Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
From Wags' Instastory

full

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Normally I love the math magic tricks (and figuring them out!), but it's pretty obvious what happened there. He did NOT have Krug use the calculator app that you and I have on our phone. Simple programming trick with a fake calculator app - it accepts two numbers and multiplies them to make a number that will have probably have 6 or 7 digits. Then, while Krug has his eyes CLOSED and taps the phone repeatedly, a preprogrammed number appears what, when subtracted from the real number, will give whatever "target number" you have set up - in this case, the three jersey numbers. If Krug had had his eyes opened, he would have said, "Hey, I hit 9, but a 5 appeared on the screen!"

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
could watch those kids smiling during difficult times all day long...their parents too. Really get the sense the players are also very grateful for the opportunity to put that smile on their faces

Reactions: Bruinaura

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I hope New Balance is aware that Chara plays for the local NHL team, not the NBA team :laugh:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Pets teach Bruins’ old dog, David Backes, new tricks - The Boston Globe

Let’s see, there’s Maverick, a handsome rottweiler, and there’s Rosie, a mix of pit bull and Labrador retriever, and then the slightly more circumspect and way cooler — just ask them — pair of orange tabbies, Sonny and Paulie.

Toss in a couple of adults, a pair of preschoolers, and well, Christmas time for the Backes family can be, you know, two cute for words.

“It can make for a long car ride,” mused Bruins forward David Backes, understandably relieved that his band of eight spent the NHL holiday break here in the Hub and not hustling back home to Blaine, Minnesota. “We’re gonna do ‘Frozen Two’ and ‘Disney on Ice’ and then it’s pajamas for the rest of the time.”

Both from Blaine, outside Minneapolis, David and Kelly dreamed for years about starting their own organization to help animals. Frozen out of the arena, they got to work in the kennel game.

As a boy, David had a black rescue poodle, Jazz, while Kelly’s childhood backyard was full of ducks and bunnies, fitting for a kid with a veterinary technician as a mom and a backyard that bumped up to forest land.

“She had the full Dr. Doolittle at her house,” said Backes. “So all of this was more in her blood than mine, but once you are able to connect with the animals, you know, give them a voice because they don’t have one, it becomes impactful work . . . and you take more than you give, I think.”

Soon after getting their charity off the ground, Kelly noted the special bond that pets and people share. Just one example: how excited a dog typically gets when the two-legged residents in charge (or so they think) come walking through the door.

“The joy and happiness and life [pets] bring into your home . . . ” said Kelly, “. . . it’s just amazing.”

Reactions: Lady Rhian and CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->