Prospect Info: Bruins prospect Zane McIntyre named Hobey Baker Award Finalist

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/t...ntyre_has_unfinished_business_at_North_Dakota

For those that missed it, an article penned by the best in the game.

Some eight months later, McIntyre is in Grand Forks, N.D., enjoying a brief rest after first semester exams, re-charging his physical and emotional batteries for the 2014-15 NCAA hockey season’s second half.

“You look back on it and say, ‘I could’ve done this or should’ve done that’ … hockey’s a game of coulda-woulda-shoulda; a bounce here and there can go against you,” McIntyre says with an easy cadence that belies fierce disappointment even after all this time. “Getting that close (to the Frozen Four) and having it happen against such a big rival, obviously it was a very emotional game. Maybe you need to lose a couple of heartbreakers in order to win a big one, and that’s how I’ve tried to approach it going forward.”

Great kid and one of the best articles you will ever read. If you are a cry baby like I am, have some tissues ready.

Last edited:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/t...ntyre_has_unfinished_business_at_North_Dakota

Some eight months later, McIntyre is in Grand Forks, N.D., enjoying a brief rest after first semester exams, re-charging his physical and emotional batteries for the 2014-15 NCAA hockey season’s second half.

“You look back on it and say, ‘I could’ve done this or should’ve done that’ … hockey’s a game of coulda-woulda-shoulda; a bounce here and there can go against you,†McIntyre says with an easy cadence that belies fierce disappointment even after all this time. “Getting that close (to the Frozen Four) and having it happen against such a big rival, obviously it was a very emotional game. Maybe you need to lose a couple of heartbreakers in order to win a big one, and that’s how I’ve tried to approach it going forward.â€

Great kid and one of the best articles you will ever read. If you are a cry baby like I am, have some tissues ready.

I hadn't read the story before, gave me goosebumps - wonderful story! Thanks for posting the link.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
This guy might be the best prospect in the system. Chiarelli has to get him in the fold, whatever it takes.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Not sure he is the best, but he's up there. Why wouldn't Chia sign him, and why wouldn't he want to sign here? You make it sound as if it's going to be difficult?

The only reason he wouldn't want to is the fact tuukka is entrenched as this teams starter. However chances are still good he signs here, the bruins system has gotten lesser goalies then Zane paid recently. Khudobin, Johnson both were given an opportunity and then received contracts and oppurntunity elsewhere. Zane should follow that path

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Impressive numbers to start with and he's improved every year. Bodes well for him.

2012-13 U. of North Dakota WCHA 17 2 2 1000 41 0 0 2.46 9 4 3 473 0.920
2013-14 U. of North Dakota NCHC 33 0 4 1929 64 0 3 1.99 20 10 3 800 0.926
2014-15 U. of North Dakota NCHC 37 1 2 2196 72 0 1 1.97 27 7 3 989 0.932

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Gothberg seems like a bright kid. The B's drafted him and he's been at every Dev Camp since then. I'm sure he knows he needs some seasoning and doesn't seem like the type to shy away from competion. I fully expect him to be playing in PRO next season.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Gothberg seems like a bright kid. The B's drafted him and he's been at every Dev Camp since then. I'm sure he knows he needs some seasoning and doesn't seem like the type to shy away from competion. I fully expect him to be playing in PRO next season.

They offered him a contract last summer but it was his choice to return to school, so I'd say that's a very safe bet. :) I look forward to seeing him.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
He actually legally changed his name to McIntyre (mother's maiden name) last year.

He was drafted in 2010. I know that Blake Wheeler and Hayes of the Rangers became UFAs after a long period after their draft year. Not sure whether that loophole is still in effect. If so, he could take advantage of it by playing another year at U.N.D.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He actually legally changed his name to McIntyre (mother's maiden name) last year.

He was drafted in 2010. I know that Blake Wheeler and Hayes of the Rangers became UFAs after a long period after their draft year. Not sure whether that loophole is still in effect. If so, he could take advantage of it by playing another year at U.N.D.

Yeah, I know about the name thing, but I have been calling him Gothberg since he was drafted.

I believe that loophole was closed and the big difference is that a Wheeler didn't want to play for Arizona. As far as I know, ZM has no issues with the B's.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Yeah, I know about the name thing, but I have been calling him Gothberg since he was drafted.

I believe that loophole was closed and the big difference is that a Wheeler didn't want to play for Arizona. As far as I know, ZM has no issues with the B's.

No, I recall Wheeler describing the situation as a unique opportunity to pick where he wanted to play that was too good to pass up. Maybe he didn't like Arizona, but he wasn't public about it.

Kevin Hayes snubbed Chicago to sign in New York so that he could play in the NHL right away.

As others have mentioned, Tuukka is entrenched as this team's starter for the next 7 years. And our consensus #1 prospect is a goaltender. So we are basically taking Gothberg so that he becomes a good trade chip down the road. Don't you think he is aware of that? In light of that, why wouldn't he just pick where he wants to play now?

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

“You look back on it and say, ‘I could’ve done this or should’ve done that’ … hockey’s a game of coulda-woulda-shoulda; a bounce here and there can go against you,†McIntyre says with an easy cadence that belies fierce disappointment even after all this time. “Getting that close (to the Frozen Four) and having it happen against such a big rival, obviously it was a very emotional game. Maybe you need to lose a couple of heartbreakers in order to win a big one, and that’s how I’ve tried to approach it going forward.â€

Nice work by Kirk. Zane was Kirk's guy from the start. Nice to see him keep improving. Are we gonna have a Malcolm Zane tandem in the future? BTW what is the story with Zane's father?

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
So by the sounds of it you guys are all expecting Zane to sign with the Bruins after the season? From everything I have heard at UND it does sound likely but he is also a kid that bleeds green so if we do not win the natty this year do not be surprised if he is back playing in the Ralph next season. Also, I believe if he waits until something like June he does have the opportunity to sign with any team he pleases. Now I do not know if this is something that Zane would do but I believe the opportunity is there.

On another note, how does Zane compare to Subban?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Hyman for Michigan deserves that .Least he my pick haha He not on top team like Eichel yet big numbers too.Probably be Jack with 67 pts to his 54 but we see One thing for sure Jack goin 2nd in draft though lol

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
So by the sounds of it you guys are all expecting Zane to sign with the Bruins after the season? From everything I have heard at UND it does sound likely but he is also a kid that bleeds green so if we do not win the natty this year do not be surprised if he is back playing in the Ralph next season. Also, I believe if he waits until something like June he does have the opportunity to sign with any team he pleases. Now I do not know if this is something that Zane would do but I believe the opportunity is there.

On another note, how does Zane compare to Subban?

Here's an article that details the CBA rules regarding NCAA players and the loopholes:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013/6/7/4404684/nhl-cba-college-loophole-ncaa-change

If I'm reading that right, ZM can go FA on June 1st, if he's not signed by B's because of his year in the USHL. If he returns to school next year, I'm not sure if the B's have until June 1st or Aug 15th? My point earlier was that Zane seems to have a really good relationship with BOS, so I don't see him going elsewhere.

As far as Subban goes, I have actually watched ZM more than Malcolm this season. On the surface, the primary difference seems to be that Zane has the prototypical NHL goalie size and that Subban is smaller and more athletic? Maybe someone who is more of a goalie expert can comment?

In the meantime, ZM and ND move onto the Frozen Four vs BU.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
This is precisely why I raised the Kevin Hayes/Blake Wheeler issue. McIntyre (or Gothberg, as you call him) could be influenced by other factors other than loyalty to the Boston organization. I hope Chiarelli, or his successor can get his name on a contract.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I hate to say it but I wouldn't sign in Boston if I were him.

Stuck behind Tuukka and Subban is a tough mountain to climb. Loyalty doesn't pay the bills.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

Stuck behind Tuukka and Subban is a tough mountain to climb. Loyalty doesn't pay the bills.
Things change. He could be offered the opportunity to compete for the #1 Providence job. Subban has been the subject of some trade rumors on this site.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Well, I'm glad you aren't his agent. The B's were the only team interested enough to draft him, so I'm sure that means something to him, even if it doesn't to you. Personally, I think they should change the NCAA rule. Why should the B's (or any team) have only roughly 30 days to get something done with the player after they waited three or four freaking years for them?

As Ratty says, things change. And after watching Zane all year a number of times, I'm not convinced he's not ahead of Subban already. Rask has to do his internship before he got the starter's role, and so will ZM or Subban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad