Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XV - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Bruins prospect Mason Lohrei is on pace for NHL impact: 'I didn't know he was going to become special'

Some blurbs from the Flute Man's article in the Athletic on Lohrei for those of you who don't subscribe, appears to be some reason for excitement here hopefully:

"His stay with the Buckeyes may not last long. It is a nice timeline for the Bruins’ 2020 second-round selection. Lohrei is arguably the organization’s brightest amateur prospect.

“I knew he was going to be good. I didn’t know he was going to become special,” Mikesch said. “That’s what he’s kind of become now. He’s just a different defenseman than you get to see very often these days with his size, skating and offensive instincts.”

It was around February or March 2020 when the gangly Lohrei’s parts started to align more neatly. He wasn’t repeating mistakes. Pucks stuck to his stick instead of bobbling onto opponents’ blades. Lohrei became an offensive play-driver while defending against top players.

“That’s where I give the Boston Bruins’ scouting staff huge credit,” Mikesch said. “Our season, all of a sudden, gets stopped because of COVID. But they had seen enough of that transition already that they were like, ‘There’s something big-time going on here.’ ”

From what Mikesch could gather, the Bruins and Kings were hottest for Lohrei in the 2020 draft. Boston’s first pick was in the second round as the club had wheeled its first-rounder to Anaheim in the Ondrej Kase trade.

“No offense to the NHL Network people that were covering it, but they had no idea who Mason Lohrei was,” Mikesch said. “It was hysterical. We were laughing, because we were like, ‘They have no idea.’ But they wouldn’t have known. Because he didn’t get to go on a great playoff run with us or do something special like he would have done had we finished out that season. Here’s this unknown kid. ‘What is Boston doing?’ Well, Boston did a great job, along with a couple other teams, that really thought that highly of him.”

“I’m not going to even pretend I saw Mason, in the two years we had him, going as far as he did,” Mikesch said. “He went from being a pro prospect to a future NHLer. It changed that much.”"

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Great feedback. So 4 players are definitive yesses, 2 are potential as they will continue to develop, while 4 are flat out No - assuming that in your opinion those 4 players while not develop beyond where they are now - and what I would consider to be busts. Yes?

I would only call Vaak a "bust" the others, who were drafted much later, or undrafted, I would just say did not pan out.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bruins prospect Mason Lohrei is on pace for NHL impact: 'I didn't know he was going to become special'

Some blurbs from the Flute Man's article in the Athletic on Lohrei for those of you who don't subscribe, appears to be some reason for excitement here hopefully:

"His stay with the Buckeyes may not last long. It is a nice timeline for the Bruins’ 2020 second-round selection. Lohrei is arguably the organization’s brightest amateur prospect.

“I knew he was going to be good. I didn’t know he was going to become special,” Mikesch said. “That’s what he’s kind of become now. He’s just a different defenseman than you get to see very often these days with his size, skating and offensive instincts.”

It was around February or March 2020 when the gangly Lohrei’s parts started to align more neatly. He wasn’t repeating mistakes. Pucks stuck to his stick instead of bobbling onto opponents’ blades. Lohrei became an offensive play-driver while defending against top players.

“That’s where I give the Boston Bruins’ scouting staff huge credit,” Mikesch said. “Our season, all of a sudden, gets stopped because of COVID. But they had seen enough of that transition already that they were like, ‘There’s something big-time going on here.’ ”

From what Mikesch could gather, the Bruins and Kings were hottest for Lohrei in the 2020 draft. Boston’s first pick was in the second round as the club had wheeled its first-rounder to Anaheim in the Ondrej Kase trade.

“No offense to the NHL Network people that were covering it, but they had no idea who Mason Lohrei was,” Mikesch said. “It was hysterical. We were laughing, because we were like, ‘They have no idea.’ But they wouldn’t have known. Because he didn’t get to go on a great playoff run with us or do something special like he would have done had we finished out that season. Here’s this unknown kid. ‘What is Boston doing?’ Well, Boston did a great job, along with a couple other teams, that really thought that highly of him.”

“I’m not going to even pretend I saw Mason, in the two years we had him, going as far as he did,” Mikesch said. “He went from being a pro prospect to a future NHLer. It changed that much.”"

Smartest in the room Bruins.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Lysell - 2023-24
Lohrei - 2022-23
Studnicka- ready
Beecher 2022-23
Lauko 2022-23
Vaakanainen- ready
Ahcan - call up
Harrison- 2023-24
Hall 2022-23
Keyser 2022-23

Lauko should get a look with the B's this year, assuming we have injuries up front and how he peforms in camp.
Hopefully he is 10 pounds heavier to withstand the rigors of NHL play.
Ahcan is still a wildcard in my opinion. He was over matched at the NHL level with puck battles and his skating is average at best.
Vaak and JZ are ahead of him as a call ups and perhaps Lyle may inch above him this year on the depth chart.
I am expecting Beecher and Harrison to put up nice numbers this year.
Lysell could be closer than we think to making the team. I expect him to get a sniff next year.

Reactions: PepeBostones

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020

I love this article! Kid is going to be a stud and I hope he’s in a B’s uniform after 1 season at OSU. Dominated USHL and if he can do the same against grown college men then he solidifies himself as the real deal! Time will tell but a lot of excitement with this prospect.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
So did we sign Keith Petruzzelli or is he just attending development camp?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Lauko should get a look with the B's this year, assuming we have injuries up front and how he peforms in camp.
Hopefully he is 10 pounds heavier to withstand the rigors of NHL play.
Ahcan is still a wildcard in my opinion. He was over matched at the NHL level with puck battles and his skating is average at best.
Vaak and JZ are ahead of him as a call ups and perhaps Lyle may inch above him this year on the depth chart.
I am expecting Beecher and Harrison to put up nice numbers this year.
Lysell could be closer than we think to making the team. I expect him to get a sniff next year.
first Debrusk healthy scratch we see the kid:thumbu:

Reactions: Bodit9

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
With them signing Booth doesn’t that mean they won’t sign pettruzzi

As of now that makes Keyser and Booth under contract for PBruins, right? They also have the ECHL affiliation where it is common to send goalies, so I wouldn't rule it out. Last season it was Swayman, Vladar, Keyser, and Booth was signed at some point as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad