Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Ryan White to PTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Spooner isn't riding any pine unless Bergeron comes back. Who is taking his place in the top 6? At the end of the day, Ryan Spooner is more capable to produce offense over any of the other options.

Missed this reply, but I agree- I was thinking if Bergeron is close to return, I could well see Spooner sitting. He hasn't really shown anything this season. Very early days I know, but he's off to a start that resembles his typical game.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Bruins only have 43 contracts, so I would assume him signing is a formality, they just want to get him in game shape first.

As far as line construction with him on it. Nash I assume is guaranteed a spot. Your left side has to produce something offensively on that line. A Heinen-Nash-White line makes perfect sense to me. Kuraly-Nash-White works as well, but if I had it my way I would go Heinen-Kuraly-White

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think his reputation of being a veteran player who still doesn`t discipline himself enough is the red flag with him. Not sure anyone can disagree he plays physically, will drop the mitts, contribute a bit offensively but I`ll ask this of you and others, I know he might make the B`s lineup tougher in the sense of physicality/scraps, but would White make this team stronger/better than who`s available?

I`m not close to being convinced he would but I know some here are more focused on this teams overall toughness, not my concern, I want the best team out on the ice, I`ll gladly come on with my worn knife and fork for Crow eating if necessary but I`m feeling pretty safe that I won`t have to

I ask This question is he a better fit than say Schaller ? Who I think brings nothing to the Bruins other than being a safe player with NO upside

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Bruins only have 43 contracts, so I would assume him signing is a formality, they just want to get him in game shape first.

As far as line construction with him on it. Nash I assume is guaranteed a spot. Your left side has to produce something offensively on that line. A Heinen-Nash-White line makes perfect sense to me. Kuraly-Nash-White works as well, but if I had it my way I would go Heinen-Kuraly-White

I would think he gets a PTO with Providence (good for a 25 game maximum) and then sign him to an NHL contract if he shows something.

Since he can't play in any NHL games without a SPC, I don't see how they can possibly judge him from practices.

That's my two cents

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I ask This question is he a better fit than say Schaller ? Who I think brings nothing to the Bruins other than being a safe player with NO upside
what`s White`s upside? White produced 2 more pts than Schaller did last year playing a half dozen more games but I guess if your into dudes who take foolish penalties at poor times....

cue the "yeah but he`ll drop the mitts crowd" now

Sorry, if he winds up being signed and improves this team, I`ll do what I do, eat Crow, if he does what I think he`ll do, I`ll scream for the first time in history, "I told ya so":popcorn:

Reactions: Strafer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
a
Apparently the B's aren't convinced either, thus the PTO :laugh:. He might be worth a 2-way deal for the season if injuries continue to be a problem in the bottom 6, but from what I remember of seeing him last season, he doesn't seem to be any type of long-term answer.

yep, who I wager, had the Nucks not extended a PTO wouldn`t have been touched by any other team

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
what`s White`s upside? White produced 2 more pts than Schaller did last year playing a half dozen more games but I guess if your into dudes who take foolish penalties at poor times....

cue the "yeah but he`ll drop the mitts crowd" now

Sorry, if he winds up being signed and improves this team, I`ll do what I do, eat Crow, if he does what I think he`ll do, I`ll scream for the first time in history, "I told ya so":popcorn:

Schaller also played time up and down the lineup... At times with Krejci.

Personally, I'm not a fan of either of them. But I'd take White's jam over Schaller's uh... Um. Personality? What does he bring again?

I'm with the crowd who is fine with the options we have available before either of these two. Heinen, Nash, Acciari, Kuraly, Beleskey, Blidh... Czarnik if you will.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
a

yep, who I wager, had the Nucks not extended a PTO wouldn`t have been touched by any other team

Difficult to pick a winner of that bet since we will never know the answer.

Are you also certain that the Canucks wouldn't have signed him to a SPC had he not suffered a concussion?

I like you a lot Andrew but I don't think you can make definitive statements like that which cannot be proven one way or the other. At least if you had said "I'd wager the sky is orange" ... well you get the point :D:cool:

Reactions: ODAAT

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Difficult to pick a winner of that bet since we will never know the answer.

Are you also certain that the Canucks wouldn't have signed him to a SPC had he not suffered a concussion?

I like you a lot Andrew but I don't think you can make definitive statements like that which cannot be proven one way or the other. At least if you had said "I'd wager the sky is orange" ... well you get the point :D:cool:

If the Canucks liked whatever they were seeing in TC prior to the concussion, why wouldn`t they have been patient, signed him so when he was cleared to play he could join them?

Probably right, total assumption on my part no other team wanted him and I look at this opportunity for him in Boston as a no risk, maybe reward. I dunno, often our past actions dictate our future one`s, while there are elements to his game I like (big fan of scraparoos and physical play), I`ve watched this guy skating to the box far too often after plays that were nothing short of dumb and selfish, no reason to believe he`s changed.

I`ll come on and take my internet beating like a man if I`m wrong, but "I`d wager the sky is orange" I won`t be:)

NSBruinFan

Jul 17, 2006
Cape Breton, NS
I find it so hard to cheer for a Habs players who joins the Bruins. Ugh... Mats Naslund

Only exception would be Ryder. He always seemed to score against the Bruins. So, I was happy when they picked him up.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I would think he gets a PTO with Providence (good for a 25 game maximum) and then sign him to an NHL contract if he shows something.

Since he can't play in any NHL games without a SPC, I don't see how they can possibly judge him from practices.

That's my two cents

Would he be able to sign with other teams if he signs a PTO w Providence? Also, in your opinion, do you think the Bruins sign him? Is getting a PTO in season a standard practice? I don't remember any.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Would he be able to sign with other teams if he signs a PTO w Providence? Also, in your opinion, do you think the Bruins sign him? Is getting a PTO in season a standard practice? I don't remember any.

Yes he could sign with any NHL team. He would still be a free agent. The Providence PTO would be for AHL only and can only be for a maximum 25 games, but he can sign two per year.

I honestly don't have an opinion on what the Bruins will do, because frankly, I haven't seen him on the ice. I know many here have made up their minds already. I prefer to remain realistic both ways.

A PTO in season doesn't happen often. You'll get an NHL ATO more often. That usually happens when a team is shorthanded a goaltender and needs to sign a goalie to have a backup. That's for a maximum of one game and doesn't pay anything.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Sweeney would have been better off with Andrew Desjardins, 4th liner with grit but will not play over the edge like ryan white , plus Desjardins can win face offs and play better defensive hockey.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I’m not sure how much you have watched Heinen at Denver or in PRO, but he’s not the offense-only player you are trying to make him out to be.

I would prefer him in a Top 9 role if possible, but if that’s not there right now, why not replace a Schaller (who isn’t physical anyway) with a guy that can do the same things defensively that he can and potentially add some offense as well.
I called him a two way player and I respect his all around game. I just want to illustrate the difference between a two way player and a guy that has to make the league solely on those 3rd/4th line attributes.

I wish he were on the 3rd line instead of Beleskey but we're splitting hairs at that point.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I called him a two way player and I respect his all around game. I just want to illustrate the difference between a two way player and a guy that has to make the league solely on those 3rd/4th line attributes.

I wish he were on the 3rd line instead of Beleskey but we're splitting hairs at that point.

I wish he was too, but we aren’t at that point yet. Give it a couple of periods :laugh:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Just saw this from Matt Kalman on twitter:

Matt Kalman‏Verified account @MattKalman

FWIW Ryan White had an official #Bruins name plate above locker in room today. Cassidy said decision could be made on him this week.

That could be the best news so far this season. fourth line of Belesky-Kuraly-White would suit me. Get Backes back in the line up and they aren't ridiculously soft anymore at forward.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That could be the best news so far this season. fourth line of Belesky-Kuraly-White would suit me. Get Backes back in the line up and they aren't ridiculously soft anymore at forward.

Because Beleskey has shown so much grit this year? :laugh:

I’m fine with the White signing, but I would rather see Heinen, Schaller, even Vatrano in that spot based on what I have seen from Beleskey so far. I was hoping he would come out and reestablish the play we saw the first year with the team, but that hasn’t happened. One fight and zero production.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Actually I would like Heinen on the third line, I think he has been productive and shown me that he has some game in him. I've always said I support a mix of skill and toughness, there should be room for Heinen. Belesky at least has been hitting, Blidh or Accari are my preferred choices over Belesky when they are healthy. I just don't know what you do with Belesky, JJ isn't eating that contract.

I would still move Spooner for a big, aggressive winger, I just think his value is so low the best you may do is Austin Watson or a similar level player for him.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Because Beleskey has shown so much grit this year? :laugh:

I’m fine with the White signing, but I would rather see Heinen, Schaller, even Vatrano in that spot based on what I have seen from Beleskey so far. I was hoping he would come out and reestablish the play we saw the first year with the team, but that hasn’t happened. One fight and zero production.
I agree with you. Schaller has played really well, I don't see how they can take him out of the lineup. Beleskey on the other hand should probably watch some games rather than play.

Reactions: BMC

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Actually I would like Heinen on the third line, I think he has been productive and shown me that he has some game in him. I've always said I support a mix of skill and toughness, there should be room for Heinen. Belesky at least has been hitting, Blidh or Accari are my preferred choices over Belesky when they are healthy. I just don't know what you do with Belesky, JJ isn't eating that contract.

I would still move Spooner for a big, aggressive winger, I just think his value is so low the best you may do is Austin Watson or a similar level player for him.

it’d be interesting to see what buffalo would want for kane and if they’d retain the necessary salary for the right futures.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I would do Spooner for Sissons, Watson or a similar player.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don’t want any part of E Kane. Lots of young impressionable players in that room. The last thing they need is EK Wisdom.

There`s that to a degree although there are plenty of vets in that room who`d not allow for that to happen. For me it`s just a case of this being a guy where, at some point, you know he`ll be a major distraction at some point. The guy has skill, toughness but a propensity for being a horses arse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad