Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Cameron Hughes To Entry-Level Contract

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins Sign Cameron Hughes To Entry-Level Contract

Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, March 10, that the team has signed University of Wisconsin forward Cameron Hughes to a three-year entry-level contract, beginning the with 2018-19 season. Hughes will join the Providence Bruins on an Amateur Tryout Agreement (ATO) for the remainder of the 2017-18 season.

Hughes served as captain for the Wisconsin Badgers in 2017-18, appearing in 37 games and recording eight goals and 14 assists for 22 points. The 21-year-old center served as alternate captain for Wisconsin as a junior in 2016-17, establishing a career high in points (32) with seven goals and a team-high 25 assists. Hughes notched five goals and 20 assists for 25 points in 32 games as a sophomore in 2015-16. The 6-foot, 175-pound forward appeared in 34 games in 2014-15, finishing eighth among Big Ten freshmen in scoring with three goals and 10 assists for 13 points.

Prior to attending Wisconsin, Hughes played two seasons (2012-14) with the Spruce Grove Saints of the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL), compiling 32 goals and 56 assists for 88 points in 112 games.

Cameron Hughes

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
The drop in production from him and Frederic (less so Frederic, who had a hot run to end the season)has a lot to do with the fact Wisconsin was not very good this year.

Glad to have him on board.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The drop in production from him and Frederic (less so Frederic, who had a hot run to end the season)has a lot to do with the fact Wisconsin was not very good this year.

Decent player. Good kid who works hard, but limited tools. I'd be shocked if he progresses beyond career AHL'er.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Decent player. Good kid who works hard, but limited tools. I'd be shocked if he progresses beyond career AHL'er.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

I agree, very unlikely he makes much of an impact but it's always good to root for a nice underdog story.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he could have just waited till the summer and become a UFA if he wanted to go to somewhere with more opportunity.

The fact he's only 21 after playing 4 years at college is interesting.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

One would have thought that the reason Wisconsin had a rougher go of it this year was more because they lost Kunin and Besse from their Top 5 scorers and the goaltending wasn’t nearly as good??

Hughes seems to be to be more of a complimentary player and losing those two put more of an onus on him.

I’m interested to see how he looks as a Pro. He’s a very good skater, plays in all three zones and was the Captain. Those seem to be three of the primary traits the B’s look for these days.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
One would have thought that the reason Wisconsin had a rougher go of it this year was more because they lost Kunin and Besse from their Top 5 scorers and the goaltending wasn’t nearly as good??

Hughes seems to be to be more of a complimentary player and losing those two put more of an onus on him.

I’m interested to see how he looks as a Pro. He’s a very good skater, plays in all three zones and was the Captain. Those seem to be three of the primary traits the B’s look for these days.

Oh I wasn't trying to say that those two were the cause of Wisconsin's bad year.

I just meant that as a team they were worse and that might been part of the reason for a drop in their individual statistics.

As a complimentary player, it will be interesting to see how he plays with better players around him.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

A few posters here don't believe he will go beyond the AHL. But, as you note, the qualities he appears to possess fit the B's criteria. I especially like that they look for captains, which speaks directly to maturity and leadership.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
A few posters here don't believe he will go beyond the AHL. But, as you note, the qualities he appears to possess fit the B's criteria. I especially like that they look for captains, which speaks directly to maturity and leadership.

I have seen a fair amount of Hughes since Frederic has been there and he’s a well-rounded player. I won’t pretend to be able to predict how is game translates as a pro. I saw a fair amount of Conor Sheary at UMass and never would have predicted the kind of AHL and NHL success he has had.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Wisconsin took a drop off this year, primarily because they struggled on the blue line and their goaltending was atrocious. Losing their head coach to the Olympics down the stretch didn't help either.

Goalscoring wasn't the problem this year. Everything else was.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Wonder if this signing influences Frederic to come out early.

Looking forward to seeing him in Providence.

Selfishly, I was hoping to get one more Dev Camp look at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00