Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Nick Foligno (2 years, $3.8M/yr)

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Until you watch him play.

Foligno is done. Cooked. He’ll PK and….yeah. He’ll PK.

I’ll take an overweight player over a guy who can’t even step on the ice or turn to back check because his back is in a blender.

Foligno is done and cooked but only had 2 less Even Strength points than Ritchie last season. Ritchie finished with 26 points to Foligno's 20 points on the year. He played an extra 59 PP minutes as well.

You sound like a bitter Laffs fan who's mad your boy-wonder (idiot) GM gave up a 1st for Foligno and he didn't play well due to injury. Ritchie is a decent Top 9 player and so is Foligno. If either are being used in Top 6 roles for long periods of time, you're in trouble.

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
Until you watch him play.

Foligno is done. Cooked. He’ll PK and….yeah. He’ll PK.

I’ll take an overweight player over a guy who can’t even step on the ice or turn to back check because his back is in a blender.

Seems like you soured on him considering this was your scouting report when you acquired him last season.

"Foligno was one of my top preferred acquisition targets so it's a great pick-up. He's averaged over 18min/game in CBJ for years, so this bolsters the top six and i'd imagine he starts with Matthews. He will handle this team's speed just fine and has a rocket of a wrister. His game is not predicated on speed. His numbers were likely suppressed in Torts' defensive system with poor playmaking C's.

Do not underestimate his intangibles. It's a term that gets laughed at around here, but Foligno's a very vocal leader, something this bench has lacked until this year (even Keefe has said this). He demands accountability. Will be a disciplined bodyguard for Matthews/Marner when things escalate in a long series. A LW power forward for the top 9 has been one of the biggest team needs for years.

However, this price is steep and as I said pre-trade, moving a 1st for a 33 year old rental is disappointing. I've been wrong on Dubas' trades before (e.g. Galchenyuk), but for a player that has to quarantine, you get dozen regular season games + playoffs in a buyers market at an inflated price. If you win a couple rounds it's justified, but Foligno has talked about re-signing with CBJ in the off-season and will price himself out anyway. Pure rental. Lukewarm on this deal but it's necessary given TOR's contender status. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't particularly care for this signing by the Bruins but Ritchie was very frustrating to watch and you'll rarely see any emotion out of him.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Foligno is done and cooked but only had 2 less Even Strength points than Ritchie last season. Ritchie finished with 26 points to Foligno's 20 points on the year. He played an extra 59 PP minutes as well.

You sound like a bitter Laffs fan who's mad your boy-wonder (idiot) GM gave up a 1st for Foligno and he didn't play well due to injury. Ritchie is a decent Top 9 player and so is Foligno. If either are being used in Top 6 roles for long periods of time, you're in trouble.

He cant respond to you.

He musta got lost…..somewhere down the line.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Which begs the question, why pay 3.8 for a player that is pretty much the same guy you could have had for 2.5?

Foligno is a player I admired for a long time but all things considered at this point in time, I go Ritchie @ 2.5 than Foligno @ 3.8.

The thing I fear and I'm willing to bet on is that Foligno will be 1st to get a Crack at 2C. And that has about a 20% chance of being something to hang a hat on.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Foligno will play RW will Coyle and Hall on the current line 2.
Only other option is Studnicka instead of Coyle to start.

Which I would be fine with and actually hopes what happens.

That leaves JDB - Coyle and Haula on line 3.

They will be fine.
So Coyle plays both second and third lines and Smith plays in our imaginations?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
there are other posts made no longer visible.
Visitors are welcome as long as they remember they are guests on other team boards.
Once a line gets crossed their privilege to keep on posting in a thread or board can be removed for awhile.

Actually, Wally, I was quoting a line from "Must a Got Lost." ;)

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Which begs the question, why pay 3.8 for a player that is pretty much the same guy you could have had for 2.5?

Foligno is a player I admired for a long time but all things considered at this point in time, I go Ritchie @ 2.5 than Foligno @ 3.8.

The thing I fear and I'm willing to bet on is that Foligno will be 1st to get a Crack at 2C. And that has about a 20% chance of being something to hang a hat on.
There isn’t a gm in the league that would take ritchie over foligno.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
There isn’t a gm in the league that would take ritchie over foligno.

Probably not, but GM's are wrong as often as they are right.

I wouldn't either but dollar for dollar I take Ritchie and I have been a huge Foligno fan all his career. I've been meh on Ritchie most of his. I'm talking about at this point in time.

Reactions: FinnBear and Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Probably not, but GM's are wrong as often as they are right.

I wouldn't either but dollar for dollar I take Ritchie and I have been a huge Foligno fan all his career. I've been meh on Ritchie most of his. I'm talking about at this point in time.
Foligno is significantly better in all three zones. Ritchie is only effective infront of the net IMO. Ritchie is big and strong. But he can’t kill penalties. He is meh on the pp. he barely fights. He a bit slow. Folignos hockey iq is way higher as well. Who knows maybe foligno plays like he did two or three years ago too. I think he was battling injuries last year.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Foligno is significantly better in all three zones. Ritchie is only effective infront of the net IMO. Ritchie is big and strong. But he can’t kill penalties. He is meh on the pp. he barely fights. He a bit slow. Folignos hockey iq is way higher as well. Who knows maybe foligno plays like he did two or three years ago too. I think he was battling injuries last year.

Foligno is the better player there is no doubt. I'm questioning if Foligno at 33 and will be 34 2 weeks into the season
for 3.8 or Ritchie at 25 for 2.5. I could be wrong but I hang on to Ritchie if only for longevity.

Reactions: Clode and Kegs

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
We're not asking him to score 30goals or pot 60points a year...his experience will help guys like Trent, Stud and probably even Coyle become better players, while being able to play all 3 zones.

Leafs got damaged goods when they traded for him...I'm not too worried. Ritchie was beyond frustrating...Foligno should be a lot more consistent and will not take dumb penalties.

Reactions: Blowfish and DBL84

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Foligno is the better player there is no doubt. I'm questioning if Foligno at 33 and will be 34 2 weeks into the season
for 3.8 or Ritchie at 25 for 2.5. I could be wrong but I hang on to Ritchie if only for longevity.

I guess it turns into a:

Who helps the now more? Foligno in my eyes. Like you said, he’s the better player and they need the better player right now. Ritchie didn’t show much of it wasn’t on the PP and playoff time he was tits on a bull.

If healthy, which is a legitimate concern with NF, he helps more than Ritchie. He can play in all areas, versatile, can keep up to the game still and is more consistent with his play than Ritchie.

I wanted Ritchie brought back to trade and wasn’t a fan of not QO’ing him. However, I’m glad he’s not here at 2.5M.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Oilers taking Seguin #1 is such an interesting what if

Logic had them taking Seguin but the team was run by a couple of twits.

Center before winger every time.
Taylor was the more NHL ready player while Seguin was projected to be the better player long term.

Oilers were rebuilding at the time, they didn't need an NHL ready player, the Bruins did.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Interesting bit from the Chiclets podcast that dropped the other day saying that the Foligno signing was the final nail in the coffin of Krejci coming back.

Supposedly they heard from an "insider" that Krejci may have been miffed about not getting a 2 year deal while Foligno did. Bruins allegedly wanted to go year to year with Krejci.

Sounds like a load of ish to me. Sweeney can't be that dumb...

If anything I'm thinking the Foligno deal was because Krejci wasn't coming back. Feel like this salary was earmarked for #46.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Interesting bit from the Chiclets podcast that dropped the other day saying that the Foligno signing was the final nail in the coffin of Krejci coming back.

Supposedly they heard from an "insider" that Krejci may have been miffed about not getting a 2 year deal while Foligno did. Bruins allegedly wanted to go year to year with Krejci.

Sounds like a load of ish to me. Sweeney can't be that dumb...

If anything I'm thinking the Foligno deal was because Krejci wasn't coming back. Feel like this salary was earmarked for #46.

I don’t buy it, if years were a factor and he was miffed he would take 2-3 years elsewhere. I think he just wanted to go home after probably not going home for a long time

Reactions: KnightofBoston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->