Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Chris Wagner

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I don’t understand how people are remotely excited about this signing. Wagner is absolute trash and we just gave a guy who will be a 4th liner 1.25 million a year over two years. Big hitter but really not much else to his game at all. Could have easily had a replacement in our system for cheaper than this guy.

This is a bad signing. I feel like everyone excited about this guy actually hasn’t seen him play.

Really hope he proves me wrong but there are for sure cheaper alternatives within the system the bruins could have gone to.
Good news! ...you're already wrong, and he doesn't have to prove anything to you.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I don’t understand how people are remotely excited about this signing. Wagner is absolute trash and we just gave a guy who will be a 4th liner 1.25 million a year over two years. Big hitter but really not much else to his game at all. Could have easily had a replacement in our system for cheaper than this guy.

This is a bad signing. I feel like everyone excited about this guy actually hasn’t seen him play.

Really hope he proves me wrong but there are for sure cheaper alternatives within the system the bruins could have gone to.

Who?

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
Fx78rS0.gif

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Seems a little expensive but not a cap killer even if he ends up regressing. Last year is his only year breaking 10 points

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Well talk about someone who is almost the e act opposite as a player. Fitzy is probably a bit more skilled, but has no edge and will never have a physical component to his game

Where is it written that a fourth line must be composed of low-skilled (or unskilled) physical grinders? I think that it's an advantage to have players on the fourth line who can skate and put the puck in the net. In fact, I think that is where the Bruins and the NHL are heading.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Where is it written that a fourth line must be composed of low-skilled (or unskilled) physical grinders? I think that it's an advantage to have players on the fourth line who can skate and put the puck in the net. In fact, I think that is where the Bruins and the NHL are heading.

I didn't say it was. it was the Bruins who just signed a physical grinder to play the 4th line. So they seem to value that type of player.

I just pointed out that Fitzy is basically the opposite of that type

That said I like the signing

Last edited:
Reactions: Neely2005

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well lookie here

The player I specifically identified last month

Not exactly me identifying Mitch Moreland 2 years ago as a sleeper bargain but it’s one of those pieces a very good GM or excellent poster sees

This is the guy they should have given up the 3rd for instead of Rinaldo- would have easily passed the 80/20 acceptance ratio and the name would not have led to doors locked at night and children kept inside

Reactions: sarge88

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Tom Wilson should have shown everyone that you DO in fact need at least ONE of these kinds of guys on your roster...it's never a hindrance.

What IS a hindrance, or rather a concern, is that now there are three guys on the fourth line who have trouble breaking 10 points in a season. But hey, one step at a time. Maybe they'll surprise us this season

Reactions: FanSince72

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
wrong islander UFA to sign :sarcasm:

i love brother wags. wheels, feisty, decent skills too. was hoping they plucked him off waivers from the ducks.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014

What are you crying about?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Depth guy that likes to hit, has speed and is not afraid to fight, count me happy

going simply by this package as it`s really my only viewings of him, it appears like he`s the kind of player Neely was speaking about, a guy who can skate and be physical. Be nice if he could chip in 15-20pts on the 4th too

Reactions: FanSince72

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Honestly, as long as expectations are set for this guy being a bigger, nastier Acciari, I think it's a decent signing. He's not Belesky, getting overpaid to be a 35-40 point guy at least....

Honestly, I give less a shit about assists. If he can bag ten or so goals this season, i'd be good with that. I feel like assists often pad a guy's stats. That's obviously not the case for really skilled playmakers, but in cases of guys like Riley Nash, I look more towards his fifteen goals than I do his assist totals, if that makes sense.

Considering neither Kuraly or Acciari had ten goals last year, I hope they find their finish this year. Outside of that though, if this fourth line with Wagner just regularly plays excellent hockey on the penalty kill, roughs up the opposition on the forecheck along the boards, I'd be good with that.

Cheap-ish signing, guys! Aren't we all glad this means Backes WON'T be our fourth line RW at least?

Reactions: Thrive

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
seem to recall more than a few posters here pushing this name out front for a guy they`d like to have on the 4th line. Full transparency, honestly can`t say I`ve ever seen him play

I pushed for him, so I like the signing. On Wagner, he played for two teams last year that were some of the worst possession teams in the league. He also played for the Islanders, who were the worst in the league for GAA and shot differential. When you look at his numbers, compare him to his peers. Mostly the ones in ANA. He did only play 15 games for the Islanders.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Considering neither Kuraly or Acciari had ten goals last year, I hope they find their finish this year. Outside of that though, if this fourth line with Wagner just regularly plays excellent hockey on the penalty kill, roughs up the opposition on the forecheck along the boards, I'd be good with that.

Acciari had exactly 10 goals in 60 games last year

Reactions: Krupp

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

and is perfectly suited for a 4th line role. I think his biggest battle will continue to be staying healthy. He just plays so physical and while he`s clearly built like a truck, he`s still a bit small for a guy who loves to play that style. I dunno, I loved the 4th line this past year, sure once they hit the semi finals, seemed a bit overwhelmed and certainly outplayed by a much more veteran 4th line for the Bolts but I really liked what they brought this past year

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012

For some reason I kept thinking he only had nine. Shows what I know.

Granted, one goal less isn't exactly the biggest deal in the world either.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

I'm sure you're tuning into tons of Islanders/Ducks games? I'll take a wild guess with what you did....Ran to Hockey-Reference and looked at his advanced stats and don't find them impressive.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm sure you're tuning into tons of Islanders/Ducks games? I'll take a wild guess with what you did....Ran to Hockey-Reference and looked at his advanced stats and don't find them impressive.

I caught him a few times last seasons watching late west coast games, and he's good 4th line player. It's clear Schaller isn't coming back, and Wagner is a great replacement with more jam than Schalls. Kuraly, Acciari, Wagner is a great energy line.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I think we’ve gotta wait and see what Schaller gets before we assess this deal. People loved the 4th line last year and for good reason.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Seems like a downgrade to Schaller in everything but money, but at least he shouldn't hurt the team too bad from the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad