GDT: Bruins @ Red Wings - 7:00PM ET (preseason Game 3)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
D-men Ice-Times:

Totals
----------
Cholowski, 22:51
Sulak, 21:04
Hicketts, 20:13
Kronwall, 18:43
Saarijärvi, 17:13
McIlrath, 16:52

PP Ice-time:
--------------
Kronwall, 4:51
Saarijärvi, 2:32
Cholowski, 2:25
(others zero)

PK Ice-time:
--------------
Hicketts, 5:48
Sulak, 5:44
McIlrath, 3:03
Cholowski, 2:59
Saarijärvi 1:03
Kronwall 1:03

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Considering the prospect tournament/preseason thus far. I think Cholowski is good enough to play in the NHL on the bottom pairing. But I think its in his best interest to go flourish at the AHL level this season with a couple short callups in the NHL. I couldn't be more happy with his development. This kid is going to be very good in a couple years.

At this point I'd rather have Cholo in the AHL learning how to play defense and better decision making in his own zone.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Gonna be funny when we all rip Sulak on a nightly basis after singing his praises in pre-season. :laugh:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
^ Sheesh, man. Way to be partly negative. Can’t just let posters be and let the positivity flow for even a little without criticizing what they say? He’s right. We ARE ALMOST there. If progress keeps up... in a year or two we should start to see glimpses of success and a path forward.

Anyways, I thought Zadina looked excellent tonight. His shot is filthy. Almost like a mini-Ovi.

I think he sort of-kind of made a case for staying. He adapted really well tonight.

I think Ras, Hronek and Sulak should be guaranteed makes.

Last edited:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Another Svechnikov OT winner. McIlrath with an assist. Zod gets his 1st along with Cholo.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Gonna be funny when we all rip Sulak on a nightly basis after singing his praises in pre-season. :laugh:

While I doubt it stays this way like you're eluding to, it has been tough to rip his play through the first two games. He has made a big case to be up with the main squad only needs to back that up one or two more times this pre-season. But I am sure there will be bumpy moments with all our d-man this year, they aren't a very good group.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Rasmussen with Glendening and Helm tonight. Smith-Turgeon-Svechnikov.

McIlrath would have been good in the dead puck era. Way too slow for today's NHL.

I never realized it. Just loved his physicality. It's a shame his skating isn't as good as could be. Seems to be the only thing holding him back.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
While I doubt it stays this way like you're eluding to, it has been tough to rip his play through the first two games. He has made a big case to be up with the main squad only needs to back that up one or two more times this pre-season. But I am sure there will be bumpy moments with all our d-man this year, they aren't a very good group.

Ya, no rip on him or the fans. I just remember when we all loved Brendan Smith lol. It's hard for me to get excited about defenders now.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
i am extremeley relieved to see svech playing well... he's the guy i'm rooting for the most at the moment

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Ya, no rip on him or the fans. I just remember when we all loved Brendan Smith lol. It's hard for me to get excited about defenders now.
Same. I don't think I'll get excited about a young defenceman unless we draft a super stud at the top of the draft. The Smith,Xo,Kindl and what's his face bust quadfecta ( I know that's not a word) has left me jaded and broken inside.

Who the hell is the guys name I can't remember that couldn't figure out defense? Jeez I'm getting old and senile.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Same. I don't think I'll get excited about a young defenceman unless we draft a super stud at the top of the draft. The Smith,Xo,Kindl and what's his face bust quadfecta ( I know that's not a word) has left me jaded and broken inside.

Who the hell is the guys name I can't remember that couldn't figure out defense? Jeez I'm getting old and senile.

Sproul

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Brendan Smith doesn't play for the red wings anymore.Just because he didn't pan out doesn't mean future prospects won't either....

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
^ Sheesh, man. Way to be partly negative. Can’t just let posters be and let the positivity flow for even a little without criticizing what they say? He’s right. We ARE ALMOST there. If progress keeps up... in a year or two we should start to see glimpses of success and a path forward.

Anyways, I thought Zadina looked excellent tonight. His shot is filthy. Almost like a mini-Ovi.

I think he sort of-kind of made a case for staying. He adapted really well tonight.

He was being realistic not overly optimistic about a preseason game.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

I think that was a pretty optimistic counter point. The Wings aren't going to be terrible forever, and there is a lot be excited about. I just think that to say they are on the upswing is premature.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Not even close to back, this actually might be the year the bottom out. But, there's at least some light at the end of the tunnel.
In a funny way you are both right. This will likely be the worst wings team since the early 80s, but simultaneously, it has the best set of young players since the early 90s, and in all likelihood will gain some more good ones over the next couple of years as vets are traded for picks and we hit the bottom of the curve this year. Funny really, now the strategy has finally stopped hoping that exciting talents drop in the draft to us as a primary requirement, its started happening...

The key question now is can all these prospects who look like NHL players in the making become GOOD or EXCELLENT NHL players? Their development over the next 2-3 years will define where this franchise goes

Reactions: jkutswings

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Cholo was just fine defensively. If we want the kids on the team we have to take the good with the bad. I watched a lot of Sabres-Leafs and Dahlin had several mistakes that were much worse than anything Cholowski did and Dahlin is a lock to make the NHL and big contender for Calder. If Cholo wasn't contributing offensively, didn't look like one of our best puck-movers and wasn't playing over 22 minutes one could zone in on his smallest defensive shortcomings. But you have to consider what his overall impact to the team could be.

I hope it's a good sign that he is getting more icetime than any of the other D. They really seem to be testing him big time.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Cholo was just fine defensively. If we want the kids on the team we have to take the good with the bad. I watched a lot of Sabres-Leafs and Dahlin had several mistakes that were much worse than anything Cholowski did and Dahlin is a lock to make the NHL and big contender for Calder. If Cholo wasn't contributing offensively, didn't look like one of our best puck-movers and wasn't playing over 22 minutes one could zone in on his smallest defensive shortcomings. But you have to consider what his overall impact to the team could be.

I hope it's a good sign that he is getting more icetime than any of the other D. They really seem to be testing him big time.

Cholo has also played on NA ice for his whole life, so that's a major difference and is much older. And to say he looked fine defensively is way too generous. He looked like he was in over his head defensively most of the time. He played PMD well enough for a youngin but his defense left a ton to be desired.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I think that was a pretty optimistic counter point. The Wings aren't going to be terrible forever, and there is a lot be excited about. I just think that to say they are on the upswing is premature.

It was - technically for you anyways (no offense meant). But it wasn’t necessary to say weeellll, we can sort of see the light at the end of the tunnel, but going to SUCK this year.

Like, why can’t you have just said, ok things are looking brighter based on what we’ve seen so far this pre-season.

I mean, even if it’s premature I think some of us realize there are still going to be struggles.

Anyways I’m just nitpicking I suppose. I do disagree that it’s premature. In the past we’ve hyped up our prospects tremendously and none have panned out. I think Nyquist got screwed and would be a way better player in a different better team. But the past prospects we’ve had have not been as skilled as the ones we have now. I think we can all agree at least on that? And we are definitely seeing their progress play out smoothly in comparison. Still none are sure hits - but so far they look way more promising

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad