Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign D Urho Vaakanainen to a 3-Year ELC

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
You'd think between Zboril/Lauzon/Urho at least ONE of them will be traded sooner rather than later. Hopefully one of them in a package for an upgrade on D.

I like the signing, but its getting a bit crowded in the AHL!

Reactions: Strafer

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
That's great news.

Sorry for my ignorance, but does this mean he's definitely coming to atleast the AHL next season?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
You'd think between Zboril/Lauzon/Urho at least ONE of them will be traded sooner rather than later. Hopefully one of them in a package for an upgrade on D.

I like the signing, but its getting a bit crowded in the AHL!

not really any rush to make a deal with those guys. all 3 of them can play in providence this season without issue.
you have sherman and clifton under contract. figure another right-shot guy will be in the mix, probably dr cross as well.

look forward to seeing UV in action. expect he will stand out big time at development camp, but
that's just the first in a lengthy process.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
With Urho Vaakanainen on the way, Bruins have options on defense - The Boston Globe

Although pleased with the composition of his defensive corps, Bruins general manager Don Sweeney reiterated this week that Urho Vaakanainen, the team’s top pick in last year’s draft, will play in North America this year and vie for a varsity roster spot come September’s training camp.

Vaakanainen, 19, the seventh defenseman selected in the 2017 draft, signed a three-year entry-level contract Wednesday with an annual cap hit of $925,000, plus bonuses.

Selected No. 18 overall by the Bruins last June, Vaakanainen played the full 2017-18 season in Finland’s top pro league. He will be joined in training camp this year by at least two other top defensive prospects, Jakub Zboril (Round 1 in 2015) and Jeremy Lauzon (Round 2 in 2015).

“I think our group is fine,” said Sweeney. “But I am not going to stop. If there’s a trade to be made to improve the group, then we have to make it.”

Reactions: TD Charlie

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If Zboril and Vaak impress in camp, it's going to make things rather interesting on the pro roster. Most likely, both will get prime ice time in Providence. but I do hope that Zboril makes the team out of camp.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If Zboril and Vaak impress in camp, it's going to make things rather interesting on the pro roster. Most likely, both will get prime ice time in Providence. but I do hope that Zboril makes the team out of camp.

I would love to see Zboril play well enough to force the teams hand in having to play him, but it will definitely be interesting to see who he gets minutes over, especially if no moves are made.

Bruins are in a great/interesting spot with Vaak, zboril and lauzon all expected to be making the big club within the next two years or so.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Happy for Vaak - welcome aboard! It never hurts to have an abundance of promising young defensemen.

Haven’t seen him myself so unable to contribute beyond stating the obvious that Sweeney and Co. are happy to have him on-board.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
Great news nice to see all the prospects at the back end. It fun to finally see this after a few years of trouble there. But I might see how DS might have to move someone hopefully he hit on any trade

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The “trade to improve the group” talk reads pretty odd for Sweeney. Almost feels like he knows he’s likely to move a certain player and he’s prepping the masses for the transition. Either that or he’s desperate to drive interest in a dman or two, for whatever reason he might have.

But no matter what, the message is not typical of Sweeney.

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad