Confirmed with Link: Bruins player tests positive for COVID-19 - Sweeney news confernce Post #45

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Agreed, which is why I can't see any American cities being selected to be "hubs", I mean here in Nova Scotia there's been literally either 0 or 1 new case per day for about the past 2 weeks. Canada has done an excellent job controlling the COVID spread in my estimation.

Yeah, I can't realistically happening down here either. Way too many cases, way too much chaos going on without even talking about the virus. Play it safe and do it up in the boonies of Canada.

Reactions: Emerz

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Agreed, which is why I can't see any American cities being selected to be "hubs", I mean here in Nova Scotia there's been literally either 0 or 1 new case per day for about the past 2 weeks. Canada has done an excellent job controlling the COVID spread in my estimation.

It seems like the NHL doesn't want to do it in Canada because of their restrictions, but I think that's the reason that they should do it. If you're trying to have as few cases as possible, then they have a much better chance of attaining that in Canada than in the U.S.

Reactions: LSCII

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Yeah, I can't realistically happening down here either. Way too many cases, way too much chaos going on without even talking about the virus. Play it safe and do it up in the boonies of Canada.

I don't like seeing the numbers jump in Southern states. All those air conditioned buildings in Vegas worry me and it looks like that's where the Bruins are going to be playing.

Reactions: wintersej and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't like seeing the numbers jump in Southern states. All those air conditioned buildings in Vegas worry me and it looks like that's where the Bruins are going to be playing.

Yeah, I'm worried it's going to be a crapshow. Hopefully they pull it off, but time will tell.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
False positives are extraordinarily rare for COVID-19 but false negatives are relatively common. So I doubt that's the story.

He probably just had a very light case and ultimately that's good news because he should have some antibodies now and that's one guy who is protected.

while this may be true we did just see a false positive this weekend in the UFC and it pretty much went down the same way this is going down

fight was temporarily called off. Cornerman was tested again. Negative. Tested again. Negative. Fighter tested. Negative. Fight then got put back on. So it’s something that has happened publicly in recent days

Reactions: Spooner st

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
And the media is hopping on it to be sensationalist even though it's well in the past and was asymptomatic anyway, why even bother announcing it if it's not a big deal
It's the competition for clicks... nothing new. People want sensationalism... people also know it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Blaming the media for being the media is fake news.

Having high Hope's for sensationalism from the media is unrealistic.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's the competition for clicks... nothing new. People want sensationalism... people also know it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Blaming the media for being the media is fake news.

Having high Hope's for sensationalism from the media is unrealistic.

No

The message is ANYONE can get this - Now hopefully it was a false positive or the virus didn't cause any damage to the unknown player.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
There was speculation on Twitter yesterday whether some of the illnesses teams had in the locker room in January was actually Covid :dunno:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
No

The message is ANYONE can get this - Now hopefully it was a false positive or the virus didn't cause any damage to the unknown player.

From MIT medical FAQ: Testing for COVID-19 | MIT Medical

How accurate is the diagnostic test for COVID-19?
The PCR test for COVID-19 works by detecting genetic material from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The genetic material from SARS-CoV-2 cannot be confused with the genetic material from other viruses, so the COVID-19 diagnostic test is highly specific. This means it almost never gives a false positive. If you are tested for COVID-19, and the test comes back positive, you can be very sure that you are infected with this virus. The new antigen test for COVID-19 is also very specific and rarely gives a false positive.

Obviously we can't say that's the exact test the Bruins are using, but I would imagine it's a PCR-based one, and thus highly unlikely to be a false positive. We'd all rather it be a false positive, but even with the best of precautions, it's possible to get infected.

The other thing to consider is the prior likelihood. Is it likely that a healthy 20- or 30-something healthy NHL player who may have been in a less restrictive country is going to be asymptomatic and infected, or is it likely that the specimen is a false positive (likely from cross contamination of some sort)? I would imagine it's the former. Now, if you told me it was a test run on an asymptomatic 70 year-old who has basically been shut in since March other than receiving delivery groceries, and has had OCD-level hygiene in handling said food, and hasn't had a delivery in 2 weeks before the sample was taken? Probably a false positive.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
No

I wasn't talking about the message per se...I was talking about the media in general and the way it's perceived by the people blaming said media.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There was speculation on Twitter yesterday whether some of the illnesses teams had in the locker room in January was actually Covid :dunno:

All I can say is someone on the NESN crew got very ill but we have been told it was NOT COVID-19.

The person is fine now.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
From MIT medical FAQ: Testing for COVID-19 | MIT Medical

Obviously we can't say that's the exact test the Bruins are using, but I would imagine it's a PCR-based one, and thus highly unlikely to be a false positive. We'd all rather it be a false positive, but even with the best of precautions, it's possible to get infected.

The other thing to consider is the prior likelihood. Is it likely that a healthy 20- or 30-something healthy NHL player who may have been in a less restrictive country is going to be asymptomatic and infected, or is it likely that the specimen is a false positive (likely from cross contamination of some sort)? I would imagine it's the former. Now, if you told me it was a test run on an asymptomatic 70 year-old who has basically been shut in since March other than receiving delivery groceries, and has had OCD-level hygiene in handling said food, and hasn't had a delivery in 2 weeks before the sample was taken? Probably a false positive.
that's the challenge we face here..... is it asymptomatic or presymptomatic as we now are in three months here into the Pandemic

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Very certain my wife had it in late January/early February.
Chills, fever, aches, sore throat -- tested negative for both flu and strep throat.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A symptom-free Bruins player reported to Warrior Ice Arena for Phase 2 of the league’s return to play and tested positive for COVID-19. The unidentified player, who remains asymptomatic, has subsequently been tested twice. Both results were negative.

He is under quarantine and will be tested again next week. The player will not be allowed to enter Warrior until the conclusion of his quarantine, the length of which is unknown. The Bruins conducted contact tracing to identify others who came into contact with the player. An isolated case does not necessarily require team-wide quarantine.

Bruins player's positive test for COVID-19 underscores NHL's...

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
It seems like the NHL doesn't want to do it in Canada because of their restrictions, but I think that's the reason that they should do it. If you're trying to have as few cases as possible, then they have a much better chance of attaining that in Canada than in the U.S.

Lowest risk of a wrench being thrown into the machine. But 2 weeks of rotting in hotel rooms will really change the vibe. Look at the NBA they’re all like ‘uh 2 months until games that matter and we can’t leave.’

Hopefully Canada shaves off a few days and it’s on. Make it 7-10.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Best plan is you are locked in a hotel room in Edmonton for 8 days and then it’s time for hockey.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
NHL is playing with fire doing this circus of a playoffs. I'm shocked the season is planned to continue.

I'm actually disgusted with the league and whoever is allowing this

it’s concerning. The NHL looking to return, MLB, football on deck and a clear rush for youth sports to open up while Covid cases are back on the rise. Meanwhile the news is . . . might mention Covid

Reactions: TinyRivers

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
can you imagine how many co workers have covid19 but dont get tested daily like pro sports. lol.

these pro players are the safest people in the world right now.

Reactions: PB37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad