Salary Cap: Bruins ranked positively in Athletic rankings (James Mirtle)

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Mirtle: Ranking every NHL team’s salary cap situation,...

From a Chiarelli weakness to a Sweeney strength?

"9. Boston Bruins
2020-21 salaries: $59.7 million
RFAs estimate: $10 million

Dead money deals: David Backes retention ($1.5 million)
Notable unsigned UFAs: Zdeno Chara, Torey Krug, Jaroslav Halak, Joakim Nordstrom

Projected cap space: $11.8 million

You can honestly argue the Bruins have the best cap management in the league right now, with few misses and a lot of hits.

They’re a contending team. They have most of their core locked in at a reasonable price. And, as noted above, they have enough cash left over to do something of note this offseason.

Now, “something” might in large part mean bringing back Chara and Krug. But I’ve been generous with the RFA allocations here, and the Bruins brass could likely free up even more space there. Perhaps enough to add one more impact player to an already strong lineup.

It doesn’t feel like the Bruins are going anywhere until Patrice Bergeron’s age catches up with him. But the final year of David Krejci and Tuukka Rask’s contracts in 2020-21 may mark a last stand of sorts for the group that won it all back in 2011.

We’re all getting old, aren’t we?"

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Mirtle: Ranking every NHL team’s salary cap situation,...

From a Chiarelli weakness to a Sweeney strength?

"9. Boston Bruins
2020-21 salaries: $59.7 million
RFAs estimate: $10 million

Dead money deals: David Backes retention ($1.5 million)
Notable unsigned UFAs: Zdeno Chara, Torey Krug, Jaroslav Halak, Joakim Nordstrom

Projected cap space: $11.8 million

You can honestly argue the Bruins have the best cap management in the league right now, with few misses and a lot of hits.

They’re a contending team. They have most of their core locked in at a reasonable price. And, as noted above, they have enough cash left over to do something of note this offseason.

Now, “something” might in large part mean bringing back Chara and Krug. But I’ve been generous with the RFA allocations here, and the Bruins brass could likely free up even more space there. Perhaps enough to add one more impact player to an already strong lineup.

It doesn’t feel like the Bruins are going anywhere until Patrice Bergeron’s age catches up with him. But the final year of David Krejci and Tuukka Rask’s contracts in 2020-21 may mark a last stand of sorts for the group that won it all back in 2011.

We’re all getting old, aren’t we?"

Thanks for sharing unfortunately I can't read the - where did the leafs rank?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Cap will be tough for many teams... but weve been doing good at it for years now

Still wish we were slightly better... but its hard to find teams that were any better

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Gah

I hate that we probably won’t get playoffs this year. Hate it

If it was 2012-2018 I wouldn’t care as much. But the timing of it is really piss poor
We will get playoffs no matter what, they just might start as late as September. The big question is will they all have the same chemistry and skill coming out of an extended break as they did before?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
28th.

Tampa was 31st.

Tampa are certainly heading towards a world of bother with their cap, especially with Vasilevskiy’s $6 mil pay rise imminent. But it has to be said that they managed to put together an impressively strong team over a number of years. People have rightly questioned their roster’s playoff abilities, but I think it’s fair to recall that twice they’ve been 3-2 up in ECFs (in 2016 & 2018) only to blow it, and they pushed Chicago to 6 in the 2015 SCFs. They had their chances, and still have maybe a couple left. Of course if they don’t manage to finally land a Cup then the whole era has been a massive waste, and they’ll probably suffer for it for years with no past glory to hold on to. But such are the fine margins in this sport – you can do a lot right but if it doesn’t all quite come together when you really need it to, you get nothing.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Sadly bruins are now being dinged with a 1.9 mill overage penalty for next year

I know evan gold is supposedly a genius and i know i was told many times there would be no overage penalty

But...

We are still in pretty good shape compared to most teams (better shape if rask retires or is traded for a cheaper starter) but losing 1.9 mill from the cap might be the death blow as far as bringing krug back

Anyhow... people tell me i spend too much time talking cap. It actually is something that matters. And overage penalties are a reality

This year 13 teams will be penalitized

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Sadly bruins are now being dinged with a 1.9 mill overage penalty for next year

I know evan gold is supposedly a genius and i know i was told many times there would be no overage penalty

But...

We are still in pretty good shape compared to most teams (better shape if rask retires or is traded for a cheaper starter) but losing 1.9 mill from the cap might be the death blow as far as bringing krug back

Anyhow... people tell me i spend too much time talking cap. It actually is something that matters. And overage penalties are a reality

This year 13 teams will be penalitized

They can split it over two years. They should

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad