Boston Bruins Bruins Off-Ice Happenings

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Pets teach Bruins’ old dog, David Backes, new tricks - The Boston Globe

Let’s see, there’s Maverick, a handsome rottweiler, and there’s Rosie, a mix of pit bull and Labrador retriever, and then the slightly more circumspect and way cooler — just ask them — pair of orange tabbies, Sonny and Paulie.

Toss in a couple of adults, a pair of preschoolers, and well, Christmas time for the Backes family can be, you know, two cute for words.

“It can make for a long car ride,” mused Bruins forward David Backes, understandably relieved that his band of eight spent the NHL holiday break here in the Hub and not hustling back home to Blaine, Minnesota. “We’re gonna do ‘Frozen Two’ and ‘Disney on Ice’ and then it’s pajamas for the rest of the time.”

Both from Blaine, outside Minneapolis, David and Kelly dreamed for years about starting their own organization to help animals. Frozen out of the arena, they got to work in the kennel game.

As a boy, David had a black rescue poodle, Jazz, while Kelly’s childhood backyard was full of ducks and bunnies, fitting for a kid with a veterinary technician as a mom and a backyard that bumped up to forest land.

“She had the full Dr. Doolittle at her house,” said Backes. “So all of this was more in her blood than mine, but once you are able to connect with the animals, you know, give them a voice because they don’t have one, it becomes impactful work . . . and you take more than you give, I think.”
Pets teach Bruins’ old dog, David Backes, new tricks - The Boston Globe

Let’s see, there’s Maverick, a handsome rottweiler, and there’s Rosie, a mix of pit bull and Labrador retriever, and then the slightly more circumspect and way cooler — just ask them — pair of orange tabbies, Sonny and Paulie.

Toss in a couple of adults, a pair of preschoolers, and well, Christmas time for the Backes family can be, you know, two cute for words.

“It can make for a long car ride,” mused Bruins forward David Backes, understandably relieved that his band of eight spent the NHL holiday break here in the Hub and not hustling back home to Blaine, Minnesota. “We’re gonna do ‘Frozen Two’ and ‘Disney on Ice’ and then it’s pajamas for the rest of the time.”

Both from Blaine, outside Minneapolis, David and Kelly dreamed for years about starting their own organization to help animals. Frozen out of the arena, they got to work in the kennel game.

As a boy, David had a black rescue poodle, Jazz, while Kelly’s childhood backyard was full of ducks and bunnies, fitting for a kid with a veterinary technician as a mom and a backyard that bumped up to forest land.

“She had the full Dr. Doolittle at her house,” said Backes. “So all of this was more in her blood than mine, but once you are able to connect with the animals, you know, give them a voice because they don’t have one, it becomes impactful work . . . and you take more than you give, I think.”

Soon after getting their charity off the ground, Kelly noted the special bond that pets and people share. Just one example: how excited a dog typically gets when the two-legged residents in charge (or so they think) come walking through the door.

“The joy and happiness and life [pets] bring into your home . . . ” said Kelly, “. . . it’s just amazing.”

Soon after getting their charity off the ground, Kelly noted the special bond that pets and people share. Just one example: how excited a dog typically gets when the two-legged residents in charge (or so they think) come walking through the door.

“The joy and happiness and life [pets] bring into your home . . . ” said Kelly, “. . . it’s just amazing.”
Anyone who loves and rescues dogs is a great player no matter what the stats may say. :nod:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The Bruins have invited the players’ moms along for the Jan. 7 game in Nashville, which has Cassidy giving his goalie plans a little more scrutiny. He wants to make sure both of his tender’s moms get to see their boys in action. “It’s a business, I know, but if we’re just talking about flipping a couple of starts . . . I don’t want to get too far ahead.”

Reactions: sooshii and Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The Bruins have invited the players’ moms along for the Jan. 7 game in Nashville, which has Cassidy giving his goalie plans a little more scrutiny. He wants to make sure both of his tender’s moms get to see their boys in action. “It’s a business, I know, but if we’re just talking about flipping a couple of starts . . . I don’t want to get too far ahead.”
I love the parent trips. They brought their dads to Nashville a couple years ago as I recall. Good city choice, I must say. ;)

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

It's the annual Bruins' moms' trip, which is perfect timing. If there's anyone who should be able to get the Bruins collective heads out of their *****, it's their mothers.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

It's the annual Bruins' moms' trip, which is perfect timing. If there's anyone who should be able to get the Bruins collective heads out of their *****, it's their mothers.

If they lose tomorrow night they should let the moms ask the questions instead of the reporters.

Nobody in their right mind lies to Momma. ;)

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
NHL Notebook: Inside the 'competition' that comes with choosing seatmates on Bruins' team flights; Kreider injured | Boston Sports Journal

Wasn't sure where to put this... But I guess flights are an off ice happening :dunno:

Oh, Carlo.

:laugh:

“The past two years I’ve been next to Nordy (Joakim Nordstrom),” Brandon Carlo said. “I kind of just offered that seat up when he came to the team last year. And he’s a good guy to have on a long flight. He’s courteous, doesn’t fart a lot, so it’s all good.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Every thread is off ice at this point. But for those interested Pasta and Jake have been spending there days streaming Fortnite, he's been live every day since this weekend.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Congrats to Par and his wife :)

Screenshot_20200409-154638_Instagram.jpg

I believe Tuukka's wife is also due soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad