Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Justin Hickman to an Entry-Level Contract

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
This is a problem.

It's one of the reasons they have struggled this year and in the playoffs last season against MTL. I really don't understand why teams can't have both skilled guys and tough guys? In fact, I think a good mix is imperative for winning hockey. Not saying this is you, but a lot of B's fans seem to think they can only have one type.

Hickman is supposed to be a high character guy, and he played through that shoulder injury from early on in the season. I am sure his intangibles, as well as his size, earned him the contract.

Fully agree.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Has anyone that has seen him know if he would be a legitimate thought for a fourth liner next year; or is he more likely to be in Providence for a while??

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This is a problem.

It's one of the reasons they have struggled this year and in the playoffs last season against MTL. I really don't understand why teams can't have both skilled guys and tough guys? In fact, I think a good mix is imperative for winning hockey. Not saying this is you, but a lot of B's fans seem to think they can only have one type.

Hickman is supposed to be a high character guy, and he played through that shoulder injury from early on in the season. I am sure his intangibles, as well as his size, earned him the contract.

I agree 100% and I'm a guy that loves tough, physical jockey with lots of fights and enforcers.

The Lucic-Spooner-Pastrnak line right now is a very good mix, a legit tough big forward with some skill with two small, speedy, skilled players. A good GM should be able to create chemistry like that, or at least try to, on all his lines. Not to the same level of talent/skill/toughness but variations of it.

Look at the Merlot line when it was effective, speed in Paille, toughness and leadership in Thornton and solid defense and faceoff ability in Campbell, who also played a tough game.

My problem is when you try to adjust to much, like Chiarelli did this year, and lose your grit and toughness and replace it with soft players. There is a place for a Smith, Eriksson or even Griffith on the team but they need to be off set with a Thornton, Randell, Prust, Wilson or even a Matt Hendricks.

Not to get into fantasy team construction but the Bruins next GM should look at moving an Eriksson for Tom Wilson and signing Steve Downie as a free agent, possibly even the much reviled Chris Stewart if the price is right should be considered as a free agent.

Try to get what you can for an unsigned Soderberg and put a young player in as the third line center. You can wind up with a group of forwards looking something like this:

Lucic-Krecji-Pastrnak
Marchand-Bergeron-Connolly
Smith-Spooner-Wilson
Ferlin-Kelly-Downie

Toughness, speed on every line and tough to play against with Marchand and Downie being pests, Downie is also willing to drop his gloves.

Hamilton, Krug and possibly Morrow add speed on D to go with Siedenberg, Chara and McQuaid. Would like to see a top 4 D added.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Has anyone that has seen him know if he would be a legitimate thought for a fourth liner next year; or is he more likely to be in Providence for a while??

Most likely he will need a year in Providence, especially coming off pretty major shoulder surgery. A call up or two wouldn't surprise me but I have wanted Flick and Randell to get looks this year and they haven't. Hickman does project as a better player than both of those however.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I like the signing. He has good numbers plus grit. A couple of years in P with a couple of call ups a year would be great. If he's developed right he'll be a big asset/.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Scouting report on him? Ceiling/Potential?

Here's my post from a previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=95247321&postcount=10

I visited friends in Seattle for Labor Day and dragged my college roommate to Everett where they were having a WHL preseason tournament. I saw a couple Seattle games with the hopes of seeing Matt Barzal and Ryan Gropp, but both were out with injuries. Hickman was the guy that caught my eye during those games.

His skillset reminded me of David Clarkson and after doing more reading on Hickman afterwards, they seem to have similar development paths up to this point. I was curious if the Devils might have any interest given our lack of RWs in the system.

And the comparison to Clarkson is meant as a compliment (ie, New Jersey Clarkson, not Toronto Clarkson). Even the way they stickhandle was similar.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Definitely not. Hickman isn't a fighter nor is he anywhere close to as tough as Thornton. Sadly players like that don't exist anymore. Hickman will fight but that isn't his forte. I'd describe him more as a gritty two way player. Your 4th line prediction is probably accurate (anything higher than that at the NHL level would exceed expectations in my opinion).

According to DYG, he's only lost twice in 27 fights. I'd say he's an ok fighter, maybe like a Matt Martin type fighter, doesn't win many, doesn't lose many.

Hordichuk_24

According to DYG, he's only lost twice in 27 fights. I'd say he's an ok fighter, maybe like a Matt Martin type fighter, doesn't win many, doesn't lose many.

I am very familiar with Hickman including his fights. How do you think they end up online? :)

My point wasn't intended to be a dig on him or his fighting ability. It was more about the Thornton comparison. Guys like Thornton don't exist anymore. Not just because of the rules and the changes in the game. Guys just aren't that tough anymore period. And if anybody thinks Hickman will develop into that don't count on it. That's all I was trying to say. Matt Martin is a better comparison. Somebody else previous used David Clarkson as an example. I can kind of see that. Although I think that is more a best case scenario for Hickman (Clarkson at his peak with the Devils). I see him more as a bottom six forward at best. If I had to compare him to somebody on the Bruins right now I would say Campbell. A tougher version of Campbell but he brings a lot of the same qualities as a player.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I am very familiar with Hickman including his fights. How do you think they end up online? :)

My point wasn't intended to be a dig on him or his fighting ability. It was more about the Thornton comparison. Guys like Thornton don't exist anymore. Not just because of the rules and the changes in the game. Guys just aren't that tough anymore period. And if anybody thinks Hickman will develop into that don't count on it. That's all I was trying to say. Matt Martin is a better comparison. Somebody else previous used David Clarkson as an example. I can kind of see that. Although I think that is more a best case scenario for Hickman (Clarkson at his peak with the Devils). I see him more as a bottom six forward at best. If I had to compare him to somebody on the Bruins right now I would say Campbell. A tougher version of Campbell but he brings a lot of the same qualities as a player.

A tougher version of Greg Campbell sounds pretty good tome.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Limited confidence that Cassidy will develop him right. Seems like anyone that doesn't get out of there in less than a season plateaus or regresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->