Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Camara

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Who knows what this season will bring but I'm pumped about the B's future.

ya know.....

i've been hearing this for awhile now.

how 'stocked' providence is.

how much better the drafting has been since Chia got here

etc etc etc.

and with one forwards down... are call up is..... Jay Pandolfo??????

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
ya know.....

etc etc etc.

Ain't that the truth.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
ya know.....

etc etc etc.

This.

Would be nice if Chia could at last draft one player that could of played in the bottom six by now.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
This.

Would be nice if Chia could at last draft one player that could of played in the bottom six by now.

Yep. I think PC is a very good gm but he needs to improve in the drafting department. That's the one area where he has been weak

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I would say that's about right. Providence getting infused with some OHL talent next year; Camara, Khokhlachev, Griffith and Subban.

Is Subban eligible for the AHL next year? He doesn't turn 20 until December. Does he qualify another way?

Camara and Khokhlachev both turn 20 in early September.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
ya know.....

etc etc etc.

Pandolfo has been with Boston since the start of the season. He's not a call up.

Coach Julien no doubt trusts his experience to hold the fort while they maneuver for the trade deadline.

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
Definitely sounds like a kid born to be a Bruin. Can't wait to see what he can do when he eventually gets to Boston/Providence

sjaustin77

Oct 28, 2007
There are a number of posts above that I could respond to on drafting but I'll just make a general one instead. I don't know how well Boston has drafted since Chia has been here, and I don't think any of you do either. What you need to do is compare his number of picks and drafting spots and results to other teams to see whether he is good or bad. My guess is the B's are above average since Chia was hired. He has definitely used the draft very well though. It isn't all just about drafting.

It is also about using picks and prospects to acquire other talent. Providence is winning this year and they have promising prospects left in the system that will join in the next couple years. The Bruins have also won a Cup largely because of the trades Chia has made using picks and other previously drafted talent. Most of the current team are previous draft picks, picks from Chia, or players acquired through some use of prospects & picks. Chia has also mostly correctly identified what previously drafted talent to hang on to. So lets take a look at some of what he has done.

Previous draft picks still with the team - Bergeron & Krejci. Pretty smart to hang on to these 2.
Draft picks on team since Chia - Lucic, Marchand, Seguin & Hamilton (from draft pick Kessel). Also Caron & MacDermid.

Other moves related to previous picks or future draft picks:

No longer here but huge in winning the cup - Got Recchi (+ a 2nd) & Kaberle for Lashoff, Karsums, Colborne & 2 picks
Got Rask for Raycroft.
Paille for a 3rd and conditional 4th
Kelly for a 2nd
McQuaid for a 5th
Horton & Campbell for 2 picks & Wideman
Seidenberg & Bartkowski for Bitz, 2nd & Weller
Khudobin for Penner & Lehtonen

Players identified before doing anything in the NHL (basically free draft picks):

Got Wheeler without having to pick him - later traded with previous pick Stuart for Peverley
Got Svedberg without having to pick him. Huge for Providence this year.
Also traded for another teams pick - Boychuk before he did anything in the NHL

Other promising picks or players acquired from previous picks
Soderberg for Toivonen
Spooner
Koko
Knight
Subban
Camara
etc.

Almost the whole team is from B's picks or derived from them since Chia has been here. Even Ference is a derivative of the Thornton trade.
Only current free agent signings are - Chara, Thornton, Pandolfo, Johnson. Ryder was too.

So even if he hasn't drafted well, which I don't think is true; he has used it to build one of the best teams in the league the last 4+ years with some good young talent left in the system. Keep that in mind when evaluating his drafting and don't forget to actually evaluate it instead of focusing on the missed picks. Most draft picks especially after mid 1st round don't have a significant NHL career.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
[/B]

Pandolfo has been with Boston since the start of the season. He's not a call up.

Coach Julien no doubt trusts his experience to hold the fort while they maneuver for the trade deadline.

Agreed, one thing with Pandalfo which I can`t say about a few other B`s who`s focus and effort have lacked is he hasn`t cost the Bruins games.

Against the Pens alone, Krejci on the 2nd goal mishandled a routine chance at puck possession in the neutral zone, led to a goal, then Seids had a brain cramp. Pandalfo is cooked for the most part yet....he hasn`t/doesn`t make the mistakes we`ve seen from players making far more than $650,000

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
So how did the Bruins know that Camara was going to turn into a beast?

I mean here are his numbers previously:

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476405

Over a stretch of 4 years, Camara never scored more than 20 pts a season. And suddenly he explodes with a 36 goal 24 assist season in just 48 games? I mean whoa that's 1.25 ppg!

We've got some pretty good scouts...

PS I just saw Camara's hit on Luza. That was nasty! But it looked like a clean hit to me.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So how did the Bruins know that Camara was going to turn into a beast?

I mean here are his numbers previously:

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476405

Over a stretch of 4 years, Camara never scored more than 20 pts a season. And suddenly he explodes with a 36 goal 24 assist season in just 48 games? I mean whoa that's 1.25 ppg!

We've got some pretty good scouts...

PS I just saw Camara's hit on Luza. That was nasty! But it looked like a clean hit to me.

In 2011-2012 he split the season between Saginaw and Barrie- ended up with 30+ pts total on the year. But, no question, he's broken out this year and proven whatever it was they saw in him when they called his name/.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
I seem to recall, a hockey commentator, saying he could a TJ Oshie type of player...I am sorry, can't recall who or where I saw it.....but a nice wish all the same...:)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I seem to recall, a hockey commentator, saying he could a TJ Oshie type of player...I am sorry, can't recall who or where I saw it.....but a nice wish all the same...:)

TJ Oshie has very good skill. Camara has ok skill. I would say he will be closer to a Cal Clutterbuck/Chris Neil player in the nhl.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
But can he fight Matt Kassian, John Scott and Frazer McLaren? :sarcasm:

Yes. He will likely lose, but will pound them at least with one or two bombs before going down.

He took on Zack Kassian last year or two years ago?? Overall lost, but probably hit him the hardest with two or three bombs. He gave up like 3 inches in height and 20-25 pounds in weight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad