Confirmed with Link: Bruins (re)sign Christopher Breen 2014-15 $600k 2-way deal

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
This signing is pretty solid if we need a call-up. I like it. Good size, can fight, hopefully like a Kevan Miller type.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Flames fan here. I'm sure most of you have no idea who this is so wanted to write my views on him. Always liked the guy.

6'7, 225lb Defenseman.
Right now, he seems like an inbetweener. Great in the AHL, but not quite good enough for the NHL. However he was called up to the NHL again late last season and was beginning to show good improvement. Always been a late bloomer, wasn't an OHL regular until he was 18, went undrafted, I think in a few years he'll be a very solid NHL regular third pairing guy.

Solid signing, at the least he's a good addition to Providence. Sad the Flames didn't qualify him and wish him well!

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
they've had luck doing things with D-men who weren't doing other things in other organizations.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
are so bad off cap-wise that this guy is who we sign?

How much room do we actually have (or not have for ye whose glass is eternally half empty)?

The CapGeek summary suggests that the B's have $1.6M in space, but need to sign Smith, Krug, Bartkowski, Florek, Caron

Qualifying offers for most of these guys are gonna run ~$850k each. One would expect that Krug & Smitty get paid.
So, it seems to me that the Bruins are screwed.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
The CapGeek summary suggests that the B's have $1.6M in space, but need to sign Smith, Krug, Bartkowski, Florek, Caron

Qualifying offers for most of these guys are gonna run ~$850k each. One would expect that Krug & Smitty get paid.
So, it seems to me that the Bruins are screwed.

Add in the $4 million for Savard on LTIR. About $5.6 mil, move a guy here and there and you have enough to sign Smith, Krug, Florek, etc.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
At least Chia is addressing the serious lack of depth at defense that this organization was dealing with. Having only Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hamilton, Krug, Bartkowski, McQuaid, Miller, Morrison, Warsofski and Trotman to choose from I'm surprised Clode was able to put 3 pairs out there on a nightly basis. Thankfully he was able to use Potter and Meszaros as rentals to fill in the gaps at the end of the year, but the B's are going to need more NHL ready defensemen once October comes around.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Flames fan here. I'm sure most of you have no idea who this is so wanted to write my views on him. Always liked the guy.

6'7, 225lb Defenseman.
Right now, he seems like an inbetweener. Great in the AHL, but not quite good enough for the NHL. However he was called up to the NHL again late last season and was beginning to show good improvement. Always been a late bloomer, wasn't an OHL regular until he was 18, went undrafted, I think in a few years he'll be a very solid NHL regular third pairing guy.

Solid signing, at the least he's a good addition to Providence. Sad the Flames didn't qualify him and wish him well!

Thanks for the report.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
All I can say is, thank god we won in 2011 and I can die in peace.

Otherwise, I would be violently angry.

dup7

Jul 5, 2006
Halifax, NS
I just watched his fight card from last year….he's very capable. 2 of the fights were the result of crushing hits at the blue line…I gotta think a guy like Brian Burke would have him signed in Calgary if there wasn't some holes in his game...

Appreciate the Flames fans giving their 2 cents and wondering if any of the posters here who are around the game a lot (Kirk, Dom, etc) have a first hand take..?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Can't wait until the "Dress Breen or Warsofsky?" thread before game 1 next year against Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->