Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects X - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm not sure I'd say that their focus is on drafting depth. I think they just have a certain type, both at forward and defense, that's become obvious during Sweeney's tenure. I think the problem is that they value certain types of players differently from the rest of the league, and that becomes an issue when you are trying to negotiate a trade. If the other team doesn't like what you're selling, then you either have to "overpay" or a deal's not going to be made.

Of their young players outside of the NHL, none of them have the high end skill/potential that would end up on one of these top ___ lists. My concern with the way they do things is that you'd think they'd be drafting a "safer" player, but that's not the case. They end up taking the same risk, but with a lower potential reward.

Well said.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
He isn't wrong this time. The Bruins love drafting depth in recent years.

I think he's wrong. Those rankings are all about flashy numbers and high profiles. Krug is one of the best offensive defensemen in the game, was he ever a top10 prospect? Carlo and DeBrusk were not highly touted prospects and they're core pieces. Gryz is quickly becoming a core piece and he wasn't on their radar.

On top of that, I think the Bruins place a premium on two-way play and teaching the game in Providence, they seem to value that over stats. They put a lot of their best prospects in defensive roles until they learn the two-way game (Senyshyn), or they put them on lines where they're forced to be the play driver and not ride the coattails of their linemates (Frederic), rather than put them with elite linemates to pad their stat line and hide/ignore their flaws.

They seem to very rarely drop a rookie onto a line with their best offensive players. Studnicka seems to be the exception, seeing time with Bjork, Cehlarik, Carey... maybe that's because his two-way game is already very good, I don't know, but it's no surprise that he's the guy Pronman ranks the highest. Not Vaakanainen, the #1D on a WJC champion and a guy who's holding his own in the NHL at age 20, but the guy who's putting up points.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
He isn't wrong this time. The Bruins love drafting depth in recent years.
Disagree
Vaakanainen isn't depth
Neither is Beecher, Andersson, Lauko,Studnicka and Swayman
Frederic maybe but McAvoy certainly wasn't
You could argue they like drafting players that will have a longer development curve if needed over others that don't ,see 2017 draft as an example
Berglund is still in the system while Pare and Bukac are long gone,neither of the 3 were ready to take the next step into the AHL but Berglund survives because he had a place to play without costing the Bruins a contract, they got to kick the can down the road for another year and it will probably work out for him in the end.

Reactions: KiwiBruin

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

'"This is kind of my first year living on my own. Me and Cooper Zech are living together, trying to cook, put some recipes together. We’re both in the same boat, trying to put some weight on, some good weight. We’re learning how to cook and, in our down time, watching hockey, watching movies, what any normal kid does,’’ he said.'

:laugh::laugh:

aguineapig

Big Johnny Beecher 2 goals last night vs UNH. Becker had one too. Hope to see the Big 10 Bashers, Beecher and Frederic on a line someday. They'd be a handful. Maybe sign the Allstate mayhem guy to put on RW with 'em.

Reactions: TCB

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Big Johnny Beecher 2 goals last night vs UNH. Becker had one too. Hope to see the Big 10 Bashers, Beecher and Frederic on a line someday. They'd be a handful. Maybe sign the Allstate mayhem guy to put on RW with 'em.

It's a shame Michigan is so bad this year. Here are the highlights:

Reactions: PlayMakers

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins first-round draft pick John Beecher making his way in college hockey - The Boston Globe

DURHAM, N.H. — Johnny Beecher is not Patrice Bergeron.
He’s not David Krejci or Charlie Coyle or Sean Kuraly.

He’s a first-semester college player, which is easy to forget when you’re watching a combination of size (6 feet 3 inches, 209 pounds) that wouldn’t look out of place on an NHL roster, and skating ability that could quickly bring him to the areas of NHL ice where pros cash checks. Beecher gets to his spot in a hurry, with force and fluidity. At present, it is his defining quality. It was apparent Friday at New Hampshire on his first shift, when he laid a smack on an opposing defenseman who didn’t expect him to arrive so quickly, and on his second, when he caused a turnover behind the UNH net and set up a scoring chance.

“Big guys that can skate seem to find a way in this league,” said Jamie Langenbrunner, the Bruins’ director of player development.

Beecher, 18, is still finding his way at Michigan, his landing spot after going 30th overall to the Bruins in the draft last June. He is wearing the target that comes with being a first-round selection, and the Bruins, in case you haven’t heard, have a few veteran centers who may need to be replaced in the coming years.

“His compete level, that consistency, will also be a really big factor for him,” Langenbrunner said, naming his size and skating as the attributes that will likely make him an NHLer someday. “I think it’s something all young kids struggle with, is how hard they have to work all the time to be effective here. Guys take a long time to figure that out. He’s working toward that.”

“He’s been thrust into that because of his skill and talent,” said coach Mel Pearson. “You forget he’s 18, especially when he’s 6-3, 210 pounds. He’s got so much to learn still, about day to day life, and adversity, and socially, how to carry yourself. Everything. It gets fast-forwarded sometimes, but he does a good job. We’ve talked to him quite a bit about his leadership role, body language on the ice, how he handles people.”

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bruins first-round draft pick John Beecher making his way in college hockey - The Boston Globe

DURHAM, N.H. — Johnny Beecher is not Patrice Bergeron.
He’s not David Krejci or Charlie Coyle or Sean Kuraly.

He’s a first-semester college player, which is easy to forget when you’re watching a combination of size (6 feet 3 inches, 209 pounds) that wouldn’t look out of place on an NHL roster, and skating ability that could quickly bring him to the areas of NHL ice where pros cash checks. Beecher gets to his spot in a hurry, with force and fluidity. At present, it is his defining quality. It was apparent Friday at New Hampshire on his first shift, when he laid a smack on an opposing defenseman who didn’t expect him to arrive so quickly, and on his second, when he caused a turnover behind the UNH net and set up a scoring chance.

“Big guys that can skate seem to find a way in this league,” said Jamie Langenbrunner, the Bruins’ director of player development.

Beecher, 18, is still finding his way at Michigan, his landing spot after going 30th overall to the Bruins in the draft last June. He is wearing the target that comes with being a first-round selection, and the Bruins, in case you haven’t heard, have a few veteran centers who may need to be replaced in the coming years.

“His compete level, that consistency, will also be a really big factor for him,” Langenbrunner said, naming his size and skating as the attributes that will likely make him an NHLer someday. “I think it’s something all young kids struggle with, is how hard they have to work all the time to be effective here. Guys take a long time to figure that out. He’s working toward that.”

“He’s been thrust into that because of his skill and talent,” said coach Mel Pearson. “You forget he’s 18, especially when he’s 6-3, 210 pounds. He’s got so much to learn still, about day to day life, and adversity, and socially, how to carry yourself. Everything. It gets fast-forwarded sometimes, but he does a good job. We’ve talked to him quite a bit about his leadership role, body language on the ice, how he handles people.”

18 and already being spoken to about his "leadership role", impressive stuff

CLIFFY HOCKEY

Jan 27, 2008
Norton MA
Studnicka is the real deal IMO, I very rarely post on hf or social media in general these days , in year past I have let my opinion be known on a few occasions, mainly how much I disliked Matt Lashoff as a prospect, I also believed that Spooner was way better than Jared Knight etc etc . I havent liked many of our prospects recently and have been waiting for one to impress me, I want to like Bruins prospects but none have jumped out , I want to like Fredric but..meh, Bjork is looking better but I'm not sold just yet, I like Kuhlman but he has a low ceiling as a 3rd or 4th liner, JFK i'm not a big fan of at all. Studnicka in the few games I have seen him has blown me away, better skater than I anticipated, great vision, passing skills, compete level, passion , fearless! I guess i'm not going out on a limb considering he was a 2nd round pick but from what I read he was projected to go as low in as the the 6th on some sites. I assume sweeney saw some of the intangibles and took him in the 2nd, Fredric has some similar skills but looks lost out there, now he is in prov just trying to impress with big hits and fights, which I am a fan of but he lacks ''it'' imo. Hope this post isnt to long or annoying, I'm just very excited about Studnicka!! Go Bs!!

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Studnicka is the real deal IMO, I very rarely post on hf or social media in general these days , in year past I have let my opinion be known on a few occasions, mainly how much I disliked Matt Lashoff as a prospect, I also believed that Spooner was way better than Jared Knight etc etc . I havent liked many of our prospects recently and have been waiting for one to impress me, I want to like Bruins prospects but none have jumped out , I want to like Fredric but..meh, Bjork is looking better but I'm not sold just yet, I like Kuhlman but he has a low ceiling as a 3rd or 4th liner, JFK i'm not a big fan of at all. Studnicka in the few games I have seen him has blown me away, better skater than I anticipated, great vision, passing skills, compete level, passion , fearless! I guess i'm not going out on a limb considering he was a 2nd round pick but from what I read he was projected to go as low in as the the 6th on some sites. I assume sweeney saw some of the intangibles and took him in the 2nd, Fredric has some similar skills but looks lost out there, now he is in prov just trying to impress with big hits and fights, which I am a fan of but he lacks ''it'' imo. Hope this post isnt to long or annoying, I'm just very excited about Studnicka!! Go Bs!!
I have to agree on most of what you said but I think Bjork is solid and I am looking forward to when Lauko can make the jump.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site

Hopefully it isn't anything too serious...especially with the WJC less than a month away. It's particularly a bummer since Michigan's game tomorrow is going to be on TV (BTN).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad