Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign F Kenny Agostino

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Griffith was also small.

True but it seems like size is less of a factor these days

Although I will say I do like agostino's size. That possible size/skill combo would be nice in the bottom 6

Would you rather have Hayes at 2.75 or whatever it was or agostino at 3.65 (that's how I look at it with Hayes and his dead weight)?

I'd probably rather have agostino. At least there is some upside there. Perhaps he will be this years marchessault if we get lucky

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I really like this signing. He has size, he can skate, he can score and he's never been given a chance.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Pretty sure he was sent to Calgary from Pittsburgh in that deal for iginla. My only knowledge of this kid is when I'd look up yales box score to see how o gara did agostino always had scored a goal

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Sounds like a win/win kind of signing to me. Either way, if he plays well, great, and if he doesnt, it's not the end of the world...

But if he's mainly being brought in to replace Hayes, isn't odd they bring in a LW rather than a RW? Or maybe they aren't convinced about Vatrano yet either?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Beleskey-Spooner-Vatrano
Agostino-Kuraly-Accairi
Nash

I've met him before. Nice kid. I thought he was a Flyers or Rags fan from what I remember but did like my Bruins hat. Maybe he remembered that and it swayed him.

Last edited:

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Appears to be some potential upside and very little risk should he in fact sign. Terrific year with the Wolves. From the Hockey Writers comments via Dater.

"According to Adrian Dater of BSNDenver and Bleacher Report, the Boston Bruins have signed free agent forward Kenny Agostino to a one-year, one-way contract worth $850,000. The 25-year-old Agostino was named the MVP of the AHL last season after leading the league in scoring with an impressive 24 goals and 83 points in 65 games with the Chicago Wolves – 15 points more than any other player, despite the fact that he missed 11 games due to NHL callups with St. Louis."

http://thehockeywriters.com/boston-bruins-sign-ahl-mvp-kenny-agostino/

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'll see your Seth Griffith and raise you Brandon Bochenski.

Nothing like Bran-Bo.

Kid was not a good skater and did one thing well, put the puck in the net. Unfortunately, someone must have told him he needed to get bigger one offseason, so he bulked up, got even slower, and that was it. He did score a ton of goals in the KHL though.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I really like this signing. He has size, he can skate, he can score and he's never been given a chance.

I know absolutely nothing about this player for the record but asking/wondering if he`s earned that chance? Simply putting pts up in the AHL doesn`t always necessarily mean he`s not been given a fair chance by the big club.

Is he or has he been a player who the NHL affiliate just feels needs to work on things more or has it been a case of, in the Hawks situation, they were just too deep and for him to have pushed his way into that lineup he needed to do something special?

Again, never seen him play, not trying to be a downer or negative about him, hard to be that when you have the reigning AHL MVP in the organization,just wondering what, if anything, has kept him from making that next step permanently? Just a case of wrong place, wrong time, or has he, when given the chance, which based on his stat sheet, he`s been given little more than a few games here and there, he has come up short in areas his NHL team wants to see him improve upon?

Either way, low risk, high reward signing so definitely won`t/can`t criticize DS for that

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I know absolutely nothing about this player for the record but asking/wondering if he`s earned that chance? Simply putting pts up in the AHL doesn`t always necessarily mean he`s not been given a fair chance by the big club.

Is he or has he been a player who the NHL affiliate just feels needs to work on things more or has it been a case of, in the Hawks situation, they were just too deep and for him to have pushed his way into that lineup he needed to do something special?

Again, never seen him play, not trying to be a downer or negative about him, hard to be that when you have the reigning AHL MVP in the organization,just wondering what, if anything, has kept him from making that next step permanently? Just a case of wrong place, wrong time, or has he, when given the chance, which based on his stat sheet, he`s been given little more than a few games here and there, he has come up short in areas his NHL team wants to see him improve upon?

Either way, low risk, high reward signing so definitely won`t/can`t criticize DS for that

He's been a pro for three seasons. Two really good years in the AHL. A couple of cups of coffee in the NHL, 17g 2-3-5. This is definitely is last shot to earn a regular job, but why not roll the dice? They have seen loads of him watching Ogara play. Kid is a leader that I know, albeit not at this level yet.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He's been a pro for three seasons. Two really good years in the AHL. A couple of cups of coffee in the NHL, 17g 2-3-5. This is definitely is last shot to earn a regular job, but why not roll the dice? They have seen loads of him watching Ogara play. Kid is a leader that I know, albeit not at this level yet.

Agreed, I hope I didn`t come off as being disappointed or negative about the signing because I`m not, was more curious about why he hadn`t been given that full time shot yet? Was/Is it simply a case of being with the Hawks and them being fairly deep, or the Blues, did he just not play the way they wanted/needed etc...

either way, low risk signing

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Agreed, I hope I didn`t come off as being disappointed or negative about the signing because I`m not, was more curious about why he hadn`t been given that full time shot yet? Was/Is it simply a case of being with the Hawks and them being fairly deep, or the Blues, did he just not play the way they wanted/needed etc...

either way, low risk signing

You didn't sound disappointed at all and I agree with everything you said. Not really sure why he hasn't earned/deserved more of a shot

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Love this. Haven't seen much of him play but based on his stats he is a potential high reward, low risk signing. Plus you can never have too much speed on the team.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I talked to a couple of hockey people in Chicago this morning and Kenny was frustrated in the Blues organization and his people think Boston is good fit for him to be in the NHL.

The Blues do not have a primary AHL team this season as Chicago is now primarily a Vegas team. The Blues want to put an AHL team in Kansas City but nothing is signed yet as KC remains an option for the Coyotes.

He impressed enough people in the AHL to win the MVP so there is no downside for the Bruins at all. This is like buying a $10 scratch ticket and you might get a big payoff.

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/5-things-to-know-about-the-blues-ahl-arrangement/c-289473052

http://theahl.com/wolves-agostino-voted-ahl-mvp

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that forward Kenny Agostino of the Chicago Wolves has been voted the winner of the Les Cunningham Award as the AHL’s most valuable player for the 2016-17 season.

The award is voted on by coaches, players and members of the media in each of the league’s 30 cities.

In his third professional season, Agostino is running away with the AHL scoring title and has set career bests with 24 goals, 59 assists, 83 points and a plus-22 rating in 65 games for Chicago. He has had 22 multiple-point games – highlighted by a four-goal, five-point performance at Iowa on Dec. 31 – and he racked up 22 points during an 11-game scoring streak from Dec. 18 to Jan. 8. Agostino, the CCM/AHL Player of the Month for December, enters the final weekend of the regular season with 16 more points than any other skater in the AHL – a margin that would be the largest atop the league’s scoring leaderboard since 2008. Named a First Team AHL All-Star last week, Agostino also appeared in his first career AHL All-Star Classic in January.

The 24-year-old native of Morristown, N.J., has been his team’s leading scorer in each of his three AHL seasons, totaling 62 goals and 121 assists for 183 points in 197 career games with Chicago, the Stockton Heat and the Adirondack Flames. Originally selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Agostino joined the Calgary Flames following his senior season at Yale University, where he won a national championship in 2013, and signed as a free agent with St. Louis on July 2, 2016. Agostino has five points in 17 career NHL games, including one goal and two assist in seven games with the Blues this season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=75015

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/kenny-agostino

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I talked to a couple of hockey people in Chicago this morning and Kenny was frustrated in the Blues organization and his people think Boston is good fit for him to be in the NHL.

The Blues do not have a primary AHL team this season as Chicago is now primarily a Vegas team. The Blues want to put an AHL team in Kansas City but nothing is signed yet as KC remains an option for the Coyotes.

He impressed enough people in the AHL to win the MVP so there is no downside for the Bruins at all. This is like buying a $10 scratch ticket and you might get a big payoff.

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/5-things-to-know-about-the-blues-ahl-arrangement/c-289473052

Thanks for the info Fenway, it felt odd that a player with the talent this one appears to have hasn`t/wasn`t given a ton of looks. Who knows how he`ll be in Boston, now, I`m off to buy a scratch ticket which is odd seeing as I never buy them:laugh:

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I don't see any downside to this potential signing.
I hope the B's give him a legit shot.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
He played 4 years years at Yale and was on the 2013 team that won the national championship. There is no downside to this

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Caveat, Fenway:

Kansas City is not an option for any professional hockey franchise, nor is it a certainty that the Blues are even remotely interested in owning/operating a franchise: yes, the deal about Vegas is accurate, but even now, Independence, where the Blues had their entry-level affiliate, has swapped over to Calgary/Stockton affiliation:

the prevailing rumbling is Colorado ends up promoting its entry-level affiliate and St. Louis slots in to where the Avalanche are aligned at the AHL Level. ie San Antonio...

the Blues, you recall, ended up by default, aligning with the Worcester AHL franchise, that they ended up selling to Vancouver, when the Canucks deal in Chicago expired, much as the deal that exists between the Blues, Vegas, and Chicago and how that transpired....

there is also no inclination whatsoever that Kansas City is an option for Arizona, that sentiment is much more aligned with Seattle/Portland, or somewhere in the PAC NW....

IN TRUTH, we're not even sure what the succession plan in Chicago is if Levin jumps to a potential Seattle franchise in some capacity (which is all conjecture/speculation)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad