Confirmed with Link: Bruins player tests positive for COVID-19 - Sweeney news confernce Post #45

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
developing

upload_2020-6-12_12-6-9.png

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Bruins confirm that a player tested positive for COVID-19. Has since tested negative twice and is asymptomatic. All of the players in Boston to take part in Phase 2 have tested negative to this point, per the Bruins<Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs)

The player tested negative twice as well apparently

Weird

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
When did he test positive, though? It's weird to announce someone tested positive and then subsequently tested negative twice with no time frame whatsoever.

Reactions: LSCII

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON - Phase 2 of the NHL's Return to Play Plan requires all players to be tested for COVID-19 prior to using the team's facilities. As part of this process the Bruins were advised that a player tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. The player underwent two subsequent tests, and both returned negative. The player remains asymptomatic. The Bruins will continue to follow CDC recommendations and adhere to the NHL's protocol.

All Bruins players who have returned to this point during Phase 2 have now returned negative test results.

The Bruins, in conjunction with the National Hockey League, are providing these details in an effort to be transparent and will provide no further information at this time.

Bruins Statement On COVID-19 Testing

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
From what I've gathered, the player hasn't been at Warrior, had one positive test followed by two negatives, and will be tested later again.

Also of interest:

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
We better not lose the cup because some dumbass was out and about without a mask or didn't wash their hands.
All the players have tested negative. This player whoever it is quarantined and tested twice clean , it’s either all good or he’ll be fine very soon. IMO . Just my opinion. I think no different as the Pittsburgh Penguin player having it.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
So was it a false positive? One positive test and no symptoms followed by 2 negative tests. No time frame mentioned leads to speculating.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
All the players have tested negative. This player whoever it is quarantined and tested twice clean , it’s either all good or he’ll be fine very soon. IMO . Just my opinion. I think no different as the Pittsburgh Penguin player having it.
So this was from a while ago then and all clear now? Another misleading headline from the media to try to throw us all in a panic and click more articles, I suppose.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
So this was from a while ago then and all clear now? Another misleading headline from the media to try to throw us all in a panic and click more articles, I suppose.
Don Sweeney will address it this afternoon. I’m only listening when he talks. Because he is the one who knows who it is.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Or the team knew about it but didn't say anything until now because nobody else was exposed in terms of players?
And the media is hopping on it to be sensationalist even though it's well in the past and was asymptomatic anyway, why even bother announcing it if it's not a big deal

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
False positives are extraordinarily rare for COVID-19 but false negatives are relatively common. So I doubt that's the story.

He probably just had a very light case and ultimately that's good news because he should have some antibodies now and that's one guy who is protected.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And the media is hopping on it to be sensationalist even though it's well in the past and was asymptomatic anyway, why even bother announcing it if it's not a big deal

Because it's news, and because it's still a story despite the outcome. The media hypes everything. You have to take it with a grain of salt or you'll drive yourself crazy. But with that being said, it's still a news story, especially for Boston.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It’s a big risk . It’s me being me ! Lol

Right on, man!

Now take this example of a player testing positive, but put it at the neutral site tournament. Logistically, what happens if a player tests positive after playing, exposing 2 entire teams? Seems like a giant headache from that standpoint along. And that doesn't even factor in if a player gets really sick or worse. Just from a hockey operations view, this tournament and early return seem like a very bad idea to me.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
False positives are extraordinarily rare for COVID-19 but false negatives are relatively common. So I doubt that's the story.

He probably just had a very light case and ultimately that's good news because he should have some antibodies now and that's one guy who is protected.
The second paragraph is more of what probably happened. But who knows

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Right on, man!

Now take this example of a player testing positive, but put it at the neutral site tournament. Logistically, what happens if a player tests positive after playing, exposing 2 entire teams? Seems like a giant headache from that standpoint along. And that doesn't even factor in if a player gets really sick or worse. Just from a hockey operations view, this tournament and early return seem like a very bad idea to me.

There has to be a plan for that. They're not going to shut it down unless 3+ players on a team get it.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
From the Bruins' release:

The Bruins, in conjunction with the National Hockey League, are providing these details in an effort to be transparent and will provide no further information at this time.

Bruins Statement On COVID-19 Testing

It's weird to get upset with the media over this

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
There has to be a plan for that. They're not going to shut it down unless 3+ players on a team get it.

I'm sure they have contingencies, but there are always things that happen even when you think you've planned for everything. It would be a travesty to see a team or teams get knocked out not by an opponent, but because the virus.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I'm sure they have contingencies, but there are always things that happen even when you think you've planned for everything. It would be a travesty to see a team or teams get knocked out not by an opponent, but because the virus.

Agreed, which is why I can't see any American cities being selected to be "hubs", I mean here in Nova Scotia there's been literally either 0 or 1 new case per day for about the past 2 weeks. Canada has done an excellent job controlling the COVID spread in my estimation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad