Recalled/Assigned: Bruins recall Matt Bartkowski on emergency basis (3/22)

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=661599

BRUINS RECALL BARTKOWSKI ON EMERGENCY BASIS: Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced March 22, that the club has recalled defenseman Matt Bartkowski from the Providence Bruins (AHL) on an emergency basis. Bartkowski will join the Boston Bruins in Toronto in advance of their game against the Maple Leafs on Saturday, March 23. In 56 games for the Providence Bruins this year, Bartkowski has registered three goals and 21 assists for 24 points with 56 penalty minutes. The blueliner’s 21 assists are ranked second among defensemen and fifth overall on the P-Bruins.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Wasn't ready in the past. In fact he's been flat out bad. But he's a big kid and has done well at lower levels so we'll see if he can look decent this time around with the big club.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
This is good. Bartkowski has the size and talent to fill in as a defensive guy who can also chip in on offense.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Is Bartkowski playing well in Providence this year? He hasn't looked good to me in any of the games where he has been called up.

Wonder why they went with him over Krug.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Boychuk isn't injured badly-while Boychuk has struggled this season, I think he still has Bartkowski beat.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Playing for Julien, where the Dmen use an ultra-patient approach toward establishing puck control and discouraging a forecheck, should help Bart.

With all due respect to Torey Krug, Bart was by far Providence's best defenseman over the first half of the season. David Warsofsky's game was significantly elevated, and then Krug's more recently.

Bartkowski is not a silky player, and coach Bruce Cassidy said around the holidays that the Bruins don't see offense in his speed. Cassidy was using him in a shutdown role at the time, and he was excelling at it while gradually adding a little offense to his game.

Cassidy also noted that Bart is faster than Krug, that he can skate his way out of trouble in his own end with the puck, comparing his acceleration to Paul Coffey's. Coming from a coach who, as a player, was a first-round pick as an aspiring offensive defenseman, that is a stunning assessment.

I tend to see some Al Sims in Bartkowski, strong kid with decent size and with speed but without elite-level hockey sense. Watching him in the minors, it seems he has the potential to be a solid bottom-pairing guy in the NHL and is just taking a longer developmental track to getting there. Given his assets and liabilities, a fast track would make no sense (ie. Sims).

The Bruins could be showcasing Bart or just taking his temperature at the NHL level deep into a season in which he excelled (at least for a large chunk of it) at the AHL level. He's RFA after this season.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays if he gets in -- hope he does. Bart's an intriguing prospect, especially since he added some physicality to his game. If he can function with a cool head -- and the PBruins (according to Cassidy) made systematic changes to align with Julien -- then the Bruins may get some idea about what they've got with this kid.

Most of the harsh criticism I read on the board about Bart is from people who have only seen his 6-minute NHL games and have not seen him play for Providence this season.

I don't know where I'll land on Bart, but I like the way he's handled himself down there and hope he shows he can play that left side in the 6 hole.

If no 55 (already no 54), then Dougie Hamilton is the only right shot in the lineup. So, if it's a showcase game, then Bart would definitely take a left-side spot and Julien would need to get Seidenberg over to the right, even when he's not skating with Chara.
One way that might work out is ...

33 -- 27
21-- 44
43 -- 45

Another version demanding more balance in minutes ...
33 -- 27
43 -- 44
45 -- 21

The only right-shooting defense prospect is Zach Trotman.

Bart, Krug and Warsofsky all shoot left and play left side.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
We have seen Ottawa hang tough despite the injuries by inserting many call-ups from the AHL.

With the outstanding record that Providence has this year, maybe the injuries will give Bruins management an opportunity to see first hand what kind of depth that they have in the AHL.

Spooner and now Bart could have an impact on any trades that Chia may or may not make before the April 3rd deadline.

Topshelf88

Jul 27, 2008
Great stuff doc. In the game I went to against Springfield last Friday Bart and Krug were both very good, but Bart jumped out more to me. Great in his own zone that night, and I thought he did a great job starting the breakout.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Probably went with Bart due to his size. I don't think they are too keen on playing Ference and Krug in the same lineup. They would get pushed around a lot.

Still disappointed that it wasn't Krug though...

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Great stuff doc. In the game I went to against Springfield last Friday Bart and Krug were both very good, but Bart jumped out more to me. Great in his own zone that night, and I thought he did a great job starting the breakout.

Bingo. If he can carry that kind of confidence into an NHL opportunity, then he becomes a live wire in the Bruins' plans or at the trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad