Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign UMASS's Vatrano

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
what was the academic/enrollment issue? Administrative stuff?

Finally a good italian in the spoked B, if i remember correctly it was a eligibility issue due to his playing in the EJHL. Hopefully Dom or Kirk will post with better info.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
what was the academic/enrollment issue? Administrative stuff?

Finally a good italian in the spoked B, if i remember correctly it was a eligibility issue due to his playing in the EJHL. Hopefully Dom or Kirk will post with better info.

The Massachusetts hockey team announced on Monday that redshirt freshman Frank Vatrano won’t be eligible to play until the 2014 Hockey East Tournament.

Jeff Bernstein/Collegian
Vatrano can practice with the Minutemen throughout the 2013-14 regular season, but can’t play as a “result of an admissions documentation discrepancy at his previous academic institution.†Vatrano is also eligible to compete in UMass’ Jan. 12 exhibition against the United States Under-18 Team.

The East Longmeadow native was originally enrolled at Boston College last fall and was considered one of the Eagles’ top incoming players for the 2012-13 season, but was dismissed from the team for academic issues just two weeks before the start of the season.

It was reported shortly after Vatrano’s dismissal that he failed to pass the NCAA Clearinghouse, which is a way of verifying the eligibility of a student-athlete by determining they meet certain requirements in educational performance and background, meaning he would’ve been ineligible had he remained at Boston College.

http://dailycollegian.com/2013/09/1...-for-umass-hockey-for-2013-14-regular-season/

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
F Frankie Vatrano — The forward with a bomb of a shot and sneaky speed was thought to be a potential mid-round guy, but no one bit. That might have to do with Vatrano’s conditioning, but he has some serious natural goal-scoring ability that could be put on display this year at BC. He could find himself selected in next year’s Draft.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012/06/23/recapping-day-2-of-the-2012-nhl-entry-draft/

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...ast-usntdp-alum-junior-bruins-john-micheletto

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/From_NEHJ-_Vesey_tops_deep_class_of_regional_prospects

Frank Vatrano (East Longmeadow, Mass.), C, U.S. NTDP

Thick-bodied sniper quietly put together two solid seasons in Ann Arbor, Mich., to go with his Under-18 gold medal. Former Boston Jr. Bruins standout is 88th-ranked NA skater by CSS.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Good depth move considering the ECHL rejects and grizzly veterans Providence has put on its roster recently. Kid is only 20 to go along with Phillips, recently acquired.

Good skater, quick release, really hard shot, according to "Fear the Triangle" writer who has seen his play. Finished his UMass year at 16-12-28 in 36 games. Second in the nation with 194 SOG, with 5.38 shots per game.

Last edited:

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
wonder if they are going after any other college guys? i know casey bailey is a highly sought after free agent , size and skill from what i read it makes him sound like a faster michael ryder but more physical. would love to watch that on this b's team .. i hope they go after some defenseman .. someone else to get excited about besides arnesson and grzelcyk (not including morrow as a prospect) .

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This years draft coming if Bruins can grab Evengy Svechnikov grab him..This kid is gonna be a star.Whole package .Lets sign a real player.Point producers what Boston needs.Enough muckers for years.Get high end skill

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Anyone have a decent scouting report on this kid? I've been finding a ton of conflicting info. I like the idea of a bulldog build with a good an often used shot.

Curious to see a line of Vatrano Hickman Ferlin

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Good depth move considering the ECHL rejects and grizzly veterans Providence has put on its roster recently. Kid is only 20 to go along with Phillips, recently acquired.

Good skater, quick release, really hard shot, according to "Fear the Triangle" writer who has seen his play. Finished his UMass year at 16-12-28 in 36 games. Second in the nation with 194 SOG, with 5.38 shots per game.

The shots per game can be a problem. Is he a bit of a "puck hog" as they say?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad