Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Daniel Vladar

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
the ECHL is a good spot for goalies - with the depth around the league, there's a fair amount of quality tenders who end up there at one point. let him start there, bump him up here and there if he's earning the promotion.

after seeing mcintyire this year, i don't think he's even close to NHL ready. he's got a pretty good development track ahead of him. subban to me was probably ready for backup duty in the NHL before the throat injury. if he has a good summer and strong camp, no reason he can't win that job.

ECHL isn't a bad place for a G to develop. You're going to see some quality & crafty veteran forwards, you're going to get hung out to dry more than a few times by young developing defensemen, forcing you to be on your toes. It may be a slightly better place for a goaltender to develop because the defense isn't as tight as it is in the AHL ... where GAAs often drop. A lot of NHL goaltenders have developed in the ECHL.

Long-term, the plan (I think) was to use Subban as the backup, McIntyre start in the AHL & Vladar or a cheap pickup as the Providence backup (but if he's in the ECHL, he starts more games). In the South Division, the travel from Atlanta isn't terrible - Greenville & Columbia SC; Norfolk, VA; Orlando. I don't think he can go back to the USHL since he has signed a North American pro contract. Different rules there than in Canadian Major Junior.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I tried to find the USHL eligibility rules but had no luck (or patience...).

Do you have something?

I worked in several capacities (mostly as an off-ice official) for a USHL team for 10 years, and it's a bit difficult to find. Players who have played *some* pro games in Europe (Daniil Tarasov, who recently played for the Sharks and is now in the KHL, and obviously Vladar) have been allowed to play in the USHL, but I've never seen a player sign a NA pro contract and go back to the USHL.

The ECHL would likely be a bit better to start the pro development path. Young ECHL prospects tell me the biggest adjustment & what they learn most has nothing to do with what's on the ice, but learning to be a pro off the ice. The game's a bit more structured than the college/junior game, which might be better to begin a goalie's learning curve.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I'd very much prefer to have him play the majority of games in the ECHL then slowly make his way into the AHL then the NHL.

There is absolutely no rush with him, but he needs to be playing.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Dom said something about the KHL being a possibility, I'll get the tweet up in a bit if nobody else embeds it

Last edited:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Curious... if one of McIntyre or Subban is not moved; both will have 2 or more years of pro experience AFTER this upcoming season. Expansion is rumored to be... the end of next? Vlader would only have 1 if it happened at the end of the 2016-17 season.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I worked in several capacities (mostly as an off-ice official) for a USHL team for 10 years, and it's a bit difficult to find. Players who have played *some* pro games in Europe (Daniil Tarasov, who recently played for the Sharks and is now in the KHL, and obviously Vladar) have been allowed to play in the USHL, but I've never seen a player sign a NA pro contract and go back to the USHL.

The ECHL would likely be a bit better to start the pro development path. Young ECHL prospects tell me the biggest adjustment & what they learn most has nothing to do with what's on the ice, but learning to be a pro off the ice. The game's a bit more structured than the college/junior game, which might be better to begin a goalie's learning curve.

Thanks.

If he's not eligible for the USHL, would he be payed his AHL salary even if he ends up in the ECHL?

If not, he probably would ask the Bruins to find him a place in Europe.

PS: Just found out that the ECHL has a weekly Salary Cap which averages $630/week, and a rookie (less than 25 pro games) can't earn more than $530/week.

Last edited:

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
I really, really, REALLY hope one of these goalies is lights out next year so Tuukka can at least feel a little bit of pressure.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really want to see Jeremy smith get a legitimate shot as the backup next year. His providence numbers over the past couple of years have been stellar, better than any other goalie in our system. I think he could be a late bloomer type that has a nice future in the nhl.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks.

If he's not eligible for the USHL, would he be payed his AHL salary even if he ends up in the ECHL?

If not, he probably would ask the Bruins to find him a place in Europe.

PS: Just found out that the ECHL has a weekly Salary Cap which averages $630/week, and a rookie (less than 25 pro games) can't earn more than $530/week.

If I read the PHPA contracts right, ECHL players on AHL/NHL contracts are paid their AHL salaries (and count $525 against the ECHL's weekly salary cap, which I believe is paid by the ECHL team to the AHL team).

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Im not overly concerned where he plays next year. Maybe a slim shot as Prov. backup.

Next year is HUGE for Subban and McIntyre. They need to compete and hopefully one win Rasks backup position. The Bs need to know what they got by next July.

Thats when Rasks NMC goes to limited NTC.

Wally, if they are fairly close in ability, do you think the better of the two would be
kept at Prov to get the playing time and experience ? Wouldn't that be more beneficial to
development than playing 15 games and sitting on the pine for the rest.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Can't he go back to his USHL team? I would think unless they want him in a different development system, he would stay there.

from Fluto:

"Vladar could play in the AHL in 2015-16 depending on how he performs during training camp. Vladar also could play major junior in the CHL. The Bruins do not intend to place Vladar in the ECHL. He is ineligible to play college hockey. He cannot return to the USHL."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...el-contract/H4s9ZTjBJ7QVSfURJqGV0J/story.html

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wally, if they are fairly close in ability, do you think the better of the two would be
kept at Prov to get the playing time and experience ? Wouldn't that be more beneficial to
development than playing 15 games and sitting on the pine for the rest.

I believe the player would be better served being with the big club.

First because I think it would be more like 20 games or so.
Next because of the need to prove against the big time talent of the NHL. Can he handle it. You never know how you can swim until you venture into the deep end.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
from Fluto:

"Vladar could play in the AHL in 2015-16 depending on how he performs during training camp. Vladar also could play major junior in the CHL. The Bruins do not intend to place Vladar in the ECHL. He is ineligible to play college hockey. He cannot return to the USHL."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...el-contract/H4s9ZTjBJ7QVSfURJqGV0J/story.html

I have confirmed it with the CHL and even sent them a link to the article.

I big emphatic "no he can not".

He could get drafted in the CHL import draft having lived in North America for a year prior to the draft, but one of his parents would have had to be living with him. It's the only loophole unless another has been found that hasn't been exposed.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I really, really, REALLY hope one of these goalies is lights out next year so Tuukka can at least feel a little bit of pressure.

Never had any issues with internal competition and some of that would serve Tuukka well, wonder if he had a bonafide back up who is viewed as a 1b would have pushed him to play v Sens:popcorn:

A touch of sarcasm there but not really, there are times where I`m grateful this team has Tuukka, then there`s other times where I`ve asked myself the question if I were the GM of a Cup contending team but my one weakness were in net, which NHL goalie would I be in pursuit of landing and I`m not 100% convinced he`s on my list as a top contender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->