even with advertising, when I work, I listen to them to keep me going. Sometimes I listen to them two or three times. I usually go back to them because I fear I've missed something.

Like I state previously, I wasn't aware of it, but now that I am I will check it out.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Folks,

Glenn

No sugar coating....I have listened a few times. There always seems to be one guy talking over everyone else. It sometimes becomes difficult to follow. I freely admit I havent been a regular, but the few times I have listened I have been more frustrated trying to follow the conversation than anything else. So...more moderation.

jasonbaz77*

Listener since the beginning....I hope it stays pretty much the same. The more the better.

I only hope it stays relatively informal. Keep it for the Bruins fans, not trying to appeal to a broader Hockey audience. I like that you guys were fans of the team and didn't hold back how you felt, good and bad about players on the B's or other teams.

It was like talking to friends after the game with excellent insight, but also with structure. I also liked the chat function.

I still remember the show after the Cup win....it was glorious.

Jason

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Listener since the beginning....I hope it stays pretty much the same. The more the better.

I only hope it stays relatively informal. Keep it for the Bruins fans, not trying to appeal to a broader Hockey audience. I like that you guys were fans of the team and didn't hold back how you felt, good and bad about players on the B's or other teams.

It was like talking to friends after the game with excellent insight, but also with structure. I also liked the chat function.

I still remember the show after the Cup win....it was glorious.

Jason

This, All,

:nod:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
As you may remember, I listened and interacted by chat fairly regularly.
I do not think that you talk over each other but: the subject sometimes changes before I've realized that it has.
I don't care for the silly commercials.
I don't like that I don't know when/if the show is on. On occasion private conversations were taking place without you guys realizing it....That was really funny at times. It was never anything offensive or malicious.
Maybe an onscreen countdown clock?
Also I never knew if I was listening to the live show broadcast or a recording until I could get a handle on the conversation.
You seem to need some kind of cover/opening page for a live vs. recorded show.
I loved the show, when they won I had someone to talk about it with, when they lost .....ditto.
I don't think that you had a show after the final loss to Washington in the PO last year which I found irksome if you want to be taken seriously. Consistancy!
I also wish that the groupie..... Ashley from Sarnia would call in more often.
She's a legend in her own mind!!
Keep up the great work, all in all great efforts: The show, the team just need to evolve.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
why not try having a rotating "guest" speaker(s) from amongst some of the more seasoned posters right on here? you start a thread telling us you're going to have OOG on next monday night breaking down the CBA like only he can and 90% of the posters here will tune in.

Also, hadn't heard it before and just listened for the 1st time this evening. I listened to podcast #2, the devils game from jan 19th of last year. Sounds like you had most of the guys out sick or they had the runs (way too much info there) :laugh:.

Tell us which one you consider one of your best podcasts and i'll listen to that one to get a better feel for the program.

Also, why does it have to be live? Why not record exactly the way you do and then "clean" it up and post later at night? someone else said the call in feature doesn't work so whats the point of being live?

Love the actual website! Especially the hockey fights pulldown. :handclap:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The call in feature isn't always available or it isn't talked up and the number needs to be repeated (at least) a few times a show.
The fun of the live show is the interaction. I'd probably call in if it doesn't wake up the house. Even if nobody calls it'd be okay too as long as listeners know that they can call and maybe rant?
How about a segment about rumors etc involving things that HFBoards would NEVER allow to be discussed? If you can't hit new highs.......try to hit new lows! It worked for Howard Stern, it can work for hockey! You know what I mean :D

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
I didn't know of the show until now. No sugar coating is better than having to listen to ****ing Feldger.. I'd definitely give it a listen if it continued.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
I didn't know of the show until now. No sugar coating is better than having to listen to ****ing Feldger.. I'd definitely give it a listen if it continued.

Yah, I've just completely given up on Felger and Mazz. Nothing's positive, everything's an absolute(i.e. let's have a fight over who is the best qb of all time), and just downright abysmal hockey knowledge.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
Yah, I've just completely given up on Felger and Mazz. Nothing's positive, everything's an absolute(i.e. let's have a fight over who is the best qb of all time), and just downright abysmal hockey knowledge.

Obviously I have no proof to back this up, but the year the Bruins won the cup, Feldger wanted to trade Thomas to get better assets for the future.................

Haven't taken him seriously since. The only reason I listen too him is because he is the only guy talking about the Bruins, or anything sports related at that hour. Some of the claims he makes just makes me :shakehead

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
Thanks for all the feedback. We do want to grow and evolve, and this has all been helpful in finding out what you all want. I have been in discussions with a popular Bruins Blog in hopes of unearthing a larger potential panel. I talked to Bill and William and Am still trying to get in touch with Bob, but I think the guys from last year are all interested in staying on board.

Our website is going to be re done. We had an affiliation with a similar show in Montreal that hosted our web site last year, and that affiliation has since been dissolved.

We are going to be looking for a web designer, and always need help with the show.

I am not in a hurry to roll this out with the start of the season, as I want to do it RIGHT and will not roll out anything less than our best.

By the way, you can download our shows after they air. We like the live aspect for the fan interaction in chat, and if we have to, we will push the call in more. I loved it when we used to get callers!

Cheers folks, stay tuned!

G

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->