Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Peter Mueller to PTO

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
WE DID NOTHING FROM OUR DRAFT IRONICALLY ENOUGH

draft picks like lars jonson, matt lashoff, mark stuart, shonne morrison were all long gone by the time our cup winning d was put together

well Stuart was a Bruin during the 2010-11 season, he didn't leave until the deal for Raptor Jesus, but your overall point stands

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I concur...Love what I'm hearing about all three of those prospects. I will add being from St.Catharines watching the Ice Dogs and knowing folk who worked at the arena there was never anything good to say about Dougie's attitude. Mostly negative. Not going to miss him and anxious to see how his replacements make out. :nod:

I remember going up to a game in St. Catherine's the year after his draft and talking to a season ticket holder sitting next to me, he loved Ryan Strome and Andrew Agozzino. asked him about Hamilton and he was just "meh", could tell he didn't like him but didn't want to say anything to bad about him after I mentioned my wife and I were from Boston and waiting to see him play with the Bruins and all the good thing we heard about him.

I think Dougies high end after being taken away from a system that was very defensive in Boston and a partner like Chara will be a Gord Murphy level, he is who he reminded me of his first season. Big guy, not physical with good offensive skills but weak in his own end.

I wonder how much the ten game suspension he was handed by Damien Cox's favorite hockey commissioner David Branch effected his development as a physical player?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
last time we built a defense from scratch we did it by...

throwing a max contract at the top dman available

then we found a middle of the pack dman in florida they thought was too expensive for their own needs but we had a plan

we grabbed a malcontent out of the ny rangers locker room

we picked up a journeyman guy from calgary

we took a reject from colorado system that was developing slowly for them... another from the columbus farm system

draft picks like lars jonson, matt lashoff, mark stuart, shonne morrison were all long gone by the time our cup winning d was put together

other than chara... not a single one of these moves was celebrated here. we were too busy complaing about brad stuart and paul mara not working out

its fashionable for us to want young sexy names but we are living proof a very good defense can be assembled on the dq. and not all hometown prospects workout

lets hope a colin miller becomes a second coming of boychuk. lets hope we can find another seidenberg or ward that another team cuts bait on.

lets hope krugs offense gets more impressive...

this d could turn around quick. and a good goalie and strong support from forwards helps alot

Great post here.

And remember our GM almost f-ed up the goldmine Kessel return for Jon Blum and/or Kaberle when it was clear the D was solid but in desperate need of a puckmover.

I think we have a lot of guys who are where Ference and Boychuk were in 2011 between Krug, Kevan, and the kids. In 2011 3-6 Dmen weren't really a strength they will be now and going forward. Just add a first pairing D man and things will look very very good with our forwards and goaltending needing next to nothing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Great post here.

And remember our GM almost f-ed up the goldmine Kessel return for Jon Blum and/or Kaberle when it was clear the D was solid but in desperate need of a puckmover.

I think we have a lot of guys who are where Ference and Boychuk were in 2011 between Krug, Kevan, and the kids. In 2011 3-6 Dmen weren't really a strength they will be now and going forward. Just add a first pairing D man and things will look very very good with our forwards and goaltending needing next to nothing.

something neglected in this thread too was just how often Ference was the whipping boy here, fans lined up to drive him to the airport

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
something neglected in this thread too was just how often Ference was the whipping boy here, fans lined up to drive him to the airport

Ference was pretty much loved until his last season here. During that last season (except at the end) he deserved to be a whipping boy.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Ference was pretty much loved until his last season here. During that last season (except at the end) he deserved to be a whipping boy.

I think you should go back and review threads from that time, he was often out with groin issues that limited him consistently in his ability to actually play games and these very boards were far from showing him much love

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
I think you should go back and review threads from that time, he was often out with groin issues that limited him consistently in his ability to actually play games and these very boards were far from showing him much love

I think it took fans a while to learn and understand how Ference took longer than typical times to recover from his injuries. The first 10 to 20 games he played coming back from these injuries were sometimes painful to watch.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Peter Mueller sets sights on job with Bruins
By Kevin Paul Dupont

Some of the gems have gone on to dazzle elsewhere, but the 2006 entry draft delivered great gifts to the Bruins. They took Phil Kessel at No. 5, Milan Lucic at No. 50, and Brad Marchand, the loveable L’il Ball o’ Hate, at No. 71.

Now the Bruins hope to harvest a diamond in the rough in Peter Mueller, the No. 8 pick in the same draft, albeit by the Phoenix Coyotes. Ten years later, and with some career remedial work ahead of him, the 28-year-old Mueller is in the Bruins’ training camp on a personal tryout basis, hoping to prove to everyone, including himself, that he’s ready for a return to NHL prime time.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

then we found a middle of the pack dman in florida they thought was too expensive for their own needs but we had a plan

we took a reject from colorado system that was developing slowly for them... another from the columbus farm system

other than chara... not a single one of these moves was celebrated here. we were too busy complaing about brad stuart and paul mara not working out

its fashionable for us to want young sexy names but we are living proof a very good defense can be assembled on the dq. and not all hometown prospects workout

lets hope a colin miller becomes a second coming of boychuk. lets hope we can find another seidenberg or ward that another team cuts bait on.

this d could turn around quick. and a good goalie and strong support from forwards helps alot

Agree with above and to back that up Pittsburgh did it on the fly this year.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

The game has changed in 10 years. The focus is now on speed.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not sure if Dom can chime in but if he plays well and we give him a 2 year deal around the minimum will be count as one of the players we can expose in the draft since we have to expose a certain amount of eligible playerd at D and Forward? I know Hayes's roster spot is safe for this year in large part due to that reason?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The game has changed in 10 years. The focus is now on speed.

Somebody forgot to tell San Jose that.

Honestly, I think a lot of that is in fans heads.

The fastest team ever built couldn't make it to the elimination rounds of the WCH. I still think the game is about balance. Speed is great, and it's certainly better to be fast than slow, but it's just another tool. Like size. You'd rather a guy be big than small, but it's just another tool. A small guy like Marchand can be as good as any player on the ice. A player who's not really fast like Bergeron or Tavares can be as good as any player on the ice.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
User Actions
Following

Mark Divver
‏@MarkDivver
Peter Mueller's skill jumps out at you. If his heart & head are in it, he could be a very good signing.

A positive review from Mr. Divver is never a bad sign.

Pulling for the kid. He's got a great opportunity, hopefully he takes it.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The fastest team ever built couldn't make it to the elimination rounds of the WCH. I still think the game is about balance. Speed is great, and it's certainly better to be fast than slow, but it's just another tool. Like size. You'd rather a guy be big than small, but it's just another tool. A small guy like Marchand can be as good as any player on the ice. A player who's not really fast like Bergeron or Tavares can be as good as any player on the ice.

The injury to the goalie Matt Murray doomed NA plus the bone headed decision not to tell the team they needed to win in regulation in the final game.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I like quickness,effort,and skill versus speed. Brad Marchand instead of Todd Marchant!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I think you're exactly right about Ference. I know that I had a big problem with the last contract that he was signed to here and a lot of others felt the same way.

I admit I was way of base and didn't appreciate how important he was/could be, prior to 2011.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Be interesting to see what he looks like in the scrimmage tonight. Can't say I've been overly impressed in training camp.
So, what did you think? I saw some flashes, but not a lot of urgency to his play. At his age and with his experience level, he should have been the best F out there, and I don't think he was.

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
Bruins fans had a collective meltdown over that last Ferrence deal

he was horrible whipping boy before he took on a more significant roll as a bruiser and team guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad