Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign John Moore 5 years 2.75 aav

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You do realize players get hurt right? And it's not like Gryz (who I'm a fan of) is a super-established player or is making big money. It's OK to have NHL caliber depth at the D position, it's actually a good thing and most teams want more than just 6 NHL caliber D.

And you do realize we have players like zboril in the pipeline who played well in prov last season that can be called up right?

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
This is not a good deal

You can think it's not bad and it won't be that big of a deal

But its not good

Sweeney gets an A for drafting and his trades can be hit or miss but his FA signings are comical at this point

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
I don't hate the player, as long as they aren't counting on him in a top 4 role. I thought it was too many years at first blush, but if the cap keeps going up, this could actually be a bargain in 2-3 seasons. It gives us options and depth, I can't imagine we break the season with 8 NHL defensemen, somethings going to have to give somewhere.

There HAS to be more to come after this.....

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And you do realize we have players like zboril in the pipeline who played well in prov last season that can be called up right?

From most reports Zboril doesn't appear ready, even though I expect him to get a cup of coffee this year at some point (you can almost bank on a couple LD being injured at the same time).

This is a good situation for the Bruins having the 4 LD and 4 RD who have all proven they can play at the NHL level.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'd take Panarin as a 1-year rental for just picks and prospects.

But not a chance do I subtract from the current roster moving a key player like Krug to bring him in as a rental. And they can't afford to spend cap space on 3 elite wingers. Bruins already have two.

No cup champion has built their team by investing big money AND term at the wing position.

Did Washington have a Panarin-caliber winger as their 3rd best wing?

How about Pittsburgh? Or Chicago? Or LA?

All those teams were built up the middle.

Bruins have bergy and krejci up the middle with high end prospects in JFK, Frederic and Studnicka all with the potential to come up this year or in the next season or two.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd take Panarin as a 1-year rental for just picks and prospects.

But not a chance do I subtract from the current roster moving a key player like Krug to bring him in as a rental. And they can't afford to spend cap space on 3 elite wingers. Bruins already have two.

No cup champion has built their team by investing big money AND term at the wing position.

Did Washington have a Panarin-caliber winger as their 3rd best wing?

How about Pittsburgh? Or Chicago? Or LA?

All those teams were built up the middle.

I agree that you rather build from the middle but what if you can't?
You turn something else as your strenght and try to compete.

Marchand& Pasta both are on steal contracts, neither of them are making superstar money, they are making millions less than them. No Boston player in making superstar money.

Marchand- Pasta
DeBrusk- Pananin
gives you crazy offense from the wing and you still have Bergeron as the franchise C.

Having 3 around ppg wingers is better than 2.

Reactions: wintersej

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
Shame we didn't spend it on Jvr or maybe give Neal the 6 year deal he's looking for.

Every team has players with those salaries.

We have 3 just for our bottom pairing, haha.

Me I’d rather have the space to trade for a top 4 guy making 7 that his team thinks is a million too much than stockpiling guys who can’t hack stepping up into that role.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins have bergy and krejci up the middle with high end prospects in JFK, Frederic and Studnicka all with the potential to come up this year or in the next season or two.

Doesn't really help them much right now.

Stop banking on these prospects. I like all of them but there is a chance none of them ever make it.

If they are going to go out and spend cap space and assets to bring in a forward, bring in a C not a another winger.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Obviously they don't feel any of them are at that level yet.

We honestly have no idea how management feels until the off season is over. Right now it’s just speculation by people on this forum purely based off them not playing last year. A lot can change in a year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Moore being paid as third pair

He’s 27 with 5 years so I’d he in as the 6/7 and McQuaid out?

De Hann is available will be interesting to see what he gets

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Stop banking on these prospects. I like all of them but there is a chance none of them ever make it.

If they are going to go out and spend cap space and assets to bring in a forward, bring in a C not a another winger.

Of course there’s a chance none of them make it but there’s a far better chance at least two of the. If not all 3 do.

There’s also a chance everyone on the roster gets injured next year and we have to play the entire providence team. But similar to none of those 3 prospects making it I would say those chances are insanely slim

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree that you rather build from the middle but what if you can't?
You turn something else as your strenght and try to compete.

Marchand& Pasta both are on steal contracts, neither of them are making superstar money, they are making millions less than them. No Boston player in making superstar money.

Marchand- Pasta
DeBrusk- Pananin
gives you crazy offense from the wing and you still have Bergeron as the franchise C.

Having 3 around ppg wingers is better than 2

You invest in one area just means that eventually you'll have to subtract from another.

Wingers are the least important position players on the team the way the game is played. Debrusk will need a new contract sooner rather than later.

Spending all sorts of cap space on wingers at the expense of C and D is moronic.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Of course there’s a chance none of them make it but there’s a far better chance at least two of the. If not all 3 do.

There’s also a chance everyone on the roster gets injured next year and we have to play the entire providence team. But similar to none of those 3 prospects making it I would say those chances are insanely slim

The odds of all 3 are extremely low.

2 of them making it isn't that high.

The odds are just one of them becomes a bonafide point producing centerman is the most likely outcome.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
We honestly have no idea how management feels until the off season is over. Right now it’s just speculation by people on this forum purely based off them not playing last year. A lot can change in a year.

Not really it has to do with re upping Gryz to 2 years and signing a UFA for 5, both lefties makes me think Zboril is not part of the answer for 18-19

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You invest in one area just means that eventually you'll have to subtract from another.

Wingers are the least important position players on the team the way the game is played. Debrusk will need a new contract sooner rather than later.

Spending all sorts of cap space on wingers at the expense of C and D is moronic.

Pasta& Marchand are making 6M, it's less than these UFA guys way lesser players are getting from the market.
All 3 of Marchand/Pasta/Panarin are franchise type of wingers, all of them make your team better.

How and where do you spent the money on C? More Backes signings? That's the guys you get from the UFA market, or maybe Stastny at 6.5M?
Panarin is superior to those players.

No one will trade you their franchise C, it's extremely difficult to draft a franchise C from a playoff position and even if you land one it's 5-7 years away when you have to pay that guy.

So how do you spent the money on C on quality?

I'd rather have a franchise W than Backes/Stastny type of UFA signing.

I'd get your point if Marchand& Pasta were in the 8-10M range, but they are in the 6M range, and quality u30 players are easy to move.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Not really it has to do with re upping Gryz to 2 years and signing a UFA for 5, both lefties makes me think Zboril is not part of the answer for 18-19

I never said he was the answer for this season a a savior on D. I said he have 8 nhl ready defenders right now who have all produced. If there are injuries zboril can be called up for an interim period for a few games while players are injured.

Just saying I don’t see us going into the season with chara, krug, gryz, mcavoy, Carlo, miller and mcquaid all on the roster. If we trade one of them which I expect we will and injuries do happen I assume a trade similar to what we did with golden will happen.

Worst case scenario zboril is called up for a few games.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Pasta& Marchand are making 6M, it's less than these UFA guys way lesser players are getting from the market.
All 3 of Marchand/Pasta/Panarin are franchise type of wingers, all of them make your team better.

How and where do you spent the money on C? More Backes signings? That's the guys you get from the UFA market, or maybe Stastny at 6.5M?
Panarin is superior to those players.

No one will trade you their franchise C, it's extremely difficult to draft a franchise C from a playoff position and even if you land one it's 5-7 years away when you have to pay that guy.

So how do you spent the money on C on quality?

I'd rather have a franchise W than Backes/Stastny type of UFA signing.

I'd get your point if Marchand& Pasta were in the 8-10M range, but they are in the 6M range, and quality u30 players are easy to move.

That part makes sense.

But your not getting Panarin right now for free.

You can get Ryan O'Reilly if it's a center you want. They don't move often but they do move.

And even thought Marchand and Pasta are on good contracts, those are still high number contracts.

Why are you moving quality under 30 players?

Backes would of been fine had they actually used him as a center and not a grinding winger.

I'd do Panarin for picks/prospects for one year. But no way do I extend him out long-term and have to subtract from other positions to have a strong team on the wing and crap up the middle. Ask the Hab fans how the quality wing/lousy C and D plan is working for them.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

If the Bruins are going to keep the big line together then your two best wingers are on one line . Krejci doesn’t look like he is going anywhere, so why bring in another center? The Bruins had no secondary scoring against Tampa , how do you suggest they improve on that next year ?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The odds of all 3 are extremely low.

2 of them making it isn't that high.

The odds are just one of them becomes a bonafide point producing centerman is the most likely outcome.

Agree to disagree but I think it is much more likely we trade one of our 8 roster defenders before the season starts than at least two of those guys not making it to the nhl and being serviceable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->