GDT: Bruins @ Sens | 7:30 Fri Nov 15th |SNET-E TVA | I Guess Ill Make It Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Random thought and feel free to criticise harshly, but I've been hearing the new style around the league is to look at "combos" rather than lines, would this be a good idea? Pair what you think the best players who work as a duo together? A random example of Turris-Ryan, Spezza-MacArthur, Smith-Michalek, and Grant-Greening, and try to fill in the rest from there? Just decided to throw it out there, the combo's aren't as important as the theory, sort-to-speak.

WhiteLight*

Please explain the difference between last year and this year in both systems.

1-Far riskier play and more odd-man rushes against. Last year, the team gave gave almost no odd man rushes, it was absolutely amazing
a) Defensemen pinch a lot more this year (way too much)
b) Forwards seem to have more leeway. Last year there was always high man, but this year they get caught deep, or maybe it's just when Spezza is on.

2-Puck support, especially in the defensive zone/on the breakout. Simple breakouts. Everyone's blowing the zone early this year. Maybe it's not part of the system and it's just players being stupid. Or maybe it's because they expect Karlsson to skate it out. Well Karlsson isn't on the ice all the time.

3-Everything was kept to the outside. The other teams got lots of shots but few quality chances. Players never gave to the inside, they didn't get beat.

Just a general tendency to think offense first, complete opposite of last year.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Random thought and feel free to criticise harshly, but I've been hearing the new style around the league is to look at "combos" rather than lines, would this be a good idea? Pair what you think the best players who work as a duo together? A random example of Turris-Ryan, Spezza-MacArthur, Smith-Michalek, and Grant-Greening, and try to fill in the rest from there? Just decided to throw it out there, the combo's aren't as important as the theory, sort-to-speak.

I feel like that may have been the way Mac started making his lines, going back to camp.

I do agree, though. I've always preferred the combo approach rather than working in trios.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

I think it's a valid theory. I know when I'm playing, there's one specific guy who I play very well with. It doesn't matter much who the third guy is.

Iconoclast

Lifestyle on camera
May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared as hell. The Bruins are still the Bruins, and we haven't exactly been successful against them.

Let's just not be embarrassed like on tuesday.

Xbox_Consle_Sensr_controllr_F_TransBG_RGB_2013.png

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared as hell. The Bruins are still the Bruins, and we haven't exactly been successful against them.

Let's just not be embarrassed like on tuesday.

Xbox_Consle_Sensr_controllr_F_TransBG_RGB_2013.png

What the heck does an xbox one have to do with the sens?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
1-Far riskier play and more odd-man rushes against. Last year, the team gave gave almost no odd man rushes, it was absolutely amazing
a) Defensemen pinch a lot more this year (way too much)
b) Forwards seem to have more leeway. Last year there was always high man, but this year they get caught deep, or maybe it's just when Spezza is on.

2-Puck support, especially in the defensive zone/on the breakout. Simple breakouts. Everyone's blowing the zone early this year. Maybe it's not part of the system and it's just players being stupid. Or maybe it's because they expect Karlsson to skate it out. Well Karlsson isn't on the ice all the time.

3-Everything was kept to the outside. The other teams got lots of shots but few quality chances. Players never gave to the inside, they didn't get beat.

Just a general tendency to think offense first, complete opposite of last year.
Or, more simply, the difference with last year is that Spezza and Karlsson, players who are offensive-minded, were injured. McStache was forced into a defensive-minded attitude (and a whole bunch of young guys he had no choice but to give massive ice time to) with the team he had.

Now subtract two calm veteran players (Alf and Gonchar) who logged a lot of ice time and bring back the two offensive-minded players who will get a lot of ice time, as well as a plethora of young prospect that you can afford to send down or to bench, and you get a massively different outlook. The talent is here, but it is very different from last year, and I don't think McStashe has shown how to make good use of it yet.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Or, more simply, the difference with last year is that Spezza and Karlsson, players who are offensive-minded, were injured. McStache was forced into a defensive-minded attitude (and a whole bunch of young guys he had no choice but to give massive ice time to) with the team he had.

Now subtract two calm veteran players (Alf and Gonchar) who logged a lot of ice time and bring back the two offensive-minded players who will get a lot of ice time, as well as a plethora of young prospect that you can afford to send down or to bench, and you get a massively different outlook. The talent is here, but it is very different from last year, and I don't think McStashe has shown how to make good use of it yet.

Wasn't he the coach two years ago where we finished 2nd in goal scored?

OK... who is next with a more complex explanation between now and two years ago?

jeffsens11

Nov 29, 2008
Trust in the Stache.....its funny how quickly people seem to forgot he has a Jack Adams trophy and nomination in his first 2 seasons

WhiteLight*

They need to play the same though. It was effective. MacLean is just letting then run loose because of those two players… he thinks it fits their style better. Well it's not working. At all. Way too many goals against being scored and way too many quality scoring chances. That style doesn't work.

It's just a mess… regardless, even if he reeled them in, I don't think Spezza would buy in into it

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

Now if only phillips was able to score more. :laugh:

The record is so good because a team has to be bad enough to let Chris Phillips score for the Sens to win.

I think tonight the Sens will let in an early goal, fight to stay in it, then ultimately give up 2-3 goals in the 3rd. Actually that's not what I think will happen it's what I HOPE will happen.

I think we're going to get dominated. Wouldn't be surprised if the score was 6-0.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

I like that approach too. Like you I wouldn't split Ryan and Turris but would move MacArthur to play with Spezza to give Spezza an experienced winger. Unfortunately MacLean's idea of duos seem to involve flipping Ryan between the top 2 lines instead of putting MacArthur with Spezza. Whether Michalek moves to the 2nd or 3rd or Conacher or Z-Bad gets promoted could be left to trial or as the game goes until the right balance is reached.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spezza and Karlsson always seem to hang out and stretch together during warm ups. Felt bad for Neil because those two and Phillips were stretching together in kind of a triangle while Neil just stood there looking left out. Lol.

Also I think taking Mac and Ryan away from Turris would be a slight improvement because they'd be with our best player but the problem isn't solved. Turris would then struggle. Believe it or not that line isn't being carried by one player it's a case where the whole is more than the sum of its parts due to chemistry.

The defence is where things need to change. Spezza will score no matter who he's with.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Well it's almost game time. I hope this is not another blow-out and the boys can keep it to at least within a respectable outcome. :eek:

Let's see a really good boys effort boys and maybe, just maybe we can catch the Bruins napping or dull the skate sharpening machine they use?? ;)

SelleckStache

Mar 12, 2007
Ottawa
I like that approach too. Like you I wouldn't split Ryan and Turris but would move MacArthur to play with Spezza to give Spezza an experienced winger. Unfortunately MacLean's idea of duos seem to involve flipping Ryan between the top 2 lines instead of putting MacArthur with Spezza. Whether Michalek moves to the 2nd or 3rd or Conacher or Z-Bad gets promoted could be left to trial or as the game goes until the right balance is reached.

I would like to see Macarthur and Spezza too. A good Left shooting LW with a decent shot who knows how to get into the open spots. .. if only we could get a time-machine to get 05-06 Heatley... A defensivly responsible RW would complete the line.

I find Michalek is better at driving the net and is more productive when his linemates shoot. Something Spezza can do more of, but he's better used as a playmaker

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think they should put Smith with Spezza and move Zibanejad to 3rd line centre. I like a Smith - Spezza - Michalek line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad