Post-Game Talk: Bruins rake the leafs 3-1!

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Hmmmmm

I didn't go to Seguins return game because the booing would bother me. (I was gonna grab some cheap ones right before faceoff off the hub but knowing he'd be booed kept me home I hate that stuff if its a former player who worked hard and put in a honest shift for us but I am not sure Seguin was that.) And I was upset when the Seguin trade was announced that the organization and media went to such lengths to bash him. I honestly was really upset at first when he was booed.

Then I thought about how Kessel was treated and realized Seguin deserved it way more. Seguin seriously thought he was the king of Boston, walked on water, could party and not work at hockey, and was Gods gift to women. And he cost us a Cup. Remember Phil was battling cancer at the same stage of his career.

Sorry though not going to lie I know he wasn't awful but the only part of Seggys tenure in Boston I honestly appreciate is G2 against Tampa. The rest of the time he was nothing special, even the 2011/2012 regular season.

I don't think Tyler deserves much love from Bruins fans. DOn't think he deserves to get booed but I would applaud Peverley before him.

I will gladly credit Seguin for not slamming the organization and taking the high road though. We certainly have not returned the favor and done the same for him. But I think the guy still wants to be thought of as a Boston legend and still thinks of himself as one because he was along for the ride in 2011.
After his play in last year's playoffs, I wasn't sad to see him go but he did play well in the 2011-2012 regular season, he regressed after that but there was a stretch where he was living up to the expectations we had.I agree he forever tarnished his reputation with his play and antics in last year's playoffs but it isn't quite accurate to suggest he was a total bust.

NORY

Jul 23, 2011
Oakville, Ont
It was nice to see our up and coming number one pairing out there together in Krug and Hamilton, got to get them reps in now to carry us in the future. Gave me chills thinking about how good they "could be". With every game I get more and more confident in Hamilton's all around play and Krug's offensive ability. Also glad to see Julien doesn't put a tight leash on them.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Hamilton was very good tonight, Krug is a pure rover...but rarely gets caught out of position.

OT: Karlsson got benched for the second half of the first period Saturday afternoon because Paul MacLean said he wasn't sure if he was playing for the Senators or against them.

NORY

Jul 23, 2011
Oakville, Ont
Hamilton was very good tonight, Krug is a pure rover...but rarely gets caught out of position.

OT: Karlsson got benched for the second half of the first period Saturday afternoon because Paul MacLean said he wasn't sure if he was playing for the Senators or against them.

i think a lot of credit for that has to do with our forwards willingness and ability to cover for the point man.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I can't say how much Dougie impressed. Kid played almost 25 minutes and made few errors. He is getting much better on the defensive end of the ice and making fewer mistakes-he and Chara had that awful shift in the second when they got pinned in their own end (mostly because the forwards couldn't get the puck past the blue line or neutral zone. Neither D-man gave up even though their legs looked like jelly.

My only real nitpick is how many times the Bruins let themselves get stuck in their own end-they need to work on the break out.

Tuukka was amazing, KIL line is excellent, love the Kelly line with Yeti and Smith and it was nice to see Begy's line show up.

Very physical game and I loved how both teams clearly wanted this win.

And while Kessel wasn't a great fit here, I think he is hitting his peak years and playing very well-his speed still surprises me sometimes even though I know he is fast.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
What a game! The Bruins should have put this away in the first. I've never seen a unit (Hamilton-Chara, Lucic-Krejci-Iginla) keep the other team pinned in their own zone for over two minutes....It looked like a Power play. Never a fan of Iginla Before, I love him as a Bruin, he does Everything well and seems to be in super shape. Think about playing a seven game series against our first line every second night.
Seems to happen too many times that we have trouble with putting the puck in the net.
The cool calm Bergeron scores simple ugly goals, but they count too. I was very impressed with Hamilton, who might have played his best game as a Bruin, he was second to Chara in minutes played and was fantastic at both ends, even when he and Chara was dead tired. He's going to be a great player this and for many years.

Reilly Smith was great, very clever guy, Marchand is coming along fast now. Even Soderberg was good but inconsistent. he's playing much more aggressive than I thought he would. But, he want to succeed. Loui is a very good and smart player and he will show that to a much more extent when playing more games after the concussion. I didn't know Kelly was such a finesse player, but, he's been awesome so far. Campbell and Paille are top guys on PK and real teamplayers. Campbell's willing to go through a wall for the Bruins and Paille showed he can hit and take a hit as well as showing his speed. Chara was charged and was leading the five man defensive unit excellent. Tuukka is always the best so you come to expect him to keep the Bruins in every game. I though McQuaid did very well against McLaren. Sorry to see him go down later and wonder what happened.
I agree that Phil Kessell's become a great player, but I like Lupul even more and I don't think Kessell would have been allowed to play that way in Boston for Julien. I was impressed by the Leafs in the spring and they are a good fast tough team with two great goalies.
Having said that in all fairness, I don't Think they could beat the Bruins in a seven game series. But it was one heck of a game.
Doug Hamilton was one of the stars in this one. There were many to choose from...

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I can't say how much Dougie impressed. Kid played almost 25 minutes and made few errors. He is getting much better on the defensive end of the ice and making fewer mistakes-he and Chara had that awful shift in the second when they got pinned in their own end (mostly because the forwards couldn't get the puck past the blue line or neutral zone. Neither D-man gave up even though their legs looked like jelly.

My only real nitpick is how many times the Bruins let themselves get stuck in their own end-they need to work on the break out.

Tuukka was amazing, KIL line is excellent, love the Kelly line with Yeti and Smith and it was nice to see Begy's line show up.

Very physical game and I loved how both teams clearly wanted this win.

And while Kessel wasn't a great fit here, I think he is hitting his peak years and playing very well-his speed still surprises me sometimes even though I know he is fast.

And he will get better and better. D-man are 3-5 years project. That's why there's some GM who doesn't like to draft them in the first round and who prefer to pay a premium to acquire one. Bruins are in a position to be patient...

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Ok someone get me some gifs or video of all these "blatant" headshots that our players took on the leafs, apparently most in the 3rd period. I thought I watched the game but apparently I missed a whole hell of a lot. I would think it would have been the Krejci hit that they'd be complaining about over on the leaf's board, but no, they're all fired up over how many high sticks and head shots Chara got away with. I think I must have watched a different game.

HockeyMomx2

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
And he will get better and better. D-man are 3-5 years project. That's why there's some GM who doesn't like to draft them in the first round and who prefer to pay a premium to acquire one. Bruins are in a position to be patient...

I think he took a big step in his development in last nights game. Had a few "big boy shifts" where he and Chara were out there for an extended period of time and although they couldn't break out of the D zone to save their lives, they kept their mistakes minimum enough to not be the cause of any scoring chances. I expect that from Chara, was impressed with that from Hamilton. The boy is learning his lessons well.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
pretty pleased. held my breath the 2nd period. Breakout was particularly bad that period. Lots of neutral zone turnovers - they could stand up more and not let players in as easily when carrying pucks and force the other teams to dump it in. I think we are decent at winning the board battles... but if you can't get the puck out of your zone...

remer

Oct 18, 2005
I think I heard about every player having a good game except for Thornton. How was his game?

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Had to be Iginla's best game as a Bruin. The almost 2 minute long shift in the offensive zone he was flying while almost everyone else's legs were complete jelly.. it was insane. That line in general is so ****ing good. They've had a bit of trouble putting it in the net lately but if they keep playing like they played last night, they'll blow out teams single handedly.

Dougie was awesome and he's finally using his size to his advantage defensively. Several times he actually defended how Chara defends; in which he shows an opening and then uses his large wingspan to poke and steal the puck away. Having two defenseman that can do that is crazy, haha

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Ok someone get me some gifs or video of all these "blatant" headshots that our players took on the leafs, apparently most in the 3rd period. I thought I watched the game but apparently I missed a whole hell of a lot. I would think it would have been the Krejci hit that they'd be complaining about over on the leaf's board, but no, they're all fired up over how many high sticks and head shots Chara got away with. I think I must have watched a different game.

The only one I particulaly remember wasn't really a head shot by a Bruin-Boychuck was heading towards the puck, corralled it and quickly pivoted towards the offensive end to move they puck out of out zone. As he was doing this a Leaf (don't remember who) was coming in on Boychuk-as Boychuk was turning-he skate either into the butt end of Boychuks stick or his elbow.

I think Kadri got hit by Boychuk at the blue line with his head down-Boychuk stood him up and Kadri left the game but returned. The hit looked like a legal open ice hit-front to front-a typical stand they guy up hit-Kadri just didn't see it coming.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Solid 1st and 3rd, Leaf pushback in the second. I know we all yakk about a full 60 minute effort and although I think the boys can still be more consistent, I wonder, over the course of a full season, what the average amount of games are in which the stronger teams coaches would say their team played a full 60??

I`ll bet, in an 80+ game schedule, a full 60 happens a dozen times...hmm, sounds like a thread to start:)

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Seidenberg played the best game I've seen him play since the Vancouver series. He was pinching at the right time and making the smart play down the boards. Solid in his own end.

HockeyMomx2

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The only one I particulaly remember wasn't really a head shot by a Bruin-Boychuck was heading towards the puck, corralled it and quickly pivoted towards the offensive end to move they puck out of out zone. As he was doing this a Leaf (don't remember who) was coming in on Boychuk-as Boychuk was turning-he skate either into the butt end of Boychuks stick or his elbow.

I think Kadri got hit by Boychuk at the blue line with his head down-Boychuk stood him up and Kadri left the game but returned. The hit looked like a legal open ice hit-front to front-a typical stand they guy up hit-Kadri just didn't see it coming.

Pretty much what I recall too. According to the Leafs board though Chara should have a season long ban coming his way for all the infractions that could have decapitated their players. :shakehead They are getting more and more like the Habs fans. Or is it that some Habs fans are turning to the Leafs because they have the better team right now?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Pretty much what I recall too. According to the Leafs board though Chara should have a season long ban coming his way for all the infractions that could have decapitated their players. :shakehead They are getting more and more like the Habs fans. Or is it that some Habs fans are turning to the Leafs because they have the better team right now?

NOBODY is close to Habs fans with all due respect;)

HockeyMomx2

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
Honestly fourth line wasn't particularly a liability but they weren't much of an asset.

Love Thornton but he is slowing down.

With that said though, that's their job. We've been spoiled by a 4th line that wasn't just not a liability, but was also productive for a few years. They're all getting older. Especially Thornton who is the fire plug that gets that line going. Their job is to give lines 1-3 a break in games that have few whistles and not cost the team a goal while on the ice. If they're doing that, than they're fine, in my opinion, especially in regular season.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Kelly line had it's best game of the season. They looked great. Iginla was on a mission too.

Solid team win. I prefer to forget the second period

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Kelly line had it's best game of the season. They looked great. Iginla was on a mission too.

Solid team win. I prefer to forget the second period

Push back was strong from the Leafs, some here still can`t accept this isn`t the same creampuffs we beat up on for a few years there

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Push back was strong from the Leafs, some here still can`t accept this isn`t the same creampuffs we beat up on for a few years there

I think teams with speed have worked out a formula to take advantage of the Bruins.

2nd period last night isn't the only game where the Bruins have gotten pinned in their own end. Bruins were just lucky they weathered that onslaught and had Tuukka in net-he made some timely saves.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
My concern about the ebb and flow of last night's game is as always: B's have very little counterpunch when it comes to teams throwing the kitchen sink at them.

And I'm not talking about "wrestling the momentum back" from the other team. Most teams including the Bruins do that whether of their own accord or the other team simply not being able to sustain their onslaught.

My concern is that we don't spring players behind pinching Dmen. Teams like Toronto last night have little fear taking chances for extended periods of time. With the Leafs pinching that often it would normally result in some odd man rushes the other way. Or ideally a stretch pass for a breakaway.

We never seem to get the insurance goal we need in this fashion. I know it's a speed problem, which is the largest factor. We just don't have the team wide speed to make it a threat, and have only gotten slower with the departure of Pevs and Tyler. This particular strategy probably only losses us a couple of games a year. That insurance goal isn't often scored in this fashion as teams usually have a safety valve in place to some extent. But it does make the going a little tougher in wins. We were only up by two last night with an open net goal. Teams that are able to sniff around for wins late into games make us work harder for those wins.

I know it's not "our way" for reasons stated above and others. So I guess you take all the good with just a little bad as many great teams have had that "bend but don't break" more conservative play, that propels them deep in the POs.

Other than that an improved performance overall by everyone. I like that fact that we beat what can only been seen now as a damn good team. Toronto is here to stay for the foreseeable future and I love that. They need to be good and should be good. I hate seeing any original 6 do poorly for an extended period of time (even the Habs). It just doesn't sit well with me, as a life long (50 years) fan of the league.

I've become a bit spoiled from last year's run as this team seems to be able to "flick a switch" when need be. Iggy didn't come to us last year because lets face, going into the POs we were playing horribly. A game like last night's gives me less concern about the regular season's shallow points. The traditional concern about consistency doesn't seem to bother me as much when I see this team rise to the occasion when need be. It's a long season and I'm liking the upgrades (Smith, Krug, and Soderberg and some extent Louie) as they seem to be more creative. I think this is a better team (no offense to Pevs and Tyler). The early showing of Spoons, and even Caron starting to "get it" make me think the depth is there too.

Dougie who I saw as a more talented version of Hal Gill is anything but that. Considering his age and what he's been doing by, pinching and going "down low", joining the rushes, and positioning himself to get pucks at the net is very very encouraging.

I hope Mac is O.K. I don't like losing any grit (selfish of me I just enjoy that type of game). He's one of my favorites. For every one Tyler Seguin or Marc Savard I've watched over the years there's been 3 different type(s) players I've like watching more. The Rob Dimaios, McQuades, L.B's, Dave Poulin, P.J, Dave Reed etc etc, are the players that keep me engaged.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad