Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Daniel Vladar

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm clearly missing something here. We signed him straight out of the USHL so he's ineligible for the NCAA and since he's an import he's barred from playing Major Junior. So where exactly is he going to develop? Loan him back to HC Kldano in Czech Rep?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'm clearly missing something here. We signed him straight out of the USHL so he's ineligible for the NCAA and since he's an import he's barred from playing Major Junior. So where exactly is he going to develop? Loan him back to HC Kldano in Czech Rep?

USHL is a great league, he can spend another year there at least before Providence.

The Jersey Number

number nerd
Jul 15, 2010
Halifax
Drafted out of Europe, so despite only being 19 when the regular season begins, he'll still be eligible to play in the AHL/ECHL. He'll get to develop playing against men all the while this contract year will slide. So it's like getting an extra year of development for free.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
USHL is a great league, he can spend another year there at least before Providence.

Not saying it isn't a great league, but by signing I believe it makes him ineligible to play in it. ECHL/AHL seems the most likely, but can't see him getting any AHL time with the 3 goalies we currently have in Providence unless one of them becomes Tuukka's back-up next season and another gets hurt.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Not saying it isn't a great league, but by signing I believe it makes him ineligible to play in it. ECHL/AHL seems the most likely, but can't see him getting any AHL time with the 3 goalies we currently have in Providence unless one of them becomes Tuukka's back-up next season and another gets hurt.

I'm curious about this as well. Goalies take at least 5 years post-draft to develop. They need to find a place to send him for 3 years.

I'm not sure hanging around a bunch of guys 3+ years older than him in the ECHL and riding the bus is the best place for him either.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country

Jeremy Smith is UFA.

Fact he spent most of season on loan to different NHL org when everyone was healthy says all you need to know about his future in BOS.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm curious about this as well. Goalies take at least 5 years post-draft to develop. They need to find a place to send him for 3 years.

I'm not sure hanging around a bunch of guys 3+ years older than him in the ECHL and riding the bus is the best place for him either.

I'm not so much concerned about the age difference, but the later of riding the bus all season. I'd much rather see him loaned back to his Czech pro club where he'd get more practice time with far less travel. Do that for next season and then bring him to Providence for the 17-18 season.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Im not overly concerned where he plays next year. Maybe a slim shot as Prov. backup.

Next year is HUGE for Subban and McIntyre. They need to compete and hopefully one win Rasks backup position. The Bs need to know what they got by next July.

Thats when Rasks NMC goes to limited NTC.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Im not overly concerned where he plays next year. Maybe a slim shot as Prov. backup.

Nexst year is HUGE for Subban and McIntyre. They need to compete and hopefully one win Rasks backup position. The Bs need to know what they got by next July.

Thats when Rasks NMC goes to limited NTC.

Subban is not waiver exempt next year so the obvious plan is to move him for an experienced back up if he can't win the job and obviously Vlader and McIntyre are the PBruins pair, Smith is a UFA and not in their plans.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Apparently he was ineligible for the NCAA because he played 8 pro games in the Czech league: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/draft-prospect-goalie-daniel-vladar-is-coming-to-america/

Vladar would still like to improve on his rebound control and puckhandling and he’ll get plenty of opportunity to do that in Chicago. Though many USHLers go on to play college hockey – including Europeans – Vladar is ineligible for the NCAA, thanks to those eight games of pro he played.

But he would be able to play in the AHL or ECHL in 2016-17, should the NHL team that drafts him prefer to see what he can do against men over here.

Vladar's situation looks to have been known before last year's Draft, so him signing wasn't the biggest surprise.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

USHL is a Junior league.

Unless its eligibility rules are quite different than the ones of the Canadian Junior leagues, signing a pro contract would not mean that he would be ineligible.

NCAA is out though.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=880435&navid=DL|BOS|home

Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, April 26, that the team has signed goaltender Daniel Vladar of the Chicago Steel (United States Hockey League) to a three-year entry-level contract, beginning with the 2016-17 season.

Vladar finished the 2015-16 season with a 12-12-4 record, a 2.31 GAA (fifth in the USHL), a .920 save % (fifth in the USHL) and three shutouts in 30 games played with the Chicago Steel. Vladar was awarded CCM/USHL Goaltender of the Week honors on two occasions during the 2015-16 season, on November 28, 2015 and March 12, 2016.

The 6'6'' 185-pound goaltender previously played for HC Klando (Czech U20) prior to being selected by the Chicago Steel in the USHL Phase II Draft in the first round, seventh overall. With HC Klando, he played 29 games with a 2.78 GAA and a .926 SV%. He represented the Czech Republic at the most recent 2016 World Junior Championship in Helsinki.

The Prague, Czech Republic native was originally selected by the Bruins in the third round (75th overall) of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
the ECHL is a good spot for goalies - with the depth around the league, there's a fair amount of quality tenders who end up there at one point. let him start there, bump him up here and there if he's earning the promotion.

after seeing mcintyire this year, i don't think he's even close to NHL ready. he's got a pretty good development track ahead of him. subban to me was probably ready for backup duty in the NHL before the throat injury. if he has a good summer and strong camp, no reason he can't win that job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->