Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Justin Hickman to an Entry-Level Contract

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Anyone else notice the moves the Bruins have made recently are for guys with a bit more height and weight.

It's a good sign. Bruins have never been known as a skilled team, good to see their getting back to big, power skaters who can play. Connolly definitely fits into that category as well. Love this signing.

Arthur*

It's a good sign. Bruins have never been known as a skilled team, good to see their getting back to big, power skaters who can play. Connolly definitely fits into that category as well. Love this signing.
Yep. Since the Habs always give us a hard time and they fill their roster with speedy little guys, everyone thinks that we have to mimic them to be successful. Chiarelli has gone down that route to a degree, and all it gets us is a mishmash roster that doesn't know what its identity is.

Look at the roster that won the cup. I'd only use the term "fast" to describe four members of that team: Marchand, Paille, Seguin, and a pre-knee injury Peverly. Guys like Krejci and Bergeron aren't pluggers, but they play a slow-paced cerebral game. The team had just as many guys who were flat-out slow (Lucic, Horton, Recchi, Thornton).

Speed is fine, but it alone is not the key to victory or the only way to beat Montreal or whoever the boogeyman is this year. In fact, I'd be much more confident in a roster of slower players who know what their strength is and are all committed to it than a roster of half physical big guys and a small speedster thrown in on each line to try to force a balance, because it doesn't work out.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Yep. Since the Habs always give us a hard time and they fill their roster with speedy little guys, everyone thinks that we have to mimic them to be successful. Chiarelli has gone down that route to a degree, and all it gets us is a mishmash roster that doesn't know what its identity is.

Look at the roster that won the cup. I'd only use the term "fast" to describe four members of that team: Marchand, Paille, Seguin, and a pre-knee injury Peverly. Guys like Krejci and Bergeron aren't pluggers, but they play a slow-paced cerebral game. The team had just as many guys who were flat-out slow (Lucic, Horton, Recchi, Thornton).

Speed is fine, but it alone is not the key to victory or the only way to beat Montreal or whoever the boogeyman is this year. In fact, I'd be much more confident in a roster of slower players who know what their strength is and are all committed to it than a roster of half physical big guys and a small speedster thrown in on each line to try to force a balance, because it doesn't work out.

If you crush the ****ers it doesn't matter how fast they can skate ;)

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Haha, of course.

In June Chiarelli's probably going to try to draft someone who died 3 years ago.

This is a list of players that I want to invite to Spring Training this year.

I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.

Most of these guys never had a prime.

This guy here is dead.

Cross him off then.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Burns-Roster.png

Chiarelli = Burns
Neely = Smithers

pure gold.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

This is true, but I guess the problem with the team right now, among other things, is that we have even fewer guys who are "fast".

Marchy. Pasta. Uhm. I wouldn't really consider Paille fast, TBH. Seguin is gone. Who else? Er. Ah. Soda? No. Not Eriksson or Smith. Amazingly, we've managed to become slower than our 2011 corps. And even some of our former average skaters now looking more like pylons, that is for sure-- Chara, Seids, for example.

Connolly might add speed, but he's known more for his shot, than speed. And, well, I'd like him to at least play a game before we conclude what he brings.

RoR21

May 24, 2011
Nice pick up

While Hickman isn't the fastest guy on the ice he's a pretty good technical skater and rarely gets caught out of position, he's a big guy and really gets in hard on the forecheck and can deliver some big hits. Was able to avoid hard matchups early in the year with Bazral in and when he went down was still able to score at a modest rate. Decent defensive awareness. Really good on faceoffs this year though for all the physical traits he has part of it is tied to being 20 in a league dominated by 16-19 year olds.

Its a nice pick up without giving up an asset but I'd be surprised if he ever became more than a 3rd line bruising winger or center, more likely ends up as a 4th line energy guy.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nice pick up

While Hickman isn't the fastest guy on the ice he's a pretty good technical skater and rarely gets caught out of position, he's a big guy and really gets in hard on the forecheck and can deliver some big hits. Was able to avoid hard matchups early in the year with Bazral in and when he went down was still able to score at a modest rate. Decent defensive awareness. Really good on faceoffs this year though for all the physical traits he has part of it is tied to being 20 in a league dominated by 16-19 year olds.

Its a nice pick up without giving up an asset but I'd be surprised if he ever became more than a 3rd line bruising winger or center, more likely ends up as a 4th line energy guy.

I hope we would give kids like this a chance to play on the 4th line with cheap cap hit rather than pay +5M to our 4th line.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Nice pick up

I'd take a 3rd liner any day of the week!

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Nice pick up

Nice post informative than you.
This is not a player I know anything about ,but what I will say iMO ,this is a good move bye Boston picking up a player that may help you in the future without losing assets is alway a positive.

posters coming here only to make smart remarks like some I have read recently are not an asset. Just one mans opinion

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
A young power forward with a shoulder problem doesn't seem like a good thing.

I should add I guess this is Cassidy's next bench warmer.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
There is a fin named ahti oksanen that plays D for BU who is huge, moves well and has like 20 goals. Are Boston scouting this guy, can he be signed? Please?

PrisonMike

Nov 26, 2007
McKinney,TX
There is a fin named ahti oksanen that plays D for BU who is huge, moves well and has like 20 goals. Are Boston scouting this guy, can he be signed? Please?

He played his first two years at D, this year moved to wing and has exploded in goals.He isnt the best skater but has tremendous size and a good touch to his passes and shots.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

This is a problem.

It's one of the reasons they have struggled this year and in the playoffs last season against MTL. I really don't understand why teams can't have both skilled guys and tough guys? In fact, I think a good mix is imperative for winning hockey. Not saying this is you, but a lot of B's fans seem to think they can only have one type.

Hickman is supposed to be a high character guy, and he played through that shoulder injury from early on in the season. I am sure his intangibles, as well as his size, earned him the contract.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
This is a problem.

It's one of the reasons they have struggled this year and in the playoffs last season against MTL. I really don't understand why teams can't have both skilled guys and tough guys? In fact, I think a good mix is imperative for winning hockey. Not saying this is you, but a lot of B's fans seem to think they can only have one type.

Hickman is supposed to be a high character guy, and he played through that shoulder injury from early on in the season. I am sure his intangibles, as well as his size, earned him the contract.

I agree but , let's give Bruin management credit for recognizing this and, being able to sign him. As a Bruin fan I am able to see ,what a good GM , PC is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->