Line Combos: Bruins PP - Does Chara still belong on it?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Trebuchet2.jpg

It takes about as long to launch a trebuchet as it does for Chara to wind up and take a slap shot from the point. Plus I have seen Big Z caught flat footed at the blue line and give up a breakaway too many times.

Agree with others that Julien needs to become less stubborn and go for the jugular on the PP instead of playing passive. I'd rather see Dougie Hamilton in front, he's got the size and has some offensive skills.
PS
I'm a newbie and I love the site and the various forums.:D

Welcome. What a time to join. I'm sure the join rate is pretty low at the moment.

Dougie is an offensive D-men and should stay as such. We've seen Looch be effective in the screen position before and I see no reason we can't go back to that...at least some of the time...with Chara doing it at random times.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yes but only for certain circumstances, such as down a goal with say 5-7 minutes left in the 3rd. Save it as a special weapon, load up the unit with him(use Krejci, Bergeron, etc.) take him off the regular 2 units, opponents won't plan for it as much.

It will also reduce his minutes and he should be fresher come April. We have enough left-handed shots that we don't need to use Chara up front on the PP all the time.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Yes but only for certain circumstances, such as down a goal with say 5-7 minutes left in the 3rd. Save it as a special weapon, load up the unit with him(use Krejci, Bergeron, etc.) take him off the regular 2 units, opponents won't plan for it as much.

It will also reduce his minutes and he should be fresher come April. We have enough left-handed shots that we don't need to use Chara up front on the PP all the time.

So glad I share identical thoughts on this with some people out there. I was convinced at one point it was just me.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bergeron would be a good fit in Iginla's old spot on the PP as he's one of the only players on the team with a legit one-timer lol, especially on the left side. Still though, he's too important in his slot role on his own PP unit, and he's not the type of player you want doubling up on the PP.

TheFerenceWheel

The Excellence of Execution
May 2, 2011
South Shore, MA
Chara has value on the PP with his net front presence. His shot, while the hardest in the league is often inaccurate and it takes him 25 years to get it off. His mobility is also limited as he is aging and at time on the point he has trouble keeping the puck in the zone and can be prone to giving up breakaway chances.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
We need to anything to salvage our PP. Chara had 9 PP goals last season I think and we had a great PP so why change it.

I'm interested to see if it gets better with Krejci and Chara both back on it. If not...I don't know. The only regular PP guy we lost is Iginla who was obviously good but it shouldn't be this terrible.

We really need to fix it. Considering our abysmal offense, we need to be potting goals on the few PPs we have. Our PK isn't amazing either. Ugh.

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
Only on a 5-3 with extra time, and that's a good thing. His shot is as hard as Weber but we move the puck to slowly, combined with his slow heavy release that it gets blocked and is a breakaway the other way.

The entire PP needs to be reinvented. We need 2 strategies. Krug, and no Krug.

I agree. I'm at the point that every time i see Chara do his little flick on net, I cry a little.

Z slowing down, coupled with the fact that this team is devoid of elite playmakers (yes Krejci is good, but not Savvy Good) = No chance to get that Chara Bomb off.

ElkabombKid9

May 18, 2007
Boston
If Chara had to be out for the pp, i think it should be at the point. Let lucic be the big body out front. This may sound dumb but in tight. I think his stick is just to long in tight spaces or something. He just looks awkward trying to control the puck down low. Hes basically just a decoy. If the puck gets behind the net or in the corner he's just iut of his element

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Of course he belongs on it. It was effective last year and Chara scored a lot of goals on the PP. It has been anemic without him on it this year. What helped Z get a lot of his goals last year was that he quit taking as many slapshots that usually miss the mark and started using a heavy wrister. That resulted in not only goals scored but some juicy rebounds that set other players up for goals. His mere presence on the PP can give teams fits and brings a whole new dimension to the PP than if he is not on it.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
No
No
No
No
No
Absolutely Not

I've expressed this far to much. He's aging and these are wasted minutes when he could be shaving minutes each game. This goes for anytime in OT as well.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I agree. Absolutely not. Put Morrow out there, or CMiller when he plays. Save Chara for defensive minutes, where he still is very effective.
He just isn't agile enough out there anymore for the point on the PP.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I've never liked Chara at the point. Yeah, I know, his deadly slap shot. I always wanted to see him either parked in front of or crashing the net, if nothing else he'd have scared the absolute crap out of the goaltender & opened things up for the shooters.

Now that he is older his minutes need to be reduced. The PP is the place to do it because IMO he's never been that great there given the way he's been used, unlike the PK. Put Morrow or Colin Miller out there instead.

I know it won't happen, Z wants to be on the ice in important situations and Claude wants him out there too.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Chara needs to be taken off the PP. He's simply to slow these days. He can't get the slap shot off fast enough to get it through anymore. He's can't handle the puck effectively anymore. Even struggles simply keeping it in the O zone lately. He's still effective defensively, that's where he should be used.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd put him on the 2nd unit for sure. His shot is still a weapon, and his size can be used in front of the net.

Right now they are giving the vast majority of minutes to PP1. Having Chara on PP2 at the end of the PP so he is on the ice when the other team rolls over there top offensive lines makes sense to me. As long as that unit is only getting 30 seconds :).

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'd give anything for him to start using the slapper more and just start ripping them. Too many wristers.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Successful power plays, IMO, are one`s where the puck is consistently moving, Chara doesn`t do that well enough and should no longer be on it

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Pretty obvious that he should no longer be on the PP. At this point, they should be designing two PP units, each anchored by one D man and one defensive forward, and three other forwards.

When Z was still shooting slappers and had better mobility, he was ok on the PP, but he's never been good at the blue line and he shoots harmless wristers nearly 100% of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad