Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I don't believe for a second that Torey Krug is on the table.

And I doubt Spooner is either.

This is based on very little mind you... But I'm not including either of these guys in my trade thoughts.

Losing a special player in Loui for Backes is ok because of depth at O! D is the focus now in my mind, preferably without subtracting O. So I'm willing to part with Krug/Miller for an "upgrade". Trouba type obviously. But if Vatrano is a cherry on top, that's better than spooner imo

Krug and vatrano for Trouba is probably a yes.
Krug and Spooner for Trouba is probably a no.
Marchand for Trouba + and I probably do it

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I'm getting a feeling that Collin Miller may be on the table as part of the return for a different young defenceman.

I would agree, and I assume he has been available for a while

It's tough right now for Morrow and Miller. They haven't proven enough to be counted on, and they are about to be pushed heavily from behind

I can see teams being interested because he is a bit of a poor mans Matt Dumba. Two kids who haven't proven they can be good NHL player, but both with some exceptional tools

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I would agree, and I assume he has been available for a while

It's tough right now for Morrow and Miller. They haven't proven enough to be counted on, and they are about to be pushed heavily from behind

I can see teams being interested because he is a bit of a poor mans Matt Dumba. Two kids who haven't proven they can be good NHL player, but both with some exceptional tools

Apparently no one is interested in Miller or Morrow so they have more value to us than anyone. Hope those two establish themselve this year! Or at least one of them

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

This is based on very little mind you... But I'm not including either of these guys in my trade thoughts.

I think everyone has been on the table since the day the season ended. But other teams know Sweeney and Neely are desperate and they're exercising their leverage.

"Want to be employed at this time next year? Bend over."

Sweeney hasn't taken the bait and that's why we are where we are, shopping in the bargain bins.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country

Doubt Spooner is on the table?

He makes the most sense to be dangled and has most value while being expendable of anyone.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary

He makes the most sense to be dangled and has most value while being expendable of anyone.

I would rather turn Krug into our stop gap D instead of Spooner though. Tons of help on D is coming, and I'm happy having our strong O

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I think everyone has been on the table since the day the season ended. But other teams know Sweeney and Neely are desperate and they're exercising their leverage.

"Want to be employed at this time next year? Bend over."

Sweeney hasn't taken the bait and that's why we are where we are, shopping in the bargain bins.

I think there may have been a time for that. And of course anyone is available for the right return.

I think they consider Krug to be a part of the core of the team. If they don't, they should. As for Spooner, see above

Backes was the big fish for the Bruins this free agency period. I thi k it shows that they are attempting to forge a balance on the forward lines. One that they are going to be quite hesitant to throw off unless it's a slam dunk return.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

expendable? Um, disagree, IF, say DK doesn`t rebound from his hip surgery as expected or get injured again, or gawd forbid Bergy is injured, without Spoons, they`d be with just Backes and either DK/Bergy and no viable 3C

Spoons is developing, he`s affordable, he`s got nice wheels and offensive talent, unless there is a young, mobile D-man who`s under control of the B`s who`s established himself coming back, no way Spoons is a part of anything, tis hardly like the Bruins have an excess of C`men, let alone young, cost controlled one`s

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
expendable? Um, disagree, IF, say DK doesn`t rebound from his hip surgery as expected or get injured again, or gawd forbid Bergy is injured, without Spoons, they`d be with just Backes and either DK/Bergy and no viable 3C

Spoons is developing, he`s affordable, he`s got nice wheels and offensive talent, unless there is a young, mobile D-man who`s under control of the B`s who`s established himself coming back, no way Spoons is a part of anything, tis hardly like the Bruins have an excess of C`men, let alone young, cost controlled one`s

Backes has said most of conversations about him playing with spoked B were about him as a centerman. I take him at his word.

If (and it's a big IF, for sure) Vesey is signed as top six LW, where does Spooner play?

You can occasionally play Backes as RW based on need, matchup, but that also suggests he would be at C most often - if so, Spooner is not a RW to reverse slot when Backes slides back to C. Where does he go?

If DS is going to target that top-4 D, who else would be dealt off roster whom has a cheap contract and value to another GM?

Spooner makes the most sense whom would be targeted in any trade, particularly as roster limits and cap numbers get squeezed further summer moves on.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I see Spooner as the player they're trying to build a package around to bring a top 4 D here. I don't think they want to move him. But you're clearly going to have to give up a quality player when it comes to defense.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I see Spooner as the player they're trying to build a package around to bring a top 4 D here. I don't think they want to move him. But you're clearly going to have to give up a quality player when it comes to defense.
Agree
I think they like TK and his leadership. Spooner a much more replaceable part.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think Sweeney likes Spooner. He is no rush to move him.

But to me his immediate future here is dependent on a number of factors.

1) Can Spooner finally and successfully convert to a LW? If Claude didn't hesitate to use the likes Kemppainen and Talbot instead of Spooner at 3rd line C at times last year, I can only imagine how often he would do it with a player like Backes as an option. I'd say right now Spooner's split of time between wing and C next season at about 75%/25% in favor of wing. Largely dependent on injuries and in-game situations.

1) Does Vesey sign in Boston? Because if he did, Boston are somewhat overloaded now and going forward in left-shooting wingers (Marchand, Beleskey, Vartrano, Spooner, Heinen, Debrusk, etc.) Does Vesey coming in all of a sudden make one of these players not named Marchand or Belesky more expandable? Yes some of these guys likely can play the off-wing, like Vatrano has done at the WC, but there is still an excess.

Just my opinion, but Spooner should not be on the off-wing. If he has to adjust to a new position, let's not make the transition harder than it needs to be.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
if you are going to have spooner play wing I would put him with Bergeron and Marchand. With two snipers on that line, I think Spooner could be a good fit. Still think Backes will settle in as a RW with us.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
if you are going to have spooner play wing I would put him with Bergeron and Marchand. With two snipers on that line, I think Spooner could be a good fit. Still think Backes will settle in as a RW with us.

Bergeron is a sniper? Since when?? :laugh:

I literally have no idea what the forward lines will look like come opening day. The Bruins are extremely strong at C and relatively poor on the wings.

No matter what - training camp should be interesting.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Bergeron is a sniper? Since when?? :laugh:

I literally have no idea what the forward lines will look like come opening day. The Bruins are extremely strong at C and relatively poor on the wings.

No matter what - training camp should be interesting.

Since the last 3 years when he started really utilizing his one timer from the top of the right circle both at ES and on the PP. Bergeron has scored around 85 goals over the past three seasons and has been consistently at the top for shots on net for the Bs for quite a while. I'm not saying he 'a Stankos or OV but he's been one of the better goal scoring centers in the league recently.

I just think with two volume shooters in Marchand and Bergeron a playmaking winger could thrive with those two. A guy like Teddy Purcell could have been a decent fit with them for cheap but he's not an option any more and the team is pretty deep at forward anyways.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Since the last 3 years when he started really utilizing his one timer from the top of the right circle both at ES and on the PP. Bergeron has scored around 85 goals over the past three seasons and has been consistently at the top for shots on net for the Bs for quite a while. I'm not saying he 'a Stankos or OV but he's been one of the better goal scoring centers in the league recently.

I just think with two volume shooters in Marchand and Bergeron a playmaking winger could thrive with those two. A guy like Teddy Purcell could have been a decent fit with them for cheap but he's not an option any more and the team is pretty deep at forward anyways.

Fair enough! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad