Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XI - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I will say, there are a decent amount of later picks on this list. No one saw Batherson coming so you can’t fault that but for example Kaliyev was right under everyone’s nose. Seems like we’ve had one of those with our last 3 1sts. (Thomas/Vaak, DeBrincat/Frederic, Kaliyev/Beecher)

Wheeler did have Swaydaddy as his #9 goalie so we at least have that

Kaliyev can't skate like Thomas or DeBrincat can.
He is more one dimensional than they are.
I don't see there ever being much separation between
he and Beecher due to Kaliyev's lack of skating
and Beecher's size, speed and physicality.
Beecher already has NHL size and speed.

member 96824

Kaliyev can't skate like Thomas or DeBrincat can.
He is more one dimensional than they are.
I don't see there ever being much separation between
he and Beecher due to Kaliyev's lack of skating
and Beecher's size, speed and physicality.
Beecher already has NHL size and speed.

That's fine, all players have different toolsets and different ways they find success.

I'm just speaking to these types of prospect lists. The one in discussion now has Kaliyev at 8 and Beecher unranked.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Both Pronman and Wheeler focus more on skill and scoring, which is fine because that's the easiest part to scout (or simply read a box score) , but you then have to consider that bias when reading their work. Most rankers focus mostly on the idea of which player is more conventionally talented. Not much thought is put towards scheme fit or the other ways a player can help you win (i.e. defense). The Sweeney management group has shown in their 5 drafts that they have a type when it comes to forwards and defensemen, and that type does not match with many media scouts. We can complain about what that type is, but there's nothing else we can do than hope that they're right.

Pronman didn't even have Lauzon in the Bruins top-20 this year. That tells you everything you need to know.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
With that shot, man it's hard to imagine anything but success. Stick him in the Pasta spot on the PP and he'll net 20 alone. Skating definitely needs work and I can't pretend I've been at home watching Hamilton Bulldogs games but from what I saw it didn't really seem to take the next step but his smarts did.

He'll fit well with any of the bazillion centers with elite upside potential that LA has coming up.
Be tough to net 20 on his backhand no?

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020
Kaliyev - high end shot and scoring touch. In order for him to produce at the NHL level he’ll need to play top 2 lines minutes and at least 2nd line PP.

Beecher on the other hand has a lot of versatility through the line-up. I could see him as high as a 2nd line producing F or a 3rd/4th line energy guy with PK responsibility. Feel like he’s a player that can offer so much through a line-up. Kaliyev wouldn’t be effective as an “energy” guy and won’t be blocking shots on the PK.

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The “bottom-four” is such a weird, pessimistic term for me. It’s like they’re praising the prospect, but bashing him at the same time by trying to glorify the “bottom” element. There’s an uneven amount of lines on defense, so “bottom-four” is weird anyways— it’s 66% of the pairs.

I’m not even as high on Urho as others are, but he’s definitely a top-four capable defender in my eyes if he hits his mark. I mean, his skating and mobility alone brings him into second-pair territory.

I don’t know, the whole thing just read like it was a chore to say nice things about Boston prospects. Like, Vaakanainen has been pretty much regarded around the league, writers and fans as a top-four or even top-pair caliber compliment, but here he’s a “bottom-four” guy? Just weird.
Yeah I would rather Bruins prospects get under-rated. IMO it'll light and keep a fire lit under them. It's a great way to have a player sit up and take notice. I can't remember what they said about Bergeron back when, but I'm sure they opinion makers around the hockey were not raving about him (or Marchand for that matter). Let 'em dump on our kids, it'll be sweeter when they're proven wrong!

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020
Any thoughts on recent Ivy League hockey announcement with hockey done until at least Jan? Have to think it’s then only time for the other conferences to follow suit. To that end, if no hockey until maybe Jan I wonder how many players will jump ship - I.e sign pro, shift to major junior or revert back to USHL (if age eligible). Curious on your thoughts - Boston prospects or anyone else. If this happens my thought is the first to sign pro or go major junior is Caufield and then a guy like Newhook. Beecher - slide over to OHL? Will be very interesting...

member 96824

Kaliyev - high end shot and scoring touch. In order for him to produce at the NHL level he’ll need to play top 2 lines minutes and at least 2nd line PP.

Beecher on the other hand has a lot of versatility through the line-up. I could see him as high as a 2nd line producing F or a 3rd/4th line energy guy with PK responsibility. Feel like he’s a player that can offer so much through a line-up. Kaliyev wouldn’t be effective as an “energy” guy and won’t be blocking shots on the PK.

Totally. Just different flavors for different folks.

If you look back at the Vancouver board in 2014-15 you can find similar posts surrounding Jared McCann and David Pastrnak. Doesn't make Jared McCann any better or worse of a player as an individual player...just that the risk we took on Pastrnak worked out much better because of the higher ceiling.

On the flip side, there are plenty of examples where that doesn't work out and the lower ceiling was the right way to go because of the factors you're mentioning.

Only time will tell with Beecher/Kaliyev of course but if you're going to compare the two side by side D+1, the edge definitely goes to Kaliyev

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Any thoughts on recent Ivy League hockey announcement with hockey done until at least Jan? Have to think it’s then only time for the other conferences to follow suit. To that end, if no hockey until maybe Jan I wonder how many players will jump ship - I.e sign pro, shift to major junior or revert back to USHL (if age eligible). Curious on your thoughts - Boston prospects or anyone else. If this happens my thought is the first to sign pro or go major junior is Caufield and then a guy like Newhook. Beecher - slide over to OHL? Will be very interesting...

No way there's going to be a junior season this year either. The 2021 draft is going to be insane. It will be really valuable to get mid-round picks because it's a total crapshoot and the more bullets you have, the better chance at a true steal.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
What do you think the chances are of Boston signing Robert Lantosi before next season?

He has 31 points (10+21) and a +10 rating in 47 games with Providence so far this season. Great speed and good hands.

Is only on an AHL contract currently.

I was just looking through Providence's scoring leaders to check which free agents might be available and came across this player playing on an AHL contract. Was wondering the same thing.

Is he someone the Bruins sign to an NHL deal once the season ends? If not, could he be signed elsewhere?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I don't think there is any planet where the depth player can be looked at glass half full enough to compare to a projected top 6 forward.

The one flaw to our forward drafting is they want the safe bet rather than the one who can fill the gaping hole on 2nd line wing. At least it appears that way, aside from Pastrnak.

Reactions: Lo97

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I was just looking through Providence's scoring leaders to check which free agents might be available and came across this player playing on an AHL contract. Was wondering the same thing.

Is he someone the Bruins sign to an NHL deal once the season ends? If not, could he be signed elsewhere?
I would think he'd be offered a 2 way contract for next season, he kept his end of the bargain
They already lost the Russian D man they had stashed in Atlanta to the KHL,would hate to see them lose Lantosi,Conway or Marchin
However... if the NCAA keeps pushing back the start of a new season you might see a few more of our College based prospects opt out sooner than expected

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I would think he'd be offered a 2 way contract for next season, he kept his end of the bargain
They already lost the Russian D man they had stashed in Atlanta to the KHL,would hate to see them lose Lantosi,Conway or Marchin
However... if the NCAA keeps pushing back the start of a new season you might see a few more of our College based prospects opt out sooner than expected

Be interesting to see how that could factor into FA period and the contract spots. I think they are currently sitting at 33 and quickly looking I count roughly 10 guys that should be signed (not including Krug), so that'll give Boston 7 contract spots open. Wonder if it could play into the draft as well.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

Maybe Curtis Hall might make a decision.

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020
Just saw that Jack Rathbone - Harvard signed after his sophomore season. Not sure how much of this is based on pandemic impacts seeing that Harvard won’t have hockey in the fall, but could absolutely start seeing an exodus of Ivy League drafted players leaving. Who’s next? Drury?

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

Can’t imagine why the other leagues would follow their lead. Most of the western states have few - if any - wuhan virus cases. Why would leagues like the NCHA or WCHA shut down their seasons?

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020
Looks like I was right! Drury leaves Harvard to sign with Vaxjo in SHL. Not sure if he actually signed with Carolina and they are loaning him or whether he passed on signing with Carolina so he doesn’t burn a year of his ELC. Who’s next? Beecher???

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Looks like I was right! Drury leaves Harvard to sign with Vaxjo in SHL. Not sure if he actually signed with Carolina and they are loaning him or whether he passed on signing with Carolina so he doesn’t burn a year of his ELC. Who’s next? Beecher???
If I was advising Beecher I would steer him to the OHL,Michigan isn't a good fit and I don't trust the NCAA
I don't recognize myself anymore...

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
With Tuukka and Jaro getting older, Vladar still stuck in the minors, and Swayman still being an unknown commodity I wonder if the Bruins go goalie in this upcoming draft. It feels like that has become a position of need since there is no immediate heir apparent. Which is disconcerting the Bruins seem to have the weirdest luck with goalies. They can evaluate them well enough, sign them, and trade for them easily but they can't seem to draft one. Last goalie they picked that played any sort of starting role that showed promise was Raycroft until he fell off a cliff. Other than that it has been miss after miss after miss. Malcolm Subban, Hannu Toivonen, Zane McIntyre, Michael Hutchinson, Paxton Schafer, John Grahame, and the list goes on and on. It's kind of a head scratcher to be honest. Especially when the Bruins were confident enough to move assets to get Tuukka Rask from Toronto in that steal of a trade as well as saw enough in Tim Thomas to give him another crack at the big time that ended up seeing the Bruins hitting the jackpot of jackpots. And yet finding a goalie in the draft is like finding a needle in a haystack. I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad