NESN Bruins ratings down 2% from a year ago - Celtics up 44%

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Given the season the Bruins had these numbers disappoint me. Bruins are averaging 71,550 households per games on NESN and the Celtics are averaging 78,582 households on NBC Sports Boston.

The Panthers are averaging 4.530 households a game :help:

Penguins find their way back to top of local ratings

Warriors stay atop local television ratings

Markets with both NHL and NBA teams - US only

BOSTON:

Bruins 2.95 (-2%)
Celtics 3.24 (+44%)

MINNEAPOLIS:

Wild 3.43 (-22%)
Timberwolves 2.63 (+76%)

PHILADELPHIA:

Flyers 1.96 (-25%)
Sixers 2.44 (+40%)

DETROIT:

Red Wings 1.51 (-27%)
Pistons NA

CHICAGO:

Blackhawks 2.36 (-29%)
Bulls 1.81

WASHINGTON:

Capitals 1.19 (-8%)
Wizzards 1.48 (+39%)

DALLAS:

Stars 0.71 (+88%)
Mavericks NA

DENVER:

Avalanche 1.07 (+79%)
Nuggets NA

NEW YORK:

Rangers 0.85 (-36%)
Devils 0.59 (+50%)
Islanders 0.39 (+21%)

Knicks NA
Nets 0.38 (+11%)

LOS ANGELES:

Kings 0.54
Lakers NA

Clippers 0.54 (-41%)

PHOENIX:

Coyotes 0.35 (-17%)
Suns 0.59 (-48%)

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
That's strange

They're way better than last year and morefunto watch

Even I skipped some games last year

Haven't missed a one this year

Edit: @Fenway, do ratings take into account people watching from online streaming like vue and YouTube tv? If not that's definitely why the ratings have gone down

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
NESN *****

The games are getting unwatchable , Third rate coverage .

If you didn't know the score one would think they are always losing with those debbie downers in between periods. I want to hear cheerleaders not be lectured on the sport.

Dale could care less about the Bruins he's working for a paycheck. The whole product is junk

Reactions: smithformeragent

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
NESN *****

The games are getting unwatchable , Third rate coverage .

If you didn't know the score one would think they are always losing with those debbie downers in between periods. I want to hear cheerleaders not be lectured on the sport.

Dale could care less about the Bruins he's working for a paycheck. The whole product is junk

There green screen crap and outdated cameras need to be fixed as well, and can we not have the audio switch in game to booth. Seems unnecessary

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
2% drop is probably from viewers dropping cable and/or from casual XFINITY viewers who probably stopped watching because all they would see when they turned on NESN were pixels.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
2% is a probably from all the power outages this year. 2% is someone taking some water from the bucket with an eye dropper. Won’t stop me from watching.

Celtics should be more concerned with such highs and lows

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
People gave up on the Bruins at the start of the year

And the Celtics went crazy so everyone jumped on the bandwagon

Didn’t help the most rated radio show in Boston said the bruins suck and there season is over after 3 games

But I heard Felger say a few weeks ago the Bruins destroyed the Celtics in the Ratings from February up until now and it wasn’t even close

Just took casual fans a while to notice how good the Bruins where

But to start the season in November and December during the 16 game winning streak Celtics ratings where up over 100% from previous season..than plummeted

Last edited:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Interesting numbers. Here are some thoughts.

Are ratings still determined by random sampling? I remember doing that when we were kids back in the 70's once. Surely there has to be a more scientific way of doing it with modern technology, especially with so much money at stake. There just seem to be some really puzzling numbers, and as we've seen with elections, polling doesn't always give an accurate depiction of what's going on.

The Panthers could win Stanley Cups for a decade straight and there still wouldn't be more than 4,530 gluttons for punishment in that market that could tolerate their broadcasting crew.

The Bruins number is disappointing, especially since not only was the team winning, they were playing an entertaining brand of hockey. I could be totally out in left field but it makes me wonder if hockey viewers are less likely to participate in whatever method is used to determine ratings.

I've caught some of the Rockets/Timberwolves series and Minnesota is pretty rabid about the Timberwolves right now. Great crowds at the games, and perhaps the market is tiring of the Wild treading water.

I watch the Stars a lot, but how does one account for an 88% increase? That's another where I have to wonder how these ratings are determined. The Stars were in a playoff spot most of the season, but they weren't nearly as entertaining under Hitchcock. Not to mention their television presentation obviously wasn't as strong without the irreplaceable Dave Strader.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
2% is a probably from all the power outages this year. 2% is someone taking some water from the bucket with an eye dropper. Won’t stop me from watching.

Celtics should be more concerned with such highs and lows

NBC took 12 games away from NESN this year and many were with high profile opponents.

The Bruins households reached number is second to Chicago and that doesn't include people watching in the Providence market.

Ratings in a given market can be misleading

1.0 in Boston means 24,254 homes
1.0 in Buffalo means 5,927 homes
1.0 in New York City means 70,747 homes

The NHL has had very little turnover with their main sponsors. Discover Card is a major sponsor and you have to have good credit to get a card from them and the NHL apparently is a good fit for them.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
To be honest with the new schedule that includes two snooze fests against the western conference makes me watch less games. Also the lack of emotion in the majority of the games compared to a few years ago makes me tune out a lot of the regular season.

This sport is so far removed from 2011 it's scary.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Kyrie Irving and a 16 game winning streak at the start of the season probably bled 2% off the Bruins during their slow start.

Reactions: Dellstrom

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I think a couple things factor in here:

1. Celtics getting Kyrie/Hayward + 16 game win streak early in the season certainly created a buzz around the team right out of the gate. A casual fan can identify NBA stars far easier than hockey.
2. Cord cutting/streams

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I use YouTube TV now and have sold most of my family and friends on it.

Samsung TVs come with a built in app, no need for a chromecast.

The Bruins ratings will go up based on this year's regular season, but it is sad to see this puts Bruins at #4 again.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Season was halfway over before people accepted this was a good team. I'm sure the ratings were good for games like Tampa at the end of the year.

I also think its easier to cord cut and find NESN on the other legal streaming services than it is to do that and get CSNNE.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
It’s very easy, the Red Sox take all the Bruins air time. Even in between period they still mention the Sox. Nesn is totally hot garbage. They are totally a Red Sox money machine. I can’t believe Jacobs is too dumb to realize this. Even the shows for the Bruins isn’t produced by NESN. The Bruins can put the blame on Henry and that schmuck in charge of media, Werner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad