Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects IX - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think he loses sleep over the draft but if I were him, not getting a winger for Krejci would keep me up nights. We complain that the top6 didn't show up but Krejci led the team in ES scoring with no wingers and was setting people up all series against STL. Imagine the difference one average NHL winger would have made. He did such a great job getting a Mojo and Coyle... it kills me that he stopped there. It's like if in 2011, we had only got Kaberle and Peverley and not Kelly. Anyway, water under the bridge, it was a special run regardless of the final game, which I honestly believe they played well enough to win.
I blame Cassidy

Marchand-Bergeron are like Middleton-Pederson

You can put many guys on the RW

Heinen had 13 points in 15 games there

Bjork 9 in 14

Put Pastrnak with 74 & 46 regular shift and reunite 63-37-88 on power plays

I love Cassidy but the solution is right there

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I blame Cassidy

Marchand-Bergeron are like Middleton-Pederson

You can put many guys on the RW

Heinen had 13 points in 15 games there

Bjork 9 in 14

Put Pastrnak with 74 & 46 regular shift and reunite 63-37-88 on power plays

I love Cassidy but the solution is right there

I don't know, I haven't felt like there was much chemistry between DeBrusk and Pasta. I know they haven't played together much but I think that's what Cassidy sees when he tries it. Pasta plays his best off the tic tac quick passing plays and DeBrusk really doesn't pass the puck, at least not last year. When he got the puck, he'd hold it and try to get to the net on his own.

Heinen also didn't look like he could hit the broad side of a barn in the playoffs. His overall play and playmaking were good, but he seemed really snakebit shooting the puck. Not sure they wanted that on the first line in the finals.

That said, I'd be all for putting Heinen there next year. Let him grow into the role of a first liner. Maybe the success would give him more confidence in the playoffs. I'm also all for trying Pasta with Krejci in the regular season, I'm just not convinced DeBrusk can play with Pasta. I wish they'd consider playing Jake on the 3rd line with Coyle but it feels like the 2nd line is more DeBrusk's than Krejci's line now, I can't see them taking Jake off it.

Reactions: JOKER 192

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'm also all for trying Pasta with Krejci in the regular season, I'm just not convinced DeBrusk can play with Pasta.

Couldn't agree more. That's not to discredit DeBrusk but he's not the ideal player for Pasta. I think Pasta can excel with Krejci but not with DeBrusk on the other wing. DeBrusk with Coyle would be a better match IMO.

Reactions: jangerhofer

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I don't know, I haven't felt like there was much chemistry between DeBrusk and Pasta. I know they haven't played together much but I think that's what Cassidy sees when he tries it. Pasta plays his best off the tic tac quick passing plays and DeBrusk really doesn't pass the puck, at least not last year. When he got the puck, he'd hold it and try to get to the net on his own.

Heinen also didn't look like he could hit the broad side of a barn in the playoffs. His overall play and playmaking were good, but he seemed really snakebit shooting the puck. Not sure they wanted that on the first line in the finals.

That said, I'd be all for putting Heinen there next year. Let him grow into the role of a first liner. Maybe the success would give him more confidence in the playoffs. I'm also all for trying Pasta with Krejci in the regular season, I'm just not convinced DeBrusk can play with Pasta. I wish they'd consider playing Jake on the 3rd line with Coyle but it feels like the 2nd line is more DeBrusk's than Krejci's line now, I can't see them taking Jake off it.

I'm generally a fan of going with pairings for your top lines with the idea that you fill out the third spot with a player who may not fit the classic definition of a 1st or 2nd line player, but can play up to the talent of the two other linemates and not drag down the line. I think Heinen is that type of player.

I agree with your thoughts on DeBrusk. I think Cassidy has line-up rocks in Marchand-Bergeron and DeBrusk-Krejci (i.e. pairings that will be kept together other than for injury). Personally, I'm fine with the idea of line-up rocks. I think you should have five for forwards. 1C-1W, 2C-2W, and 3C. You start your line-up with that, and don't change it other than for injury. My frustration with Cassidy is that it shouldn't be DeBrusk and Krejci as your line-up rock/2nd line pairing; it should be Krejci and Pastrnak.

I want them to start with this line-up, and then fill in the rest from there. I think that ensures that scoring is spread throughout the line-up, and you have a base for three strong lines.

Marchand-Bergeron-XXX
XXX-Krejci-Pastrnak
XXX-Coyle-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX

Reactions: jangerhofer

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Couldn't agree more. That's not to discredit DeBrusk but he's not the ideal player for Pasta. I think Pasta can excel with Krejci but not with DeBrusk on the other wing. DeBrusk with Coyle would be a better match IMO.

I see nothing wrong with JDB on a third line with Charlie Coyle and possibly Brett Ritchie. That could be a nice line. Who would you look at as a 2nd line LW in that case? Cehlarik?

BruinsNetwork

I see nothing wrong with JDB on a third line with Charlie Coyle and possibly Brett Ritchie. That could be a nice line. Who would you look at as a 2nd line LW in that case? Cehlarik?

If Brett Ritchie earns a spot over someone like Cehlarik, Kuhlman or Senyshyn for 3RW, then so be it. However, he should be an absolute last resort player for that spot.

I’d rather watch Senyshyn play in that role and develop, learn and maybe even struggle than see Ritchie just potentially struggle.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If Brett Ritchie earns a spot over someone like Cehlarik, Kuhlman or Senyshyn for 3RW, then so be it. However, he should be an absolute last resort player for that spot.

I’d rather watch Senyshyn play in that role and develop, learn and maybe even struggle than see Ritchie just potentially struggle.

I think everyone is just overhyped for Ritchie because he put up 16 goals one year. Everyone wants a middle 6 RW to do well here that they are grasping at anything. I don’t have much hope for Ritchie outside of being a solid 4th liner and more likely 13th forward.

I sincerely hope that he can somehow be a 16 goals guy again and it would be a pleasant surprise. I just highly doubt it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Didn’t Krejci work well when he took over for an injured to Bergeron and centered Marchand & Pastrnak.

Pastrnak & DeBrusk seem to have great chemistry at least off the ice. I’ve seen them at functions together and in warmups they have a bromance going. Doesn’t mean it clicks on ice but I’m guessing they’d like it to.

What about flipping Marchand and DeBrusk or is that too radical.

Coyle would actually interest me with DeBrusk but then you are really messing things up

The solution would be for Senyshyn become a 22 year old Corey Perry

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

FWIW the line combination of debrusk-krejci-Pastrnak had the following:

Goals for %: 71.4%
Shot attempt %: 54.2%
Goalie save percentage: .966

Though it was a relatively small sample size, they performed very well together in their short time together.

Furthermore Marchand-Bergeron-heinen were:

Goals for %: 91.7%
Shot attempt %: 54.8%
Goalie save percentage: .980

Also a relatively small sample size but very successful.

Ideally line combos for next season would be

Marchand-Bergeron-heinen
Debrusk-krejci-pasta
Bjork-coyle-kuhlman
Nordstrom-kuraly-Wagner

Obviously that third line will be up for debate, but the top two really shouldn’t be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty93

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I don't disagree at all. I threw Ritchie in there as he is an NHL player, whatever he caps out as- 4th line, 13th man, 3rd line- we know he can play in the league and brings some size, toughness, and skill. I am sure I don't think he is the likely answer for the Bruins RW issue and I'm just as happy to say JDB-Coyle-Senyshyn/Kuhlman/whoever else as a third line.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
FWIW the line combination of debrusk-krejci-Pastrnak had the following:

Goals for %: 71.4%
Shot attempt %: 54.2%
Goalie save percentage: .966

Though it was a relatively small sample size, they performed very well together in their short time together.

Furthermore Marchand-Bergeron-heinen were:

Goals for %: 91.7%
Shot attempt %: 54.8%
Goalie save percentage: .980

Also a relatively small sample size but very successful.

Ideally line combos for next season would be

Marchand-Bergeron-heinen
Debrusk-krejci-pasta
Bjork-coyle-kuhlman
Nordstrom-kuraly-Wagner

Obviously that third line will be up for debate, but the top two really shouldn’t be.
I believe there is cause for debate on the top two lines. While Heinen played well in his short stint with Marchand and Bergy, he also excelled playing his natural side when teamed with Coyle. Not as closed and shut as you would imply.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

@Dom - OHL

HMmmm McFaul? Or is he already going. I know you probably can’t say but will you tell us regardless if he goes or not?

As far as I know, McFaul will be attending.

My tweet was about an undrafted right shot d-man that a lot of hockey minds were shocked he wasn't drafted. Attended development camp of another team, so they'd probably have the inside edge.

Constantinou, Billy.JPG

Reactions: gumgum

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017

My tweet was about an undrafted right shot d-man that a lot of hockey minds were shocked he wasn't drafted. Attended development camp of another team, so they'd probably have the inside edge.

View attachment 251571
Absolutely never in my life seen this kid play hockey, but looks like he was moved from Niagra to Kingston last year? Is there an attitude/off-ice reasoning behind that, cause obviously just based on the stat lines, it looks as though he was reasonably productive. However, db has him at a whopping -58 with Kingston. Really interested in your thoughts if you feel like posting about him at some point.

He's got the Boston-style name, though, baby.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Absolutely never in my life seen this kid play hockey, but looks like he was moved from Niagra to Kingston last year? Is there an attitude/off-ice reasoning behind that, cause obviously just based on the stat lines, it looks as though he was reasonably productive. However, db has him at a whopping -58 with Kingston. Really interested in your thoughts if you feel like posting about him at some point.

He's got the Boston-style name, though, baby.

Billy Constantinou – Kingston Frontenacs – Player Profile That's what I wrote about him.

I've talked to him several times. Completely selfless on and off the ice. He stood out at the Top Prospects game. I think the move to Kingston and how bad that team was raised a lot of questions. But you can't lay blame on one single player IMO. Unless we are talking goaltenders.

Reactions: gumgum

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Billy Constantinou – Kingston Frontenacs – Player Profile That's what I wrote about him.

I've talked to him several times. Completely selfless on and off the ice. He stood out at the Top Prospects game. I think the move to Kingston and how bad that team was raised a lot of questions. But you can't lay blame on one single player IMO. Unless we are talking goaltenders.

So it reads like the move to Kingston was not his choice, but a trade by a team looking to set-up for the post-season. You have to give to get. It would be interesting to see what comes of this. RD is still something of a weak spot for the Bruins in prospect depth.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So it reads like the move to Kingston was not his choice, but a trade by a team looking to set-up for the post-season. You have to give to get. It would be interesting to see what comes of this. RD is still something of a weak spot for the Bruins in prospect depth.

My understanding is this: He had a NTC (yes they exist in Junior as well) and the Ice Dogs strong armed him into waiving. If you watched the video in the link I provided, you can see he has some magic feet and hands.

Still, the Kings have the inside track since he attended their development camp. But there's interest for sure. The thing is with undrafted junior players is that it forces a team to dish out an ELC before he plays his first junior game of the season, if you want him that badly. Otherwise, he re-enters the draft (depending on age).

Of course the contract can slide, but it makes the player a year closer to arbitration and the likes. You can entice a player with signing bonuses and even pay him to play in the CHL (I believe the max this year is 10K which is much more then they receive from their junior team).

Reactions: Dr Hook and gumgum

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

View attachment 251571
Wouldn't McFaul lose his eligibility or as long as he pays his own expenses he's ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->