Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects IX - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I appreciate you saying that about Fitzgerald. I find that attitude waning nowadays, and is refreshing reading your posts as that's how I approach a lot of these decisions. People tend to focus a bit too much on the business side as if the players are just hockey cards or names on a roster.
If a player like Fitzgerald has a better opportunity in a different organization in what, I agree, is probably his last kick at eking out an NHL career than you allow him that - even if it makes Providence weaker.
I was just making a similar case about John Moore.

Exactly, business, even sports business, is all about relationship building. GMs, coaches, players, agents, etc. If a team can help a player get a better opportunity elsewhere that they can't offer within their organization, to me the long-term benefits of helping that player find an opportunity goes a long-way in the bigger picture to running an organization with a positive culture. What goes around comes around as they say.

Sure, sometimes it's not possible, sometimes tough decisions need to be made, but by and large I think most GMs are good guys and want to see everyone succeed in their professional life to a certain degree.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I never gave the prospects, the draft, free agency, trades, expansion draft two seconds of attention in the past 2+ months. I forgot the Memorial Cup was on and Lauko was involved. There's only so much of my time and few remaining brain cells I can devote to hockey and don't even know which prospects finished the season strongly.
Any opinions/insights on whom I should take a look at/read about during my procrastinating mornings would be appreciated by all as I need to brush up. As I am currently ill-informed and un-opinionated. Also gotta read up on a few of the players that might be available around 30th.
The three names that you should look into are Asselin, Lauko, Studnicka, and Keyser. Asselin is a guy who just recently signed with the P-Bruins after being undrafted. He put up strong numbers this year and had a solid playoff run with Halifax. Lauko meanwhile opened some eyes this season and had a strong Memorial Cup where he led the team in scoring en route to winning the whole thing. Studnicka is a name you will hear often since he is the best forward prospect in the system. He was solid for the Generals and then really turned it on when he was traded to Niagara. He also had a strong postseason for both the Ice Dogs and P-Bruins. Finally Keyser is the odd one out in that he is a Goalie. He was playing out his mind until Studnicka was traded then cooled off. He had a hell of a playoffs in which he willed the Generals to the third round.

Reactions: b in vancouver

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Exactly, business, even sports business, is all about relationship building. GMs, coaches, players, agents, etc. If a team can help a player get a better opportunity elsewhere that they can't offer within their organization, to me the long-term benefits of helping that player find an opportunity goes a long-way in the bigger picture to running an organization with a positive culture. What goes around comes around as they say.

Sure, sometimes it's not possible, sometimes tough decisions need to be made, but by and large I think most GMs are good guys and want to see everyone succeed in their professional life to a certain degree.

My sentiment exactly, including that sometimes hard decisions need to be made.
I know it's the prospect thread and I'm derailing it a bit but...
You used to move guys for 'future considerations' which was pretty much just allowing guys to have a fresh start or better opportunity. It's also why I appreciate when they give guys PTOs even if they have no intention of signing them as possibly another team will. And why teams let assistant coaches out of their contracts if they have an opportunity to be a head coach. Or why they moved Aaron Ward to Carolina. and it's returned in things like Iginla giving them all the time in the world that summer to try and figure out a way to keep him before signing with Colorado. It's why players like Krug and Wheeler picked Boston. Or why Louie Eriksson waived his NTC for Boston. Why Tavares and Kovy had them on their short list of teams. How they've re-upped guys to some fantastic contracts.

- It's the same approach I have to John Moore. He's too good to be a healthy scratch and wouldn't be for nearly every other team in the league. He's drawing a nice cheque and is a valuable player to have - but if he's your 8th d-man next year you talk to him and allow him the courtesy of deciding whether he wants to stay with the organization or move to a team where he would be a full-time top 4 d-man and then you do your best to accommodate and don't worry about the return as it shows class and respect even if it weakens your team a bit.

And it starts with how you treat your young players and prospects.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
My sentiment exactly, including that sometimes hard decisions need to be made.
I know it's the prospect thread and I'm derailing it a bit but...
You used to move guys for 'future considerations' which was pretty much just allowing guys to have a fresh start or better opportunity. It's also why I appreciate when they give guys PTOs even if they have no intention of signing them as possibly another team will. And why teams let assistant coaches out of their contracts if they have an opportunity to be a head coach. Or why they moved Aaron Ward to Carolina. and it's returned in things like Iginla giving them all the time in the world that summer to try and figure out a way to keep him before signing with Colorado. It's why players like Krug and Wheeler picked Boston. Or why Louie Eriksson waived his NTC for Boston. Why Tavares and Kovy had them on their short list of teams. How they've re-upped guys to some fantastic contracts.

- It's the same approach I have to John Moore. He's too good to be a healthy scratch and wouldn't be for nearly every other team in the league. He's drawing a nice cheque and is a valuable player to have - but if he's your 8th d-man next year you talk to him and allow him the courtesy of deciding whether he wants to stay with the organization or move to a team where he would be a full-time top 4 d-man and then you do your best to accommodate and don't worry about the return as it shows class and respect even if it weakens your team a bit.

And it starts with how you treat your young players and prospects.

Absolutely. The fan in me wants them to keep Moore, because he's a good D-man. But I can also see them moving him if it's his desire to do go somewhere where he will play everyday.

The culture of this organization as done a complete 360 since the salary cap was introduced. And it shows with the number of players who now see Boston and the Bruins as a desirable organization to play for.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The three names that you should look into are Asselin, Lauko, Studnicka, and Keyser. Asselin is a guy who just recently signed with the P-Bruins after being undrafted. He put up strong numbers this year and had a solid playoff run with Halifax. Lauko meanwhile opened some eyes this season and had a strong Memorial Cup where he led the team in scoring en route to winning the whole thing. Studnicka is a name you will hear often since he is the best forward prospect in the system. He was solid for the Generals and then really turned it on when he was traded to Niagara. He also had a strong postseason for both the Ice Dogs and P-Bruins. Finally Keyser is the odd one out in that he is a Goalie. He was playing out his mind until Studnicka was traded then cooled off. He had a hell of a playoffs in which he willed the Generals to the third round.

Re Keyser: Actually the other way around. He was playing out of his mind after Studnicka was traded. Hands down the team's MVP.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Re Keyser: Actually the other way around. He was playing out of his mind after Studnicka was traded. Hands down the team's MVP.
I probably worded that wrong. He was 100% the reason they did anything this season but his numbers did take a dip after the trade if I remember correctly

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

Thanks. Familiar with Studnicka, although like I mentioned I never followed anyone outside of the NHL the last few months and didn't even realize he played for Providence in the playoffs. Didn't even know they signed Asselin. And never watched two seconds of the Memorial Cup this year. I'll check things out. I'm usually slightly more informed but between The Bruins run and my actual life I'm pretty oblivious at the moment. I wanted to watch some P-Bruins games as I was interested to see how Lauzon and Zboril looked out there.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I probably worded that wrong. He was 100% the reason they did anything this season but his numbers did take a dip after the trade if I remember correctly
I posted the numbers way back in this thread.

Numbers without context though are tough especially when fans don't have access to advanced stats.

Shots against, shot quality, pk shots against were all up and his save percentage went up after the trade

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I posted the numbers way back in this thread.

Numbers without context though are tough especially when fans don't have access to advanced stats.

Shots against, shot quality, pk shots against were all up and his save percentage went up after the trade
I do remember reading that and I thought that his GAA and save percentage went down instead but I'm at that age where my memory is turning to mush.
Thanks. Familiar with Studnicka, although like I mentioned I never followed anyone outside of the NHL the last few months and didn't even realize he played for Providence in the playoffs. Didn't even know they signed Asselin. And never watched two seconds of the Memorial Cup this year. I'll check things out. I'm usually slightly more informed but between The Bruins run and my actual life I'm pretty oblivious at the moment. I wanted to watch some P-Bruins games as I was interested to see how Lauzon and Zboril looked out there.
He signed on the 6th this month so it is pretty recent but that was while the cup was going on so completely understandable if you missed.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Absolutely. The fan in me wants them to keep Moore, because he's a good D-man. But I can also see them moving him if it's his desire to do go somewhere where he will play everyday.

The culture of this organization as done a complete 360 since the salary cap was introduced. And it shows with the number of players who now see Boston and the Bruins as a desirable organization to play for.

Yep - on both points.
And for as much heat as Chiarelli gets he deserves a tonne of credit for changing the culture and outside view of the organization.
Always think Sinden was one of the great G.M.s but in his last few year's and through O'Connell's tenure The Bruins' stature throughout the league had really taken a hit but during The Cap Era, despite a few high profile trades that never panned out, they've been pretty much the poster-child for how to properly run a team.

I think trading Hamilton is another example of a properly run organization. People might not agree - but I'm always of the mind-set that if a player doesn't want to be part of your organization, you don't draw it out and create drama. Turn the page as quickly and quietly as you can. Get what you can but don't let it drag on while you're looking for the perfect return.
Same as why I want playoffs every year, for the current and the future, as compared to the 'high pick' crowd. Create the culture and good things will happen.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
BruinsDust, arider, Dom - Thanks.
This thread was the perfect tonic for me this morning. - before the kids drag me down to CarFree Day for Father's Day.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yep - on both points.
And for as much heat as Chiarelli gets he deserves a tonne of credit for changing the culture and outside view of the organization.
Always think Sinden was one of the great G.M.s but in his last few year's and through O'Connell's tenure The Bruins' stature throughout the league had really taken a hit but during The Cap Era, despite a few high profile trades that never panned out, they've been pretty much the poster-child for how to properly run a team.

I think trading Hamilton is another example of a properly run organization. People might not agree - but I'm always of the mind-set that if a player doesn't want to be part of your organization, you don't draw it out and create drama. Turn the page as quickly and quietly as you can. Get what you can but don't let it drag on while you're looking for the perfect return.
Same as why I want playoffs every year, for the current and the future, as compared to the 'high pick' crowd. Create the culture and good things will happen.

I am of the same thought process. If a guy wants to go, doesn't want to be part of what the team is building, then trade him and move on if you can find even a reasonable return. I'm not keeping him around just to squeeze a fellow GM for a extra draft pick. I see more benefit to cutting ties and allowing both parties to move forward. I'd point to Colorado and Duchene as exhibit A. Vancouver and it's handling of Luongo as Exhibit B.

Enjoy CarFree Day!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What do we think about potentials for breaking the lineup in the fall?

Studnicka?
Seny?
Lauzon?

Without having much to base my opinion on (as if that ever stopped me before).

Senyshyn - he may not break camp but if he doesn't push for a job this fall and be among the last cuts, I'll be disappointed considering he's in his final year of his ELC and going into his 5th season since being drafted

Lauzon - Depends on the situation on D at that time. Who returns, who's ready to go as Moore and Miller may not be ready for opening day. He's got a good shot, he's looked good in his stints in Boston and in both of the last pre-seasons.

Studnicka - They can afford to be patient with him, I don't think they need to rush him. But like Debrusk in 2017, to me he could be a darkhorse to claim a job right out of camp, especially if they are willing to try him on RW.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Without having much to base my opinion on (as if that ever stopped me before).

Senyshyn - he may not break camp but if he doesn't push for a job this fall and be among the last cuts, I'll be disappointed considering he's in his final year of his ELC and going into his 5th season since being drafted

Lauzon - Depends on the situation on D at that time. Who returns, who's ready to go as Moore and Miller may not be ready for opening day. He's got a good shot, he's looked good in his stints in Boston and in both of the last pre-seasons.

Studnicka - They can afford to be patient with him, I don't think they need to rush him. But like Debrusk in 2017, to me he could be a darkhorse to claim a job right out of camp, especially if they are willing to try him on RW.
the Lauzon situation is tricky because I think his skillset is going to be really valuable to them after Chara retires, but timing-wise I think Lauzon would be better served if he was a regular in the lineup right away. I'm hoping the extra year of waiting for a regular roster spot doesn't stunt his growth because I really do think he'll be a perfect fit to eat a lot of the defensive minutes Chara does today.

Reactions: BruinDust

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm hoping Bjork has put his injuries behind him and nails down a spot on the wing. I'm guessing he has a better chance to make it than other forward prospects.
the fortunate thing about the nature of his injuries is that they won't hurt his skating. I do worry about his shot which was already not his biggest asset. He looked to be much stronger on the puck at the start of this season so I'm hoping a silver lining in all this is that he has just continued to spend time in the gym & has added even more muscle.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
the Lauzon situation is tricky because I think his skillset is going to be really valuable to them after Chara retires, but timing-wise I think Lauzon would be better served if he was a regular in the lineup right away. I'm hoping the extra year of waiting for a regular roster spot doesn't stunt his growth because I really do think he'll be a perfect fit to eat a lot of the defensive minutes Chara does today.

I've always been a fan of Lauzon's game. I think he could end up a very solid defender who can do a bit of everything.

Reactions: Bergyesque

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
What do we think about potentials for breaking the lineup in the fall?

Studnicka?
Seny?
Lauzon?

I think it'll be very tough for a prospect to break this line-up. Assuming all your RFA's come back, there isn't very much room for guys...

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - ???
??? - Coyle - Heinen
Nordstrom - Kuraly - Wagner

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Grz - Clifton

^This also doesn't include Kuhlman, Miller or Moore (all under contract).

So defensively the only spot that could be up for grabs is the #3RD spot (Clifton). Miller is a RHD and Moore can play the right side, so I'd say barring a trade, Lauzon would need to leap frog at least 3 d-men. As for the forwards, I don't know how much I'm comfortable with banking on a rookie to play the #2RW. I will say, you can really start playing with some guys because of versatility and make some interesting combo's....

Marchand - Bergeron - Bjork/Studnicka/Senyshyn
DeBrusk - Krejci - Pastrnak
Heinen - Coyle - Senyshyn/Studnicka/Bjork

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Coyle
Heinen - Studnicka/Frederic - Kuhlman/Senyshyn

Marchand - Bergeron - Studnicka
Heinen - Krejci - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Coyle - Senyshyn

Then you have a guy like Cehlarik (although I think he's going to be dealt this off-season) who could slot on either wing. Frederic I only have in here at Center, but he can play LW as well. Simply put, we have a lot of guys that could make this team, its just a matter of what Sweeney and Co do this off-season for signings/trades. If I was going to say top 3 guys to have a chance to make the Bruins

Senyshyn
Studnicka
Lauko

I put Lauko in there because he could be a 4th line guy right now. Good forechecker, brings the energy every shift, good defensively and has offensive upside. If he comes to camp and wows, I could see him as someone who gets an early season look. Maybe you slot him #3LW if he continues to impress, but the tough part is then you lose Nordstrom (a very good PK guy).

Reactions: The National

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Chances of Khokhlachev coming back before his 2021 deadline?

If his game is still there, haven’t been following him much recently.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Vaak and Lauzon should definitely see some time next season I'd imagine. Whether through injuries, trades freeing up spacing, or winning spots.

If Bjork can come back from his injury, I think he makes the roster again. My dark horse is Studnicka though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->