Confirmed with Link: Bruins player tests positive for COVID-19 - Sweeney news confernce Post #45

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
fentanyl or whatever it is does the trick, although i woke up several times during my first scope. saw them inking my tumor on tv... fell back to sleep though.

Ah yes, the wonders of anesthesia. Count back from 10, get to about 7, wake up and have no idea what happened.

Reactions: Estlin and BMC

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
One of my friends is currently in the police academy and had to get tested recently before he went back along with all the other cadets. Long q-tip stuck deep into your nasal cavity. Told me it didn't hurt, it was just an unpleasant feeling. Said his nose was a little uncomfortable for a little while after.

I'd say the colonoscopy will be the worse of the two.

I'm gonna disagree a little bit. One of my last trips out into the real world was my second colonoscopy ever (just polyps from last time, all clear this time, yay!), and I have to say both colonoscopies were pleasant. Propofol is an amazing drug - it's basically an on/off switch for your brain. I literally didn't even bother to count back from 10 - they just said "we're putting in the good stuff", and BAM, next thing I know, I'm waking up in the post-op room. And I'm an insomniac. Plus, for me, it wore off very quickly - less than a minute after waking up, I was able to correctly spit out the phrase "six tubular adenomas" to my GI doc while he was looking up my past records before discharging me. Honestly, the most annoying part was the IV setup, but even that wasn't bad. I didn't drive after, and would absolutely NEVER drive (no driving or legal/big decisions until the next morning), but honestly, there was very little hangover effect.

Actually, scratch that. The worst part isn't the IV - it's the prep. But if you've ever had the "stomach flu", you're probably familiar with how it feels. Just some advice: if you're getting magnesium citrate, don't take the dye-free cherry! It's extremely sweet. Of course, I don't know how the other options are. And do the whole prep - because you don't want to have to go back if they have an incomplete prep!

As far as COVID nasal swab testing, I've heard it's not comfortable, but bearable. Can't imagine it being much worse than a neti pot, but I've never done it (and wouldn't do it, since I'm not a big object-in-nose person.) I'd get access to tissues just in case (your own, preferably, because I wouldn't handle much in any medical setting), but my impression is that it's more annoying than anything else.

Reactions: BMC

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I have a question- have any of you been tested for COVID? What was it like?

I have to be tested Tuesday as I am scheduled for a colonoscopy Friday.

I got tested prior to shoulder surgery. It was just kind of unpleasant. Made my eyes water and felt like I had to sneeze. Was a pretty quick test though.

Reactions: BMC

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Maine CDC Sunday update:

36 new; 5th consecutive day holding at 100 deaths;

also, AMTRAK resuming train service between Brunswick and Boston on weekdays beginning today (4:15 am to Boston and 5 pm to Brunswick 1st since 4/16)

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
got tested last week as requirement for a scope myself. tested negative. like a thin q tip getting put up your nose. small burning sensation for 4 seconds then fine. its scary how facts and best practices are
interpreted by people. doctor took his face mask off while talking to me, said "i dont need this you tested negative". shows you some people even doctors don't understand or follow all the guidance. ask for extra lube... good luck.

Thanks! I hope your scope goes well!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
One of my friends is currently in the police academy and had to get tested recently before he went back along with all the other cadets. Long q-tip stuck deep into your nasal cavity. Told me it didn't hurt, it was just an unpleasant feeling. Said his nose was a little uncomfortable for a little while after.

I'd say the colonoscopy will be the worse of the two.

Thanks!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm gonna disagree a little bit. One of my last trips out into the real world was my second colonoscopy ever (just polyps from last time, all clear this time, yay!), and I have to say both colonoscopies were pleasant. Propofol is an amazing drug - it's basically an on/off switch for your brain. I literally didn't even bother to count back from 10 - they just said "we're putting in the good stuff", and BAM, next thing I know, I'm waking up in the post-op room. And I'm an insomniac. Plus, for me, it wore off very quickly - less than a minute after waking up, I was able to correctly spit out the phrase "six tubular adenomas" to my GI doc while he was looking up my past records before discharging me. Honestly, the most annoying part was the IV setup, but even that wasn't bad. I didn't drive after, and would absolutely NEVER drive (no driving or legal/big decisions until the next morning), but honestly, there was very little hangover effect.

Actually, scratch that. The worst part isn't the IV - it's the prep. But if you've ever had the "stomach flu", you're probably familiar with how it feels. Just some advice: if you're getting magnesium citrate, don't take the dye-free cherry! It's extremely sweet. Of course, I don't know how the other options are. And do the whole prep - because you don't want to have to go back if they have an incomplete prep!

As far as COVID nasal swab testing, I've heard it's not comfortable, but bearable. Can't imagine it being much worse than a neti pot, but I've never done it (and wouldn't do it, since I'm not a big object-in-nose person.) I'd get access to tissues just in case (your own, preferably, because I wouldn't handle much in any medical setting), but my impression is that it's more annoying than anything else.

Thanks @talkinaway . I am dreading the prep, right now that looks worse to me than the COVID test or the scope itself.

Glad yours came out OK!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->