Boston Bruins Bruins Off-Ice Happenings

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Anybody from the boards there?

I went - other than starting over half an hour late, it was actually better organized than usual, IMO. Given that the first hour was supposed to be STH early-renewal time, it was a title annoying, but I imagine most people who renew do it early anyway, right?

Also, food was more spartan than prior years. Just donuts and popcorn. Granted, nothing was promised, but remind me, does JJ own any food-related businesses? I seem to remember something about that.

They actually had wranglers for each station to point to the end of each line, and who would occasionally shut down entry into lines when they got too long. I would have loved to have gone to more than 5 stations, but this was my year to pick up the “big boys”.

Big kudos to the players for doing this - they were all very gracious, as they are each year. If they were hung over from last night, it didn’t show!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Big kudos to the players for doing this - they were all very gracious, as they are each year.

That's a lot of people. Personally I would find it exhausting but I guess they are used to it.

Maybe someday I will meet an actual player but I doubt it.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I went - other than starting over half an hour late, it was actually better organized than usual, IMO. Given that the first hour was supposed to be STH early-renewal time, it was a title annoying, but I imagine most people who renew do it early anyway, right?

Also, food was more spartan than prior years. Just donuts and popcorn. Granted, nothing was promised, but remind me, does JJ own any food-related businesses? I seem to remember something about that.

They actually had wranglers for each station to point to the end of each line, and who would occasionally shut down entry into lines when they got too long. I would have loved to have gone to more than 5 stations, but this was my year to pick up the “big boys”.

Big kudos to the players for doing this - they were all very gracious, as they are each year. If they were hung over from last night, it didn’t show!

They definitely did a better job this year than last. The apple cider donuts were not that bad. All the guys were great. Friendly. Engaged. Even Sophia from NESN was there and she was amazing talking to people. I’ll gladly have my coffee tomorrow morning out of the STH mugs they gave us for coming.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Great that the guys do this. Been awhile since we've seen Miller. He looks like he's 50!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
When there's an event like this I tend to look at who wasn't there.

Lots of injured players made the effort to show up. Here’s the list:
37, 48, 27, 33, 25, 86, 75, 47, 88, 83, 26, 74, 13, 42, 14, 20, 40, 43, 46, 10, 63, 52, 44, 73

Kuhlman was still in a boot but showed up. I think it says a lot about him - let’s face it, he’s not a huge draw like Bergeron or Rask or Marchand, and probably wouldn’t be on the radar if he’d not shown up - it would have been an understandable “Oh, he just doesn’t want to have to sit on a stupid stool for 2 hours wearing a stupid boot.” Same goes for Moore and Miller. So, good them for supporting the team.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
37, 48, 27, 33, 25, 86, 75, 47, 88, 83, 26, 74, 13, 42, 14, 20, 40, 43, 46, 10, 63, 52, 44, 73

Kuhlman was still in a boot but showed up. I think it says a lot about him - let’s face it, he’s not a huge draw like Bergeron or Rask or Marchand, and probably wouldn’t be on the radar if he’d not shown up - it would have been an understandable “Oh, he just doesn’t want to have to sit on a stupid stool for 2 hours wearing a stupid boot.” Same goes for Moore and Miller. So, good them for supporting the team.
This is great to hear! My new favorite player is now Kuhlman. As you said, he's not a huge draw but showed up to support. I know as mother to an autistic child how much player interaction means.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

The real question is whether Danton Heinen smirk at people... ;)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

So No Ritchie or Halak?

Jaro’s sick and it is probably a safe bet that Ritchie is as well.

Anyone who gives either of them grief for not going today needs to get a grip

(not directed at you)

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
So No Ritchie or Halak?

Jaro’s sick and it is probably a safe bet that Ritchie is as well.

Anyone who gives either of them grief for not going today needs to get a grip

(not directed at you)

Nope, no Jaro or Ritchie. I had a fleeting thought of "Where's Jaro?" while I was there, but I was too busy trying to plot my next line to really give it much thought and double check that he wasn't there. Plus, I had him last year, so he wasn't even on my rotating wish list. And Ritchie I literally didn't notice until you mentioned him, although when I was typing up the numbers, I noticed the number of players was kind of low considering all the injured players that DID show.

I'm also 100% fine with Jaro and Ritchie not showing - ESPECIALLY if they're sick and contagious. The copious Purell bottles next to the players work both ways, but they can only do so much. (That goes for fans too. They do this event every year. If little Timmy is a mucus factory, please stay home.) Plus, even a little cold can be a health hazard, particularly to vulnerable populations.

Heck, Bergy "bailed" twice on this event, both times for offspring, and I don't think anyone complained (nor should they!) - and he IS a draw. First time, I think Zack was about 3 days old, and Bergeron played the evening right after the birth AND went on a 1 game road trip the Friday before the event on Saturday. He and his wife must have been exhausted, and I can't begrudge him at all finally spending a full day with his newborn son. And last year Cam announced the birth of the latest Bergeron right at the event. Might have even happened the evening before or morning of the team event...again, no problem with that at ALL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->