Confirmed with Link: Bruins Select David Pastrnak w the 25th overall pick in the 2014 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Right, I'd rather see him in Providence learning our system and so I can watch him play. A lot easier to keep track of a prospect in Providence then it would be if he was in Sweden. Plus who knows, if he does impress in Providence he has the chance to move up to the big club.

We'll see. First step is development camp in a couple of weeks, and they'll go from there.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
exactly, the myth that Claude won't play young guys is crazy given the fact that Jordan Caron got to play in 123 games while looking competent in exactly none of them.

this sort of hyperbole is the worst ****ing thing about this board.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If Julien is still coach? 5 years.

c`mon Colt, has the 'Claude hates the kids' argument not been squashed yet??

while I may not agree with your opinions on much, you usually back it up with intelligent arguments, sorry, on this particular subject, I can`t come close to agreeing

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Right, because as Milan Lucic, David Krejci, Brad Marchand, Torey Krug, Adam McQuaid, Reilly Smith, Tuukka Rask and Kevan Miller can attest, Julien won't play rookies.

zing!

Hamilton managed to get in pretty young too. Wonder where the anti-rookie myth came from.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Right, because as Milan Lucic, David Krejci, Brad Marchand, Torey Krug, Adam McQuaid, Reilly Smith, Tuukka Rask and Kevan Miller can attest, Julien won't play rookies.

Everyone is a rokie at some point, byt a lot of those guys you mentioned didnt play fulltime until 4 or more years after being drafted. Ornot drafted at all. So 5 years isnt really a stretch.

spooner was drafted 4 years ago and he hasnt cracked the lineup yet but he's cpnsidereda top prospect.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Everyone is a rokie at some point, byt a lot of those guys you mentioned didnt play fulltime until 4 or more years after being drafted. Ornot drafted at all. So 5 years isnt really a stretch.

spooner was drafted 4 years ago and he hasnt cracked the lineup yet but he's cpnsidereda top prospect.

That's more up to the F.O. than Julien. He will play the guys he's supplied, regardless of inexperience.

And Hamilton, Krug (who finished fourth in Calder voting), Miller and Lucic had minimal or no AHL time.

From what the players themselves have said, Julien is a very good coach and teacher of young players, patient and instructive.

Of course, he's not going to throw a young kid out there and let him sink or swim, to the detriment of the team. No NHL coach, unless he has a team full of such kids and little chance of success, is going to do that.

Working kids into the lineup of a successful team is a balancing act, and from what I've seen of coaches around the league, Julien is one of the best at it.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
In this thread people are disappointed when a top team with veteran players is a tough place for 19 year olds to crack the roster. I for one, and surprised :)

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
That's more up to the F.O. than Julien. He will play the guys he's supplied, regardless of inexperience.

And Hamilton, Krug (who finished fourth in Calder voting), Miller and Lucic had minimal or no AHL time.

From what the players themselves have said, Julien is a very good coach and teacher of young players, patient and instructive.

Of course, he's not going to throw a young kid out there and let him sink or swim, to the detriment of the team. No NHL coach, unless he has a team full of such kids and little chance of success, is going to do that.

Working kids into the lineup of a successful team is a balancing act, and from what I've seen of coaches around the league, Julien is one of the best at it.

So do you think he's closer than 4-5 years away? Not sure what you're really getting at here.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
So do you think he's closer than 4-5 years away? Not sure what you're really getting at here.

I haven't a clue. I've never seen him play, have no idea of his actual size, and I don't know what the roster situation is/will be this year/whenever.

What I'm getting at is the dismissive "with Julien as coach? Five years" comment, which perpetrates the odd "Julien hates kids" meme that has been disproven time and time again.

When/if Pastrnak makes the Boston squad is up to him, and the impression he makes on the player development folks. He's not going to be held back because "Julien hates kids."

HanktheHammer*

I expect David Pastrnak to be in the Bruins lineup in 3 years, 4 years tops.

OrreyKroog

May 10, 2014
Kid reminds me of Johnny Gaudreau from what I've seen. Granted haven't seen much of him but from first glance he has similar shiftiness and hands. Vision and smarts prob not on the same level but I haven't seen enough. Probably a bit less finish and a little more grit.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
A stand out performer at the 2013 Ivan Hlinka Memorial for Team Czech
he carried his momentum to Sodertalje of the Allsvenskan where he
formed terrific chemistry with William Nylander this season .. speed and
high offensive ability fuel his game as he is a dynamic player off the rush
and in open ice .. fast hands and is always trying to make things happen
..sensationally talented stick handler who is loaded with individual
skills including a highly deceptive toe-drag move ..at times his vision
and awareness come into question, showing signs of tunnel vision and
a bull-in-a-china-shop approach .. missed the final eight league games
and entire playoffs as the victim of solid open ice hit as a result of him
blindly cutting through the middle .. shoulders are concaved and he is
very light up top - needs to add upper body weight to win puck battles ..
a puck-chaser defensively - seems to gravitate and track behind the puck
on the back check .. doesn’t do enough to assess the surroundings and
the possible defensive threats - can be careless in his clearing attempts

.. ended the season on a high note helping Team Czech win a silver
medal at the World U18 Championships riding shot gun with Jakub Vrana

McKeen's

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
A stand out performer at the 2013 Ivan Hlinka Memorial for Team Czech
he carried his momentum to Sodertalje of the Allsvenskan where he
formed terrific chemistry with William Nylander this season .. speed and
high offensive ability fuel his game as he is a dynamic player off the rush
and in open ice .. fast hands and is always trying to make things happen
..sensationally talented stick handler who is loaded with individual
skills including a highly deceptive toe-drag move ..at times his vision
and awareness come into question, showing signs of tunnel vision and
a bull-in-a-china-shop approach .. missed the final eight league games
and entire playoffs as the victim of solid open ice hit as a result of him
blindly cutting through the middle .. shoulders are concaved and he is

.. ended the season on a high note helping Team Czech win a silver
medal at the World U18 Championships riding shot gun with Jakub Vrana

McKeen's

FFS he's 18 years old. He still has some growing to do and no doubt he'll be adding muscle to his frame. If he was 22 and this slight yeah I'd be worried. As for the rest of it there isn't anything he can't correct. Give the kid a chance before writing him off will you? :shakehead

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
FFS he's 18 years old. He still has some growing to do and no doubt he'll be adding muscle to his frame. If he was 22 and this slight yeah I'd be worried. As for the rest of it there isn't anything he can't correct. Give the kid a chance before writing him off will you? :shakehead

An 18-year-old boy has no room to grow, either physically or mentally. Don't you know that? :sarcasm:

What I liked about Pastrnak citing Krejci as his idol was saying he's also someone to emulate defensively. Music to Julien's ears, no doubt.:)

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
shoulders are concaved and he is

McKeen's
I was going to paste the same thing here --I had not checked this thread yesterday and I come back here to see people jumping all over me for giving an OPINION?

He will likely spend the next 2-3 years in Sweden --which is time he will need to put on some weight. Then he will need time in Providence to learn the North American game / defensive systems. Combined, that will likely be a 4 year process.

I don't see why everyone is so offended by a 5 year prediction? We are going on year 5 with Spooner and he was one of the top AHL rookies LAST year. *If he bulks up much faster than I anticipate then I could see him in Boston in 3 years.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

He never said he was "worried" --he was pointing out reasons that this kid will be abit of a project. I swear, some people have him penciled in on the starting line-up next year and freak out because we are saying to exercise caution and give him time to grow (physically and defensively).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad