GDT: Bruins @ Sens | 7:30 Fri Nov 15th |SNET-E TVA | I Guess Ill Make It Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Sometimes. But people often start to play the blame game after one bad outing, or when it is still early in the year. More often than not it is simply not liking a particular player and jumping on that guy when the road gets rocky. Those voices switch to "sell while the value is still high" when things turn around and we are picking up points, so there is no winning with that crowd.

"one bad outing"

I wish it was only one.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
possibly. But it's the same dumb decisions over and over again. At least try some new dumb decisions

He did and unfortunately for the rest of us the rest of the team **** the bed. He put Wier and Corvo in and no one showed up, ironically the worst player on the ice stayed in the line up (cowen) while the other two suffered. I don't get his decisions but considering where he has taken this team and developed certain players over the last two seasons saying things like fire the coach 18 games in is ridiculous. To pretend that any of us know better right now is ridiculous.

Corvo always plays lights out against former teams but he is out of the lineup... it sucks.

I am hoping that Grybas last few games in the press box will help his game, he got to watch what a young stay at home D man should do (boro) and what a young stay at home shouldn't do (cowen). Here's hoping the fact he went to college means he can actually learn from this.

Clarke

Aug 21, 2008
Toronto
Didn't we already try the Cowen-Gryba combo in Islander game? I remember seeing these pylons playing together at some point.

I still have faith in Cowen.. Gryba not so much i want Corvo in the lineup over him.

WhiteLight*

Did I say that? We must have a ghost writer on our hands.

If you expect 82 games of amazing and tightly contested games, this league isn't going to agree with you. I remember plenty of stinkers last year and the year before we were hardly 7 games in when we had already gotten 7 goals dropped on us at home by two bad teams in Colorado and Philly.

Big woop. That's the gamble you make when investing time and money in a sports team. This team has given us plenty to cheer for over the past two years that I'm not gonna lose my **** after one lose. Few fanbases get to get to see talent like Karlsson, Spezza, Turris, Ryan and Anderson on nightly basis. We are far from in bad situation yet.

Also, people claiming we're losing due to effort and the like are just lazy. Can't diagnosis problems so they just default. The problems here aren't as bad as people are making them out to be. We're a line shuffle and a young D man regaining confidence to being back to the playoff team we were last year.

Try to have some fun tonight people. Maybe instead of spitting venom via your keyboard about money issues and Spezza being a bad of turd, watch two divisional rivals play a good game. People going to the game, maybe make a little noise with me? I'm sure the boys wouldn't mind a rocking building for once instead of the morgue it's been thus far.

Don't you get it? It's not about ONE loss. First of all it's about the 20 games so far this season, and second it's the response the team has to these losses. Or lack of it. there's been very very little done to correct this mess.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Anderson will let in some softies early like every other game. Maclean is an idiot for playing him again. The team seems to play so much better when they know that Lehner is in net.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Part of the reason why he doesn't have a Cup. Plays it safe

Was the Ryan trade safe?

How about picking Maidens?

Offering Cowen that long term deal (thank god he didn't take it) was that safe?

Trading for Turris was that safe?

Leaving a GM job for a coaching job was that a safe career move?

You're just saying things to say them.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Anderson will let in some softies early like every other game. Maclean is an idiot for playing him again. The team seems to play so much better when they know that Lehner is in net.

Anderson is not the problem the sens give up the most shots in the league. Do yourself a favor and really watch, Minnesota, St Louis, L.A play a full game then watch the sens. Then you will see whats wrong and don't tell me its the players talent level or the coaching, watch how they compete close gaps, compete for lose pucks and get in lanes.

iKb5MgiBDTWpm.gif

That's how you play D

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Was the Ryan trade safe?

He was forced into the Ryan trade with Alfredsson's departure.
Has Maidens even cracked an NHL lineup yet?
Sure it's safe, it means the next GM has to deal with it and he doesn't need to negotiate the next contract.
Extremely so on the coaching job. He knew he'd be protected from the media here, who fawn over his every word. Ever notice how Murray has never had the magnifying glass on him?

Murray isn't "safe", really. But he is reactionary and he doesn't "go all the way". When we did he rebuild Phillips should have gone or at least not been renewed. Neil should have gone. Since Alfredsson ended up leaving they probably could have asked him as well. By keeping veterans that are blocking other players, Murray is basically stunting this team's growth. Of course we don't want to be Oilers PT II but we need to get rid of deadweight and this is one of Murray's flaws, he is far, far too loyal to his veterans.

Now, that all said Murray has done a fair bit of good. Karlsson was a great pick, Rundblad got us a 1.5 line centre, MacLean was a great hire (finally,after three other coaches..) and so on. It's still a very, very mixed bag though and I'm not sure I'm seeing an elite team here. When this team is elite Greening, Kassian Phillips should all be gone.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'll be at the game tonight, I'll be cheering for the team, and I will be smh'ing at MacStache's decisions all the same! One can be a fan and still keep the critical thinking hat on. Go Sens Go!

WhiteLight*

Was the Ryan trade safe?

sure, that's one move, only made because Alfredsson left. He panicked.

3rd round pick man. 3rd round

meh. not safe, but not really risky. Cowen spend zero time in the AHL and made the jump to the NHL at 20. I think it's a pretty safe bet he'll be an NHL player for 8 more years, no matter how he's played to start the year. With the cap going up and all that, at $3.5M, he'd have to be a 6/7 defenseman for that to be bad value. Not risky.

Not really, Rundblad wasn't even close to a sure bet

Has nothing to do with his GM abilities.

You could only name one. Over the course of his career, he's never been able to close the deal and take his teams to the next step.

Even with rentals like Sutton and Cullen, they were play it safe moves. He pays fair value in the trades he makes.

And I meant not necessarily ''risk'', but BOLDNESS. He doesn't make bold moves. Trading a guy like Neil could be just the shakeup the doctor ordered, but he obviously would never do it.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

meh. not safe, but not really risky. Cowen spend zero time in the AHL and made the jump to the NHL at 20. I think it's a pretty safe bet he'll be an NHL player for 8 more years, no matter how he's played to start the year. With the cap going up and all that, at $3.5M, he'd have to be a 6/7 defenseman for that to be bad value. Not risky.

You could only name one. Over the course of his career, he's never been able to close the deal and take his teams to the next step.

Even with rentals like Sutton and Cullen, they were play it safe moves. He pays fair value in the trades he makes.

And I meant not necessarily ''risk'', but BOLDNESS. He doesn't make bold moves. Trading a guy like Neil could be just the shakeup the doctor ordered, but he obviously would never do it.

The backlash he would receive as GM if he traded Neil would be too much for his tender heart to handle.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If this is the reaction after a 1 game losing streak, I almost want the team lose tonight just to see the meltdown here. Does anyone here actually enjoy watching hockey, or is it just the complaining part that lures in you folks?

team has been bad since game #1 this season. i know it's hard to remember that far back. no significant improvement in 18 games is the reason for the reactions.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'll be at the game tonight, I'll be cheering for the team, and I will be smh'ing at MacStache's decisions all the same! One can be a fan and still keep the critical thinking hat on. Go Sens Go!

Absolutely. I'm not pleased at all with the line combos or goalie..... pretty much like the rest of us at this point.

McLean is getting more and more criticism, and rightly so.

Something I heard on the radio is the idea of putting Smith on Spezza's wing. I thought it was a little loony, but considering Smith's poise and calm puck handling, it may just work. I'm sure it would better than some of the other options we've seen. We would lose Smith at 3C but just drop Zbane in. Throw Pageau on the top line with Smith and Spezza if you wanna get real cray up in here. 3 centres on one line, but Pageau is horrendous at faceoffs anyway. Plus it would clear the log jam at 3 and 4C.

I'm happy to see the Methot Man with Karlsson again though. I'd rather Corvo in for Gryba since Boro makes Gryba useless.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
possibly. But it's the same dumb decisions over and over again. At least try some new dumb decisions

Depends on if you believe players have forgotten how to play hockey over the summer, or if we have a greater number than usual of players who are off to a bad start this year. The current coach of the year is betting that the lineup is fine once players get going. I don't agree with all of his calls, but I do agree that (1) it is unlikely that a half dozen or more players will continue slumping forever, and (2) our lineup is far more promising than our record would suggest.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Please see the post below regarding Ryan.

Yeah third round pick before anyone else did it.

Not really risky with Cowen? I don't know if you have been watching but it looks like he has absolutely zero hockey sense, this is not something that can be taught either.

Rundblad wasn't close to a sure bet? He was a top 5 prospect in the world he practically led the SEL in scoring as a 19 year old D man. They traded a first rounder for, at the time Turris had work ethic and major attitude question marks. That's a risk.

Rentals like Sutton or Cullen what do you expect him to turn water into wine lol.

Everything I listed was very bold, why don't you look at teams like Colorado or Montreal what have they done exactly?

I guess you think he should manage the team like Holmgren throw money at everyone and sign everybody. Even if he wanted to be so stupid they don't have the cash flow. They also work within a limited budget id say I like the home runs they have gone for there is only so much risk you can take.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I guess you're an expert. If we could all turn back time we could all be GM's imagine the competitive advantage.

He was forced into the Ryan trade with Alfredsson's departure.
Has Maidens even cracked an NHL lineup yet?
Sure it's safe, it means the next GM has to deal with it and he doesn't need to negotiate the next contract.
Extremely so on the coaching job. He knew he'd be protected from the media here, who fawn over his every word. Ever notice how Murray has never had the magnifying glass on him?

Murray isn't "safe", really. But he is reactionary and he doesn't "go all the way". When we did he rebuild Phillips should have gone or at least not been renewed. Neil should have gone. Since Alfredsson ended up leaving they probably could have asked him as well. By keeping veterans that are blocking other players, Murray is basically stunting this team's growth. Of course we don't want to be Oilers PT II but we need to get rid of deadweight and this is one of Murray's flaws, he is far, far too loyal to his veterans.

Now, that all said Murray has done a fair bit of good. Karlsson was a great pick, Rundblad got us a 1.5 line centre, MacLean was a great hire (finally,after three other coaches..) and so on. It's still a very, very mixed bag though and I'm not sure I'm seeing an elite team here. When this team is elite Greening, Kassian Phillips should all be gone.

Forced into the Ryan trade? Lol You don't know much about how this all works do you? Do you think trades just happen? Do you think Alfie decided to leave then 12 hours later they made a huge deal like that? The negotiations had been going on for weeks for a deal of this magnitude. Their scouts both pro and minor would have been reviewing prospects and players for a long time.

You completely missed the point of the Maidens comment, NO he hasn't made it because it looks like he will never recover from his concussion. Murray before anyone else took a risk is that playing it safe?

You think teams don't need veterans? REALLY look at Edmonton.

The rest of your post has nothing to do with what the topic at hand is. Its about if he plays it safe or takes risks. He takes plenty of risks.

Forgot the Filatov trade there's a risk and it back fired.

Id rather a GM that goes for it more often then not because out of the big moves the sens are looking pretty damn good. Ryan and Turris are the only reasons this team isn't in the basement.

WhiteLight*

Depends on if you believe players have forgotten how to play hockey over the summer, or if we have a greater number than usual of players who are off to a bad start this year. The current coach of the year is betting that the lineup is fine once players get going. I don't agree with all of his calls, but I do agree that (1) it is unlikely that a half dozen or more players will continue slumping forever, and (2) our lineup is far more promising than our record would suggest.

The difference is the team is playing differently than it was last year. This personnel hasn't proven to be good playing this crazy high risk style.

Failure #1 is not adjusting the system.

Also, the Smith, Neil and Greening line has not worked ever, including last year. How can someone be so blind, I don't even understand.

And last year he benched Greening for a few games. Where is this stuff this year? Nobody is being held accountable except of course our little Zibby two shoes

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Do you guys really think Kassian is the problem? He barely plays lol, and when he does, he does his job. Gets the puck out gets it in hits everyone in sight doesn't take penalties. The guys like him and they are more comfortable with him in the lineup, plus the sens are playing Boston as home. This is the toughest team in the league you cant get pushed around at home.

he does his job

2 fights in ten games.

Gets the puck out

Starts in O zone 72% of the time, finished in O zone 58% of the time...

hits everyone in sight

12 hits in 10 games, almost every one of those hits left him terribly out of position.

This is the toughest team in the league you cant get pushed around at home.

I'm sure his 3 minutes of ice time will really help. Those staged fights really make the guys feel safe.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
team has been bad since game #1 this season. i know it's hard to remember that far back. no significant improvement in 18 games is the reason for the reactions.

Well we obviously remember things a lot differently.

I remember Karlsson struggling mightily, a PP unable to gain the zone, a Zack Smith who didn't look like he could play in the league, Da Costa over Zibanejad, and a PK unable clear the zone.

Oh yeah and didn't Ryan have a pie eating problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->