The Athletic - Boston Bruins say Bruce Cassidy’s contract status will be addressed

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruce is not going to have a fun summer

While the Bruins begin their offseason preparations, Cassidy will undergo a knee replacement next week, and his rehab is expected to take the rest of the summer. He’s expected to be ready for training camp.

Bruins say Bruce Cassidy's contract status will be addressed...

“He’s under contract, so we have decisions that we’re going to progress with, and he’ll be part of that,” general manager Don Sweeney said. “He’s under contract, so it’s not a concern right now, but we will address it.”

En route to the Stanley Cup final, Cassidy outcoached Toronto’s Mike Babcock, Columbus’ John Tortorella and Carolina’s Rod Brind’Amour. The Blues’ Craig Berube proved to be the Cup-winning coach.

Babcock, who won a Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings, earns $6.25 million per season with the Maple Leafs. Former three-time Cup-winning coach Joel Quenneville with the Chicago Blackhawks was recently given a five-year deal worth $5.25 million per season. New York Islanders coach Barry Trotz, who won a Cup with the Capitals in 2018, earns $4 million per season.

The Philadelphia Flyers recently named Alain Vigneault coach and gave him a five-year deal worth $5 million per season. New York Rangers coach David Quinn just completed his first year as an NHL coach, and he earns $2.4 million per season. Even recently named Buffalo Sabres coach Ralph Krueger, who hasn’t coached in the NHL since 2012-13, is making $3.9 million per season.

Safe to say Cassidy deserves a pay raise and job security.

“It’s something that obviously Don’s got to deal with this offseason, and then he’ll talk to me about where he thinks it’s going to land,” team president Cam Neely explained. “Yeah, the landscape has changed a little bit, so Don will certainly start those conversations with Butch and his representative.”

Reactions: Spooner st

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I think Cassidy has done a great job, all things considered. Sign me up for more. :)

Hope all goes well with his surgery. Wonder if this doc is still available? ;)

bionicmanphototwo.jpg

Reactions: BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m just glad we have a good coach now and don’t have to go through one of those grating “but no one else is available!” conversations when talking about moving on from an existing coach.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I can feel the pain of Dave Lewis, Robbie Ftorek, Steve Kasper, Iron Mike ugh . . .

:laugh:

Steve Kasper is actually the first coach that I can consciously remember from when I first started watching the Bruins. A weird time to become a fan. Even from a young age, I thought he just looked awkward behind the bench.

Reactions: Dr Hook

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Yes, he got the Bruins to the finals but he's also the reason they didn't win the Cup.
In his end-of-year interview, he straight up said Heinen played well on the top line but he didn't think it was sustainable so he put Pasta back even though that line with Pasta sucked game after game.
He had a working line but went with a line that didn't work and kept getting scored upon, multiple times per game. I would want to see more growth from him next year in this regard before signing him up for big money.

Reactions: Strafer

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Yes, he got the Bruins to the finals but he's also the reason they didn't win the Cup.
In his end-of-year interview, he straight up said Heinen played well on the top line but he didn't think it was sustainable so he put Pasta back even though that line with Pasta sucked game after game.
He had a working line but went with a line that didn't work and kept getting scored upon, multiple times per game. I would want to see more growth from him next year in this regard before signing him up for big money.
Christ...

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
:laugh:

Steve Kasper is actually the first coach that I can consciously remember from when I first started watching the Bruins. A weird time to become a fan. Even from a young age, I thought he just looked awkward behind the bench.

I didn't see anything in the article of what Cassidy makes now?

Re: Kasper being the first coach that you remember...
Since watching the B's in 1970 he is IMO the worst coach that I've ever witnessed behind
the B's bench.
He took on a persona of being over his head yet acted aloof behind the bench.
I remember how he pouted and made these weird faces as his "troops" looked confused and pissed off
by his decisions game in and game out.
I feel bad saying this but he was an embarrassment to watch. His "moves" were pure nonsense and if
you watched his face you could tell that he simply was out of his element and had no idea what he was doing.
They say that star players make the worse coaches, at the time of his hire so many of us (in my circle) wondered
why a guy known as a PIA to the star players would get such a job with no track record but we thought
that maybe, following the careers of good Bruins coaches that weren't stars like:
Terry O'Reilly
Mike Milbury
Don Cherry, we expected the best and got the (possibly) the worst![/QUOTE]

Reactions: Dr Hook

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Its a shame that these are the only changes he has the balls to make. No chance he'd swap Mojo and Marchand for example. Thats my real issue that a guy like Bergy won't get bumped down (for his own good) when hes not feeling it.

The Finals were bad but we still smoked them in a G6. Hes a good coach.

I'm probably unreasonable to expect more sandpaper and I don't want to hire another Keenan.

Reactions: Strafer

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
He deserves a great contract. I thought he made some mistakes in the Cup Final but he got us back to a top team after 2 straight years of blown playoff berths down the stretch. Clearly knows how to work this team. We're lucky.

Reactions: Alicat and Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I just did a Google search for Bruce Cassidy's salary but came up empty. How do we know his value compared to other coaches and the job that he's done when we don't know what he's presently making?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I just did a Google search for Bruce Cassidy's salary but came up empty. How do we know his value compared to other coaches and the job that he's done when we don't know what he's presently making?

They never made it public as far as I know. My guess is he isn't making any more than 2 million right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->