Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign John Moore 5 years 2.75 aav

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I just think something else is coming that's all.

As for having extra insurance... Isn't that what Providence is for? Or our prospects not ready yet? Gotta start getting them NHL time somehow. Before it's on another team.

It looks like we will be rolling 8 NHL-caliber d-men, not what you have typically in Providence. Any one of those depth guys: McQuaid, Grizz, Moore are way better than the Tommy Cross types you can stash in Providence and not worry about clearing waivers. I am assuming by this move that they don't feel that any of the D-prospects are ready to make the step up, but of course that could change at camp. I don't see any reason for the team to rush them and possibly ruin their development. On the other had, there could be moves coming :dunno: But if not, we are well-prepared for injuries.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
But how many teams are "top-end heavy"? Who has 4 top-line D?
And if we did have 4 1-2 D-men, how much $ would it cost? Who do we lose to have a top-heavy D?

Depth is depth. To say the B's are "overflowing" with 3-6 D-men is a bit ridiculous.
Your depth defencemen aren't going to be "extra" 1-2 D-men, are they?

Chara (still), McAvoy, Krug and Carlo have all played well in top 4 roles, bringing different skillsets. When needed Miller can play 2D. Sounds like Moore can maybe as well. I like that Moore brings more size. I like what Krug and Grizz bring – it's needed – but we were pushed around by Tampa in the POs. If Moore adds size and can move the puck (maybe not quite as well as Krug?), it gives us another dimension on D.

It would be great to have a top-heavy D. Who wouldn't want that? But I don't see it happening unless we scuttle our forward ranks or goalie quality. We'll see how this all works out, but I think it's clear they're going for depth and balance on D.

What were you reading ???:laugh:

What I actually said was :

That depth is great too have and the addition of Moore was more of a depth move than a top four move. No where did I ever mention we need 4 top 2 defenseman.(Although that would be unreal but very unrealistic not even the 1970's habs had that:laugh:).

I did say another top d-man to play with McAvoy would be nice or another top 4 d-man.
I also said if they want to compete for a cup they'll need to bring one in.

The only thing you got right out of my post. That I actually stated was their over flowing with 3-6 defenseman. Let me break that down for you. It was basically a statement saying they need another player besides McAvoy who's a legitimate top 2 defenseman.That's if they want to be contenders for the cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
It looks like we will be rolling 8 NHL-caliber d-men, not what you have typically in Providence. Any one of those depth guys: McQuaid, Grizz, Moore are way better than the Tommy Cross types you can stash in Providence and not worry about clearing waivers. I am assuming by this move that they don't feel that any of the D-prospects are ready to make the step up, but of course that could change at camp. I don't see any reason for the team to rush them and possibly ruin their development. On the other had, there could be moves coming :dunno: But if not, we are well-prepared for injuries.

I guess that in of itself worries me.

Much rather give a guy like Zboril or any of the other guys a few games here and there should injuries happen. I guess this means they WON'T have to buy a defenseman at deadline. Or shouldn't be looking to buy depth then.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
That’s the point. The issue isn’t necessarily, at least for me, about Moore the player or the contract. And if Sweeney likes the idea of 8 NHL ready Dman, in theory I’m fine with that too. The issue to me is cap space and roster size. Moore means somebody sits, most of the time, who makes a decent contract and would have trade value. When you don’t have a 3rd line center or a reliable 2nd line scorer, that’s an odd priority system.

But lik we say every year on this same date, it’s just the start of the summer. The problem is, we say that and historically it ends up being the end of meaningful moves. I think if that’s the case again it’s a major problem.
I'm afraid of that as well.

Sweeney's trade record hasn't been overly impressive either.

Reactions: Strafer

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Much rather give a guy like Zboril or any of the other guys a few games here and there should injuries happen. I guess this means they WON'T have to buy a defenseman at deadline. Or shouldn't be looking to buy depth then.

As I pointed out earlier, though, these guys are still young, especially for d-men. Zboril and Lauzon are going to be 2nd year pros, and Urho will be an AHL rookie. Carlo and McAvoy are not normal. If these kids were heading into their 4th year with no looks then it's probably time to worry.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
This team has been burnt by injuries to D late in the season and in the playoffs more than once since 2013. Grabbing cheap experienced D with some upside is something that absolutely needs to be done. Does Moore bowl me over? Of course not. He has been nothing special, but I still like the move. The term is pointless since he will be easy to move if things don't work out. If he does work out then the signing looks tremendous. I too would love to have an additional defensively great top 4 D, but those guys don't come cheap. It's only July 2, so DS still has plenty of time to cut a deal or two before the season. And if he doesn't, the Bs still have a lot to work with. I'm just thankful he hasn't made a mistake like other GMs and signed an aging player for too much term and too much money. Been down that road before. So far this summer he has done fine. Still plenty of time to make good moves, or screw up. Hopefully the former.

Reactions: Tmac37 and Dr Hook

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

problem is though that if you are trying to get a some kids a few games 'here or there', what do you do the other 70+ games?

Mcavoy is still learning the pro game and logging big minutes, Carlo still has zero playoff experience, Miller sucked in last years playoffs with the exception of one great game, and I wont get into my Mcquaid man crush.

Chara is just getting old, no way around it, Krug is not a 5 mill defensive d-man, he's a 5 mill offensive d-man though, and Gryz has a ton to prove and is just a kid to.

Baring any trades going of guys going out on D, maybe this is the year they actually start to give Chara some games off and reduce his minutes thru the regular season.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
problem is though that if you are trying to get a some kids a few games 'here or there', what do you do the other 70+ games?

Mcavoy is still learning the pro game and logging big minutes, Carlo still has zero playoff experience, Miller sucked in last years playoffs with the exception of one great game, and I wont get into my Mcquaid man crush.

Chara is just getting old, no way around it, Krug is not a 5 mill defensive d-man, he's a 5 mill offensive d-man though, and Gryz has a ton to prove and is just a kid to.

Baring any trades going of guys going out on D, maybe this is the year they actually start to give Chara some games off and reduce his minutes thru the regular season.
I don't know. Do what every other team does and play the guys in the position they are assigned to be in? Depth is nice, and I guess if Sweeney's end goal is to be 'adequate for the playoffs incase of injury', then sure, we have 8 defensemen. I'm just not sure I see an upgrade in the 6 on ice defenseman we have when healthy, which I HOPE is a goal of his.

It's not an awful move, I just question how good of a move it's going to be unless they do anything else, unless they are just bandaiding until the inevitable injuries.

It's also sending the message to the Providence players, "You aren't good enough, here's a bigger mountain."; which has been the opposite motive they've had for their forwards. Although they did bury Beleskey when it was obvious he was surpassed.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I don't know. Do what every other team does and play the guys in the position they are assigned to be in? Depth is nice, and I guess if Sweeney's end goal is to be 'adequate for the playoffs incase of injury', then sure, we have 8 defensemen. I'm just not sure I see an upgrade in the 6 on ice defenseman we have when healthy, which I HOPE is a goal of his.

It's not an awful move, I just question how good of a move it's going to be unless they do anything else, unless they are just bandaiding until the inevitable injuries.

It's also sending the message to the Providence players, "You aren't good enough, here's a bigger mountain."; which has been the opposite motive they've had for their forwards.

isn't that what they are doing? Playing the D-men in the positions they are assigned? If the status quo remains, then there just isn't room for the 'kids' to get some games.

you don't have to rely on Gryz every game, you have some injury protection etc etc etc.

as far as improving, I'd be all for it.

but who in the top 'four' are you improving on (or moving out?)

Chara, Mcavoy, Carlo, Krug? (and I am not against moving anyone of them not named Mcavoy)

but that's were your improvement comes in, the top 4. the #5&6 spots are going to be your low end low pay players unless they are on ELC.

and as far as the kids in Providence, hate to say it, but this is the big boy league, if they aren't good enough to earn a spot, they aren't getting a spot.

Gryelcyk got a chance played well and stuck. that's earning a spot.
Mcavoy was given the chance (but lets be honest, it was expected that he'd start in NHL) and earned.
Carlo earned it out of camp.

Take Gryz out and maybe they give a kid more of a chance, but from all accounts for the end of season reviews of providence, the talk was that they didn't feel any of the kid d'men were ready to make the leap.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Okay Dan I’ll put this another way so you aren’t forced to just defend the GM again...

What do you think is more important - having a solid 4th dman for each side for depth, or having an NHL caliber 3rd line center? Or 2nd line scoring winger?

Surely you defended the Nash trade at the deadline, as did I, so you saw the need. That need remains, and now maybe more so. Do you think that need is less than the need for a better 4th left defenseman? Do you think the difference between Gryz/Whomever or McQuaid/whomever is more impactful to the team than say Riley Nash vs. Wagner at 3C? Or a bona fide NHL scorer vs Ryan Donato at 2RW?

And yeah, it’s July 2nd and there’s no reason he can’t solve those problems too. But again, we aren’t talking about a hyperactive GM here. I see why people are a bit concerned with all this talk of 4 left D-men when we are missing two key spots in our top 9.
They are missing maybe 1 top 9 guy if you don’t consider Bjork like I do

The question is where you put Heinen

My take

Marchand- Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Donato-Heinen - Backes

Or

Marchand-Bergeron- Pastrnak
DeBrusk- Krejci-Heinen
Donato - Backes - Bjork/Cehlarik

Or

Marchand- Bergeron- Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci Heinen
Donato- open R - Backes
Bjork Cehlarik

My favorite
Marchand- Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk- Krejci- Pastrnak
Donato-Heinen- Backes

I can’t find the 2 missing guys though

I admit regardless of my exceptionally high SAT score in math it was only my third best subject

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017

My take

Marchand- Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Donato-Heinen - Backes

Or

DeBrusk- Krejci-Heinen

Or

DeBrusk-Krejci Heinen
Donato- open R - Backes
Bjork Cehlarik

My favorite
Marchand- Bergeron-Bjork
Donato-Heinen- Backes

I admit regardless of my exceptionally high SAT score in math it was only my third best subject

That's okay Dan, it was my fifth best subject and I got my degree in it.

You're just ascribing the 80th percentile outcome to every player below the top line and stating it as a 50th percentile outcome.

When looking at the Bruins forwards as though you'd like the team to be a cup contender, I'd estimate they're 1.5 top 6 forwards short and 2.5 top 9 forwards short.

Common mistake though.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
As far as the Moore signing's term, I saw another poster (I forget who) bring up that this contract may be expansion draft bait. Here we have a legit NHL defenseman with a reasonable cap hit that will be left exposed when the (presumably) Seattle expansion draft takes place. If there are other, more attractive players we need to expose, Sweeney could offer a mid round pick as incentive for Seattle to take Moore. I would think by the time that draft happens, at least one of the LD prospects should be ready, and until then, we have the player to help with our depth on the back end.

Reactions: HOLDEN44FAN

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That's okay Dan, it was my fifth best subject and I got my degree in it.

You're just ascribing the 80th percentile outcome to every player below the top line and stating it as a 50th percentile outcome.

When looking at the Bruins forwards as though you'd like the team to be a cup contender, I'd estimate they're 1.5 top 6 forwards short and 2.5 top 9 forwards short.

Common mistake though.
We will see

Is that 80th percentile for real - if so I can’t argue

Actually your reasoning is why I wanted Riley Nash back

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
We will see

Is that 80th percentile for real - if so I can’t argue

Actually your reasoning is why I wanted Riley Nash back

See, for me, rather than trying to bring back a guy like Nash at 2m+ or signing local Zac Rinaldo at all, I think they'd be best served packaging some of those guys and those contracts and consolidating.

My estimation is that the Bruins should have made zero 7/1 signings and 3 hockey trades.

Still time for the latter though.

Backes, 1 of Heinen/DeBrusk, 1 of Bjork/Donato, 1 of Krug/Gryz, and 1 of McQuaid/K. Miller would not be on the roster come training camp.

I'd spend less time (and cap space) worrying about 4L and 4Rd in July and more worried about why my forward lines looked like a donut in the playoffs.

Reactions: Strafer and DKH

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

My take

Marchand- Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Donato-Heinen - Backes

Or

DeBrusk- Krejci-Heinen

Or

DeBrusk-Krejci Heinen
Donato- open R - Backes
Bjork Cehlarik

My favorite
Marchand- Bergeron-Bjork
Donato-Heinen- Backes

Well you can’t find the 2 missing spots because you are assuming either Danton Heinen can play NHL center overnight or that Bjork is ready to jump into top 9 with no issues or that David Backes is suddenly able to play the spot we all thought he’d play originally, two years after acquiring him and fresh off another concussion. If you’re gonna assume any or all of those things work out, then sure all is rosey. But then why not assume Gryz or Krug can learn to play bigger, or that a young D prospect has a great camp and becomes the next Carlo. Why do you get to be selectively unrealistic/optimistic?

I think the Nash trade and the Kovalchuk/Tavares pursuits are effectively proof positive of the top 6 offensive need. He can’t fail to land the right guy then just say “we’re fine...didn’t need him anyway!”. We all know that’s crap.

As an aside, I like Bjork too. I like all the forward kids. But I think to compete with TB/TO, we’re gonna need more proven firepower right away. I’d like to see a Panarin or equivalent (and ideally a bona fide 3C) added. If we “need” David Krejci at all to be the key for secondary scoring, we are dead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer and Hali33

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well you can’t find the 2 missing spots because you are assuming either Danton Heinen can play NHL center overnight or that Bjork is ready to jump into top 9 with no issues or that David Backes is suddenly able to play the spot we all thought he’d play originally, two years after acquiring him and fresh off another concussion. If you’re gonna assume any or all of those things work out, then sure all is rosey. But then why not assume Gryz or Krug can learn to play bigger, or that a young D prospect has a great camp and becomes the next Carlo. Why do you get to be selectively unrealistic/optimistic?

I think the Nash trade and the Kovalchuk/Tavares pursuits are effectively proof positive of the top 6 offensive need. He can’t fail to land the right guy then just say “we’re fine...didn’t need him anyway!”. We all know that’s crap.

As an aside, I like Bjork too. I like all the forward kids. But I think to compete with TB/TO, we’re gonna need more proven firepower right away. I’d like to see a Panarin or equivalent (and ideally a bona fide 3C) added. If we “need” David Krejci at all to be the key for secondary scoring, we are dead.

They better get a good read on him as the season goes. On every other team the center makes the wingers better, but for some reason everyone bitches about his wingers holding him up. 7.25 cap number you better make everyone better. This is it for him as far as I'm concerned. If he can't up the emotion/effort/production then find a sucker who still considers him a "1A" . I'd rather go down in flames with someone else playing two C then to see the same unproductive Krejci when it counts. And I say this because I know what he's capable of, he was good vs Toronto.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
They better get a good read on him as the season goes. On every other team the center makes the wingers better, but for some reason everyone *****es about his wingers holding him up. 7.25 cap number you better make everyone better. This is it for him as far as I'm concerned. If he can't up the emotion/effort/production then find a sucker who still considers him a "1A" . I'd rather go down in flames with someone else playing two C then to see the same unproductive Krejci when it counts. And I say this because I know what he's capable of, he was good vs Toronto.

Great post and I concur!;)

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
What were you reading ???:laugh:

What I actually said was :

That depth is great too have and the addition of Moore was more of a depth move than a top four move. No where did I ever mention we need 4 top 2 defenseman.(Although that would be unreal but very unrealistic not even the 1970's habs had that:laugh:).

I did say another top d-man to play with McAvoy would be nice or another top 4 d-man.
I also said if they want to compete for a cup they'll need to bring one in.

The only thing you got right out of my post. That I actually stated was their over flowing with 3-6 defenseman. Let me break that down for you. It was basically a statement saying they need another player besides McAvoy who's a legitimate top 2 defenseman.That's if they want to be contenders for the cup.

What you said was "Its great to have depth but you still need to be top end heavy."

1-2
3-4
5-6

right?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your numbering approach, but you seemed to be suggesting that we're "overflowing" with 3-6 quality D-men, i.e., everything BUT top-line D-men, which implies that we need extra 1-2-quality D-men than usual to be "top-heavy".

That's not the same as saying you'd like to see them bring in another top-4. That doesn't necessarily add more 1-2, it just creates more overflow of 3-6.

You seem to be suggesting (in terms of quality) the team needs something like:
1 - 2
1/2 - 3
4 - 5

THAT is "top-end heavy."

My point is, how many teams are NOT "overflowing with 3-6 D-men? How many teams have an abundance of legit top-line D-men that 1 or 2 are playing on a lower pairing?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I hear you except they are not necessarily looking at it as 2 extra D but 1 extra D per side

4 guys per side 82 x 3 = 246/4 = approx 62 games per player

That’s how they are probably going to go it

Does Grzelcyk have waiver exemption?
so I guess we don't see Zboril, Lauzon or Vaakanainen this year?

I'm sorry but I really just don't get their obsession with rolling 8 D. Torey Krug broke into the NHL because the Bruins in 2013 had lots of injuries on the backend and called up kids to fill the gaps. Having 7 bonafide NHL D is one thing, but having an 8th feels like it just makes it nearly impossible for any defensive prospects to see NHL ice.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

My take

Marchand- Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Donato-Heinen - Backes

Or

DeBrusk- Krejci-Heinen

Or

DeBrusk-Krejci Heinen
Donato- open R - Backes
Bjork Cehlarik

My favorite
Marchand- Bergeron-Bjork
Donato-Heinen- Backes

Krejci and Cehlairk looked good together before Cehlarik was injured against penguins. I like Debrusk Krejci Cehlarik. No rush to make a trade but if they do they need more speed on that 2nd line. Cehlarik isn’t that.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
so I guess we don't see Zboril, Lauzon or Vaakanainen this year?

I'm sorry but I really just don't get their obsession with rolling 8 D. Torey Krug broke into the NHL because the Bruins in 2013 had lots of injuries on the backend and called up kids to fill the gaps. Having 7 bonafide NHL D is one thing, but having an 8th feels like it just makes it nearly impossible for any defensive prospects to see NHL ice.
Last 3 years the Bruins

2015-16 11 Defenseman
2016-17 12 Defenseman
2027-18 10 Defenseman

Never say never

The likelihood of all 8 D being healthy all year very slim

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'd say when that D group includes McQuaid, Miller, and Krug, then it goes from slim to pretty much none
It would be nice if we could hit the 4th with no weakness and obvious Cup favorites

The fact we don’t have a definitive third line center and it’s July is GARBAGE.....

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
They better get a good read on him as the season goes. On every other team the center makes the wingers better, but for some reason everyone *****es about his wingers holding him up. 7.25 cap number you better make everyone better. This is it for him as far as I'm concerned. If he can't up the emotion/effort/production then find a sucker who still considers him a "1A" . I'd rather go down in flames with someone else playing two C then to see the same unproductive Krejci when it counts. And I say this because I know what he's capable of, he was good vs Toronto.
The problem I see Lou is that mentality is 1-2 years too late. We were seeing this next version of Krejci a few years back and now I bet we’ve hung on too long. Who knows...maybe you’ll still find a taker but when you’re also stuck with Backes,
I think you’re over a barrel a bit and teams know it. This is also why I bet those reports of “interest in Krejci and Backes” were planted by the Bruins because if it were true there’d be no reason for both of them to still be here.

Reactions: Strafer

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The problem I see Lou is that mentality is 1-2 years too late. We were seeing this next version of Krejci a few years back and now I bet we’ve hung on too long. Who knows...maybe you’ll still find a taker but when you’re also stuck with Backes,
I think you’re over a barrel a bit and teams know it. This is also why I bet those reports of “interest in Krejci and Backes” were planted by the Bruins because if it were true there’d be no reason for both of them to still be here.
You need balance and Krejci and Backes provide it

You take this year to year and I am fine with both

They did have 112 points with these 2 in the lineup

Obviously the plan is to hit on JFK Frederic Studnicka

Krejci and Pastrnak looked in sync on WC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad