Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
what is the rank between Vladar, Keyser, Swayman at this time?
IMO, just the way you listed them. Vladar is into his second pro season. Keyser, from all reports, is talented and should turn pro next year. Signing Swayman could complicate matters if he foregoes his final years at Maine.

With Halak on the books for another season, I see Keyser playing in Providence, or Atlanta, depending on what happens to McIntyre.

Then, in 2020-2021, Vladar and Keyser slug it out for Rask’s backup with Swayman holding the fort in Providence. Then Tuukka should be ready to retire, hopefully leaving the Boston nets in good hands.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Sellers' guide to NHL trade deadline: Which prospects are...

Pronman dogging the Bruins prospects, Studnicka as a bottom 6 forward.

"If the Bruins want to deal from their prospect pool this deadline, I don’t see them in a position of strength. It’s hard to pick out a Bruins prospect who has really helped his stock this season and NHL scouts are truly excited about. Urho Vaakanainen is a good prospect with a high hockey IQ but has been injured for a good stretch of the season. Jack Studnicka is a player whom scouts feel could be a bottom-six center. Center Trent Frederic has played well of late, including a brief NHL appearance. He also has bottom-six center potential.

Younger players like winger Jakub Lauko and defenseman Axel Andersson are intriguing, but neither is an NHL lock. The B’s could rationalize losing one of Studnicka or Frederic, as both project into similar roles, and most scouts prefer Studnicka at this point due to a higher skill level.

I’m not typically a big advocate of the ‘change of scenery’ argument, but I could see merit to a formerly highly touted player like Jakub Zboril moving on, especially given the PR nightmare that’s been the 2015 draft for the Bruins."

Reactions: Tbrady12

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

"If the Bruins want to deal from their prospect pool this deadline, I don’t see them in a position of strength. It’s hard to pick out a Bruins prospect who has really helped his stock this season and NHL scouts are truly excited about. Urho Vaakanainen is a good prospect with a high hockey IQ but has been injured for a good stretch of the season. Jack Studnicka is a player whom scouts feel could be a bottom-six center. Center Trent Frederic has played well of late, including a brief NHL appearance. He also has bottom-six center potential.

Younger players like winger Jakub Lauko and defenseman Axel Andersson are intriguing, but neither is an NHL lock. The B’s could rationalize losing one of Studnicka or Frederic, as both project into similar roles, and most scouts prefer Studnicka at this point due to a higher skill level.

I’m not typically a big advocate of the ‘change of scenery’ argument, but I could see merit to a formerly highly touted player like Jakub Zboril moving on, especially given the PR nightmare that’s been the 2015 draft for the Bruins."

Pretty accurate assessment...

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
With Halak on the books for another season, I see Keyser playing in Providence, or Atlanta, depending on what happens to McIntyre.

I imagine we see Zane resigned this summer for no other reason than the Seattle expansion draft. Hopefully, he can make good and come in and challenge Halak for the backup role this summer. If not, he can be exposed to Seattle and we don't give have to risk losing a goaltender we'd rather keep, particularly if Halak is extended.

Reactions: Ratty

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

Pronman is a pro leafs guy and it sure looks like he gives every dig he can to the Bruins. His reports are basically for lining the bottom of a bird cage

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I disagree

Axelsson looks good. Reminds me of Klefbom

Bruins should just keep Frederic and Studnicka. Also Vaaka, Kuhlman, Shen and Steen

I would dangle Lauko, Zboril, Senyshyn, Donato, JFK, Bjork, Cehlarik, Fitzgerald

A trade with Oilers is likely a good match since Gretzky liked/pushed for some of these picks

Maybe he will bite for a group of these prospects and trade the Bruins RHN and Jesse Puljujärvi

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Pronman is a pro leafs guy and it sure looks like he gives every dig he can to the Bruins. His reports are basically for lining the bottom of a bird cage
The more I follow prospects the less I can get into Pronman. He makes fine, easily digestible content that anyone can consume and get an idea about whats going on with prospects, but its just that. I have a hard time taking what he says really seriously,

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
He didn't have any Leafs in his top 50 prospects last month. That said, I'm not a fan of Pronman.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

Pronman down on the Bruins prospect pool, what else is new? I don't think he does it on purpose but they guy perennially underrates Bruins prospects. I don't think this is all that damning, but Urho and Jack have both raised their profiles this year. He's not wrong about the rest.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Pronman down on the Bruins prospect pool, what else is new? I don't think he does it on purpose but they guy perennially underrates Bruins prospects. I don't think this is all that damning, but Urho and Jack have both raised their profiles this year. He's not wrong about the rest.

Is he wrong though? I don't know if he is or not, but there prospect pool has always been more quantity than quality. Maybe he's right and scouts outside the organization just aren't as enamored with the Bruins young prospects as folks are around here.

Then again, I was told this week that Karson Kuhlman is good enough to displace one forward on half of the rosters in the NHL, so maybe the Bruins prospects really are as great as advertised seeing as they have multiple NHL-caliber talents just buried in the AHL because the parent club in Boston is such a deep and talented group.

BruinsNetwork

Is he wrong though? I don't know if he is or not, but there prospect pool has always been more quantity than quality. Maybe he's right and scouts outside the organization just aren't as enamored with the Bruins young prospects as folks are around here.

Then again, I was told this week that Karson Kuhlman is good enough to displace one forward on half of the rosters in the NHL, so maybe the Bruins prospects really are as great as advertised seeing as they have multiple NHL-caliber talents just buried in the AHL because the parent club in Boston is such a deep and talented group.

I think it’s a lot more complicated than who the prospects are or are not more talented than on the roster.

Hell, Colby Cave was claimed by Edmonton and I don’t even think he was the best of the bunch of in Providence. Did other teams claim him? We’ll never know, but that’s at least one Providence guy that a team in the NHL wanted and is using.

The Bruins have Kuraly, Wagner, Acciari, Backes and Nordstrom in the bottom-six and Kuraly is the only one who’s not interchangeable this year, IMO. As well as the fourth-line has been playing, I think there are a few guys in Providence who could provide better services than Wagner and Acciari on some nights as they’ve been quite inconsistent this year. Blidh and Kuhlman come to mind, but it’s not as simple as how talented they are.

They have a coach who’s clearly established “his” guys, as coaches do, and he’s not going to sit or have Wagner/Acciari sent down. Kuraly is a high-energy center (or winger, either way). Backes can’t be sent down, either, so that’s four right there. Nordstrom is a good bottom-six player and I like what he brings, so there’s no reason to replace him.

As far as the people saying that some of these guys like Kuhlman could play right now on several other teams? Well, if you look at some of the bottom-six JAGs across the league, I don’t think that’s so out of touch honestly.

Kuhlman might very well prove to be a better option than Acciari, Wagner and Backes. We will have to wait and see if he draws into the line up.

Obviously I don’t think Kuhlman is going to be making an impact on 15 teams in the NHL, but he would definitely had been given a shot on several. As would have Blidh, IMO.

Reactions: CDJ and BruinDust

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I disagree

Axelsson looks good. Reminds me of Klefbom

Bruins should just keep Frederic and Studnicka. Also Vaaka, Kuhlman, Shen and Steen

I would dangle Lauko, Zboril, Senyshyn, Donato, JFK, Bjork, Cehlarik, Fitzgerald

A trade with Oilers is likely a good match since Gretzky liked/pushed for some of these picks

Maybe he will bite for a group of these prospects and trade the Bruins RHN and Jesse Puljujärvi
Axelsson? I think you mean Axel Andersson. Easy to do.

If he turns out to be in Klefbom’s class, I’d be happy with that second round “steal”.

I’d also add rights to Kokhlachev to your list of available prospects. But I want to keep two of Cehlarik, Bjork and Donato.

RNH and Jesse P would be a good haul. Depends on outgoing.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think it’s a lot more complicated than who the prospects are or are not more talented than on the roster.

Hell, Colby Cave was claimed by Edmonton and I don’t even think he was the best of the bunch of in Providence. Did other teams claim him? We’ll never know, but that’s at least one Providence guy that a team in the NHL wanted and is using.

The Bruins have Kuraly, Wagner, Acciari, Backes and Nordstrom in the bottom-six and Kuraly is the only one who’s not interchangeable this year, IMO. As well as the fourth-line has been playing, I think there are a few guys in Providence who could provide better services than Wagner and Acciari on some nights as they’ve been quite inconsistent this year. Blidh and Kuhlman come to mind, but it’s not as simple as how talented they are.

They have a coach who’s clearly established “his” guys, as coaches do, and he’s not going to sit or have Wagner/Acciari sent down. Kuraly is a high-energy center (or winger, either way). Backes can’t be sent down, either, so that’s four right there. Nordstrom is a good bottom-six player and I like what he brings, so there’s no reason to replace him.

As far as the people saying that some of these guys like Kuhlman could play right now on several other teams? Well, if you look at some of the bottom-six JAGs across the league, I don’t think that’s so out of touch honestly.

Kuhlman might very well prove to be a better option than Acciari, Wagner and Backes. We will have to wait and see if he draws into the line up.

Obviously I don’t think Kuhlman is going to be making an impact on 15 teams in the NHL, but he would definitely had been given a shot on several. As would have Blidh, IMO.

Several to me isn't 10-15 teams which was the claim I disputed.

And it's not as simple as how talented they are. Nor is as simple as saying "well Kuhlman is a 4th line guy and they have plenty of those" so he didn't get an opportunity until now.

Really if were talking Bottom 6 JAGs, the Bruins are among the worst teams in the league. Most teams can at least put together something that sort-of, kind-of resembles a 3rd scoring line. The Bruins can't do that.

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018

Bruins have tons of B caliber prospects. That's isn't bad and more than a few B prospects do make it to the NHL and have a decent career, but more of them bust. From the Bruins prospect pool, some will make it, there's just too many of them to all bust. But who here can really say who in the bunch is gonna make it and who's gonna bust?

If you are say the Ottawa Senators and the Bruins want to make a push for Stone. Wich one or two of those B prospect do you bet on? They too see the high volatility in their future and probably don't want to take the bet.

We all fall in love with our prospect. Fans talk about how greater is the prospect pool now than it was under Chia, but guess what: Tons of fan here thought Knight KoKo and Spooner were the next coming at the time. After his 36 goal seasons in 50 games some thought Camara was the Bruins next power foward. Seth Griffith was more successful in the OHL than any of the Bruins recent corp (Studnicka Senyshyn). Ferlin, Florek, O'Gara, Button, etc. were all seen has potential NHLers ... Yeah it's easy today to say the pool sucked those years, but at the time fans taught they had alot of good prospect and most of the guys I just name were at one time seen as "untouchable" per a number of fans.

Personally, Vaakanainen is an NHLer, we just have to see what kind of impact he can have, but I love him. Then Studnicka I have some hope for because of how "easy" he seems to translate to pro hockey in his brief AHL stint last year, but at the same time, how many 19yo 4th liner on team Canada made it to the NHL as top 6 foward? My guess would be not much ...

Anyway, it's pretty easy to say the Bruins force in their prospect pool is their quantity over their quality, to have say 16 B prospects while most team have say 7 or 8. But one against another, they still are B prospect and those of the Bruins aren't better then their counterpart on other teams. Bruins just have a better chance a couple more will make it .

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Axelsson? I think you mean Axel Andersson. Easy to do.

If he turns out to be in Klefbom’s class, I’d be happy with that second round “steal”.

I’d also add rights to Kokhlachev to your list of available prospects. But I want to keep two of Cehlarik, Bjork and Donato.

RNH and Jesse P would be a good haul. Depends on outgoing.

Koko...would he not excel in this new brand NHL and former coach Cassidy? The two were successful together.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins have tons of B caliber prospects. That's isn't bad and more than a few B prospects do make it to the NHL and have a decent career, but more of them bust. From the Bruins prospect pool, some will make it, there's just too many of them to all bust. But who here can really say who in the bunch is gonna make it and who's gonna bust?

If you are say the Ottawa Senators and the Bruins want to make a push for Stone. Wich one or two of those B prospect do you bet on? They too see the high volatility in their future and probably don't want to take the bet.

We all fall in love with our prospect. Fans talk about how greater is the prospect pool now than it was under Chia, but guess what: Tons of fan here thought Knight KoKo and Spooner were the next coming at the time. After his 36 goal seasons in 50 games some thought Camara was the Bruins next power foward. Seth Griffith was more successful in the OHL than any of the Bruins recent corp (Studnicka Senyshyn). Ferlin, Florek, O'Gara, Button, etc. were all seen has potential NHLers ... Yeah it's easy today to say the pool sucked those years, but at the time fans taught they had alot of good prospect and most of the guys I just name were at one time seen as "untouchable" per a number of fans.

Personally, Vaakanainen is an NHLer, we just have to see what kind of impact he can have, but I love him. Then Studnicka I have some hope for because of how "easy" he seems to translate to pro hockey in his brief AHL stint last year, but at the same time, how many 19yo 4th liner on team Canada made it to the NHL as top 6 foward? My guess would be not much ...

Anyway, it's pretty easy to say the Bruins force in their prospect pool is their quantity over their quality, to have say 16 B prospects while most team have say 7 or 8. But one against another, they still are B prospect and those of the Bruins aren't better then their counterpart on other teams. Bruins just have a better chance a couple more will make it .

Well said.

The question I guess when talking trades, is how much value do other teams put on what are considered "B-level" prospects? I have no idea, but if I were to guess, I'd say they value them a lot less than the denizens of HF Boards do. Which is to say as an organization the Bruins should have a steady influx of good young players, but when talking trade, convincing fellow GMs to part with stars you need to send back potential stars in their eyes. That's where I think the Bruins will have trouble, as only Vaakainanen to me is an "A-level" prospect right now. Too many young guys had down years, Vaak got that exposure of a very good WJC. So if they won't part with Vaak, how do they get a star level guy like a Panarin or Stone?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Koko...would he not excel in this new brand NHL and former coach Cassidy? The two were successful together.

Koko may or may not. He is not a fast skater + smaller size

these type of players are nearly extinct from the league

The AHL and NHL is a different animal. I mean you could be a clever vet that could excel at the AHL. But at the NHL level it takes this plus physical tools

Example

-Backes right now would probably score 20 plus goals at the AHL level
-Senyshyn would be one of the faster skaters at the NHL level

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018

This always cracks me up, that guys in the AHL now are better than the roster players. You have one of the best checking 4th lines in hockey and you want to bring an AHL rookie to mix it up. Inconsistent? I've sure seen guys come up and play great to start then disappear.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Koko may or may not. He is not a fast skater + smaller size

these type of players are nearly extinct from the league

The AHL and NHL is a different animal. I mean you could be a clever vet that could excel at the AHL. But at the NHL level it takes this plus physical tools

Example

-Backes right now would probably score 20 plus goals at the AHL level
-Senyshyn would be one of the faster skaters at the NHL level
Maybe you’re right about Koko. But what’s wrong with including him in your list of “available” or “prospective” trade list? Some team might want him to be included in a package.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Maybe you’re right about Koko. But what’s wrong with including him in your list of “available” or “prospective” trade list? Some team might want him to be included in a package.

I doubt it

I mean if a team really wanted him...they would have shelled out a 3rd or even 4th pick

Sweeney would say yes to this yesterday

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I doubt it

I mean if a team really wanted him...they would have shelled out a 3rd or even 4th pick

Sweeney would say yes to this yesterday
So Sweeneys in negotiation with team X. All the major pieces are agreed to. But teamX's GM says I need just a little more, a throw in to complete the trade. Sweeney should decline to suggest Koko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad