Bruins Prospects VI - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Admittedly, I know next to nothing about most prospects, but I'd think the Bruins would rank higher than 27. :skeptic:

As it’s been stated by people here before. Flute is a hack writer along the lines of Hagerstown and jimmy Murphy. He does this for clickbait. Former bruins writer that has always been down on the bruins and now writing for the athletic.

Bruins are probably in the 12-15 range.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Whatever you say man there’s been plenty of scouts, bruins personnel and people who cover hockey to say they are down on his skating. You can feel how you want, but I’ll trust people like Gretzky and highly trafficked scouting reports over you.

Hopefully he turns out to be a great prospect and dominates. I just don’t see him being anything more than a 3rd line center with below average skating ability in a league trending away from his style of play, especially with having other centers like jfk and studnicka most likely getting top two forward pairing center jobs of the future.

Are those the same reports you brought up that referred to him as a good skater? Also can you show me where Gretzky said he wasn't a good skater?

Sounds like your just high on JFK and Studnicka and are trying to down play Frederic. I personally like all 3 and IDK that I like anyone over the other. The all bring a different element to their game. I'm just baffled that your own scouting reports you've pulled say Frederic is a good skater and yet you're trying to argue against your own scouting reports that he's not. That's the most mind blowing thing, you're contradicting the evidence you brought to the discussion lol. You say you'll take highly trafficked scouting reports over me, yet I've brought quotes form those high trafficked scouting reports. Its not like those are my own assessments on the kid.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
As it’s been stated by people here before. Flute is a hack writer along the lines of Hagerstown and jimmy Murphy. He does this for clickbait. Former bruins writer that has always been down on the bruins and now writing for the athletic.

Yeah, Fluto is definitely not the reason I subscribed to The Athletic.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You do realize that it wasn't Frederick's skating that caused him to be so poorly rated in the draft. He broke his hand during his draft eligible season, and couldn't actually grip the stick properly, and was self treating with IcyHot every night.

And lack of progression at Wisconsin. He had the advantage his first season of centering a line with a mid first round pick on it. His second year he basically had to carry the load alone

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

That was one writer. One was Fifth, another sixth. They ended up at 14 in that assessment.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Are those the same reports you brought up that referred to him as a good skater? Also can you show me where Gretzky said he wasn't a good skater?

Sounds like your just high on JFK and Studnicka and are trying to down play Frederic. I personally like all 3 and IDK that I like anyone over the other. The all bring a different element to their game. I'm just baffled that your own scouting reports you've pulled say Frederic is a good skater and yet you're trying to argue against your own scouting reports that he's not. That's the most mind blowing thing, you're contradicting the evidence you brought to the discussion lol. You say you'll take highly trafficked scouting reports over me, yet I've brought quotes form those high trafficked scouting reports. Its not like those are my own assessments on the kid.

Good skater when it comes to acceleration and power strides while skating. As I said before I’m not worried about his straight line speed. It’s well documented his troubles with agility, edges and lateral movement as well as skating through traffic. Those are the areas that concern me most. From all reports he’s basically a Milan Lucic from a skating perspective. Something the league is trending away from and will hurt him.

Also the fact the organization that drafted him pegged him as a 3rd line center and his lack of progression from his freshmen Year to his sophomore season.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Fluto didn’t write the article, pronman did. And based on his assessments thus far, he put a massive premium on having blue chip prospects. Nashville was ranked ahead of Boston because eeli tolvanen is considered by him a high end prospect. The next best in Nashville was in his “has a chance” tier. Boston had 5 players in tiers above the “have a chance” one. (Legit nhl prospect and good, or something like that). Donato was the cut above and then in no particular order frederic, UV, JFK, and studnicka.

So the reason they are 27 is because despite how many players we like in this system. Do we see a bonefide stud defensemen or a elite top line forward? Or a sure fire top caliber goalie? No. We like the depth and the sheer number of middle pairing and middle 6 players. According to how he ranked Boston v Nashville, he weights a singular top line talent significantly higher than 4 3rd line/2nd line guys.

So that’s that I guess. No need to freak out. Some people would rather have pastrnak in their system and nothing else after vs players who pan out like Carlo, heinen, grzcelyk, and Riley Nash being in the system. Pronman is one of those guys. You can disagree if you want but I can see the value in having one superstar in your system vs 4 solid nhlers. You can find solid nhlers. Superstars are harder

Reactions: wintersej

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I see Frederic’s ceiling as a good 3rd line center on a playoff team. Maybe he grabs a role as a 2nd line center on a basement dweller in the future.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Good skater when it comes to acceleration and power strides while skating. As I said before I’m not worried about his straight line speed. It’s well documented his troubles with agility, edges and lateral movement as well as skating through traffic. Those are the areas that concern me most. From all reports he’s basically a Milan Lucic from a skating perspective. Something the league is trending away from and will hurt him.

Also the fact the organization that drafted him pegged him as a 3rd line center and his lack of progression from his freshmen Year to his sophomore season.

Again edge work and agility are things guys work on every year, so to improve those things isn't out of the question (Chara still works on these things). Its also not like the guy is a pylon out there. The 3rd line comment shouldn't be considered the bible and Frederic will never be nothing more than that. Whose to say Greztky didn't have someone else that he really like more, but the table didn't agree. Maybe he was a little pissed off that they pass on his guy and made those comments intentionally, who knows.

What I do know is there are guys every year that develop into something more than what people expected they would. Frederic could be one of those guys. And you know what, so what if the guy ends up being a 3rd line center? What if he's a #3C that plays all situation and gives you 50-60 points a year? That's a pretty solid for a late 1st rounder is it not? The way I see it, the Bruins future down the middle is some combination of JFK, Studnicka and Frederic. I don't particularly care where they play or what line # you want to put on them. All I care about is that they produce.

There will always be a place in the game for two-way players with size that can bring a physical presence. Look at the destruction Tom Wilson caused during the playoffs. Now I'm not saying he'll being like Wilson, but when guys know a hits coming, they have a tendency to make mistakes. Playoff hockey is still physical in your face hockey and that's exactly the style that Frederic plays.

With that, I'm done talking about Frederic and his skating. We have differing opinions and only time will tell if the kid has the ability to be the player many hope he will be.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Fluto didn’t write the article, pronman did. And based on his assessments thus far, he put a massive premium on having blue chip prospects. Nashville was ranked ahead of Boston because eeli tolvanen is considered by him a high end prospect. The next best in Nashville was in his “has a chance” tier. Boston had 5 players in tiers above the “have a chance” one. (Legit nhl prospect and good, or something like that). Donato was the cut above and then in no particular order frederic, UV, JFK, and studnicka.

So the reason they are 27 is because despite how many players we like in this system. Do we see a bonefide stud defensemen or a elite top line forward? Or a sure fire top caliber goalie? No. We like the depth and the sheer number of middle pairing and middle 6 players. According to how he ranked Boston v Nashville, he weights a singular top line talent significantly higher than 4 3rd line/2nd line guys.

So that’s that I guess. No need to freak out. Some people would rather have pastrnak in their system and nothing else after vs players who pan out like Carlo, heinen, grzcelyk, and Riley Nash being in the system. Pronman is one of those guys. You can disagree if you want but I can see the value in having one superstar in your system vs 4 solid nhlers. You can find solid nhlers. Superstars are harder

Wish the team had one more prospect at C that was considered high end. Lots of middle 6C in the top prospects list.

Reactions: Estlin

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Good post, that`s how I interpreted things too. I took no offense to his arguments. I think the B`s have some very promising prospects but as Pronman seems to suggest, none are of the ilk that one could say will be top 6/top D pairing impact players

Now, that doesn`t mean they can`t/won`t be one day. If we didn`t see the graduation of so many kids last year to the big club, his ranking would have been much different IMO

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Wish the team had one more prospect at C that was considered high end. Lots of middle 6C in the top prospects list.

I like our center prospects, but agree with you. It would be ideal to have Bergeron's future replacement in the prospect pool by now. Fortunately, 2019 appears to be a strong year for centers at the draft. You hate to draft based on need, but if a solid C falls to the Bruins next year, there seem to be a number of intriguing options. Or, they can do, seemingly what they always do and draft a gem in the 2nd round!

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I think studnicka is going to surprise people. I really feel he will be a legitimate #1 center. Now saying he will be an all star, but I could see him getting close to that range. He probably has he highest ceiling of any prospect we have.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think studnicka is going to surprise people. I really feel he will be a legitimate #1 center. Now saying he will be an all star, but I could see him getting close to that range. He probably has he highest ceiling of any prospect we have.

I mean even if he becomes a Ryan O'Reilly type two way guy...which is a big ask...its STILL a long term weakness for the club. That being said... hopefully they have a few years to work it out.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I know Lauko is a C/LW, but do we know if he'll be more of a LW or a C?

I'm no expert, but when you see scouting reports that hype his speed but question his hockey IQ... that screams winger.

edit: in fact every time I see C/W on a young player, don't you always assume W? If they are not a full blown C at the lower levels... you don't see them move to C at the higher levels very often.

Last edited:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I mean even if he becomes a Ryan O'Reilly type two way guy...which is a big ask...its STILL a long term weakness for the club. That being said... hopefully they have a few years to work it out.

Boston had a golden opportunity to address that weakness a few drafts ago, but that’s water under the bridge. Studnicka, Frederic and JFK will all be good #2-3 centers, at least.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Boston had a golden opportunity to address that weakness a few drafts ago, but that’s water under the bridge. Studnicka, Frederic and JFK will all be good #2-3 centers, at least.

Yup, if they had "he who must not be named 2013 trade edition" or "he must who not be named 2015 draft edition" its all a moot point. They will get another chance.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm no expert, but when you see scouting reports that hype his speed but question his hockey IQ... that screams winger.

edit: in fact every time I see C/W on a young player, don't you always assume W? If they are not a full blown C at the lower levels... you don't see them move to C at the higher levels very often.

IDK if I always assuming that. Frederic was listed as a C/LW, Studnicka I think was a C/RW on some reports.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

I wouldn't really say that. They missed on Barzal, but there hasn't been anyone picked behind him who looks like a top-6 center. I think they would have picked a center if they thought there was a good one; they just didn't think Barzal's game would translate the way it has.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I like how Andersson tracks the play and adjusts his positioning to receive the pass...and instead of corralling the puck and slowing the play down, he one times it. How often do you hear about the importance of a quick release to catch goalies and D off guard. Case in point, here.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I see Frederic’s ceiling as a good 3rd line center on a playoff team. Maybe he grabs a role as a 2nd line center on a basement dweller in the future.
I’ll give my take after I watch him 2-5 games live in October - November in Providence

Senyshyn got a very nice comment to me by someone I respect who has watched modt if not all his home games live and works for Boston

‘He picks up things really quick’

And he can expletive fly

Interesting combo

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I’ll give my take after I watch him 2-5 games live in October - November in Providence

Senyshyn got a very nice comment to me by someone I respect who has watched modt if not all his home games live and works for Boston

‘He picks up things really quick’

And he can expletive fly

Interesting combo

Man, if he develops into a top 6 scoring winger, I can't want to visit these boards and observe widespread eating of crow!

Also, it wouldn't just be a huge victory for Zach, but it would be an epic vilification for Sweeney and his staff, not just for the decision to draft him, but also for the work done on the player development side of things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->