Boston Herald Bruins, NHL schedule is broken, but here’s how to fix it

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I would guess that the vast majority reading this would agree the NHL schedule is a mess.

In a couple of years, the Bruins will play 31 opponents at TD Garden in 41 dates and that means we will see longtime rivals even less. I understand where the NHL is coming from when they want every team to visit all teams every single year but it is lunacy that the Sunrise Kittens play in Boston the same number of games as Montreal or Toronto.

Can it be fixed????

Justin Pelliter in the Herald thinks it can be.

Bruins, NHL schedule is broken, but here’s how to fix it – Boston Herald

What if the National Hockey League had two conferences of four divisions each, with four teams in each division, and a weighted schedule to match?

Teams would play six games each against three division opponents (18). They would play three games each against conference opponents (36), they would play two games each against teams in three of the four divisions in the opposing conference, and one game each against the remaining division in the opposite conference (28). It’s a far less cumbersome formula than the NFL uses, and allows teams to have a variety of teams come through their barns while highlighting division rivalries.

What about the playoffs? To maintain the 16-team playoff format, take the top two teams in each division to the playoffs. This will make those matchups even more valuable, and provide for some highly entertaining stretch drives across the league.

After Monday’s tilt against the Canadiens, the Bruins won’t see them again this season. The B’s are also done with Buffalo and Toronto, the two teams with which they are battling the closest for playoff positioning. This makes for some serious scoreboard-watching in the second half of the season, and sets up a scenario where watching your phone might be more important than watching the game in front of you at the Garden.

It’s time that changes, and with the volume of teams and now-even conferences, it’s attainable sooner than later.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
With so many damn teams, something’s got to go. For me, it’s the inter conference games.

One game against each team in the west is 16 games.

Three games against each metro team is 24.

That leaves 6 games times 7 division rivals = 42

82 games.

Top 4 in each division qualify.
Simplifies things without having to resort to the absurdly small NFL style divisions.
I’m a fan of the divisional playoff format.

Oh and go back to the old division names so make that 3 home and 3 away games against each Adams Division rival, 3 total against each Patrick and alternate home/away each year against each team in the Campbell Conference and all will be well in the world.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

82 games.

Simplifies things without having to resort to the absurdly small NFL style divisions.

Oh and go back to the old division names so make that 3 home and 3 away games against each Adams Division rival, 3 total against each Patrick and home and home against each team in the Campbell Conference and all will be well in the world.

When I lived in Chicago it was a killer the Bruins would only visit every other season. We also went through the folly of the winner of the Southeast Division had at worst a #3 seed in the playoffs and that helped the 2004 Lightning and 2006 Whalercanes win the Cup.

What we have today is mainly because Detroit demanded to be moved to the East.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Yep and I hate having Detroit in the Bruins’ division, but at this point they aren’t going back west.

I also hate having 5 of the original 6 in the East and 4 of those 5 in one division. It’s bad.

But what can you do? Any way you slice it, something’s got to give.

Reactions: Fenway

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
With so many damn teams, something’s got to go. For me, it’s the inter conference games.

82 games.

Oh and go back to the old division names so make that 3 home and 3 away games against each Adams Division rival, 3 total against each Patrick and alternate home/away each year against each team in the Campbell Conference and all will be well in the world.

I'm all for the strict divisional playoffs (no wildcard nonsense). Totally onboard with you there. One thing I've also noticed speaking to casual fans is they have a hard time understanding the Wildcard set-up. A simpler Top 4 qualify in each division is much simpler to comprehend.

I just don't get why the vague connection to the Metro division and having to play those 8 teams three times each. Especially when the playoff format is strictly divisional in terms of who makes it and the first 2 rounds.

Why is the Metro division treated any differently than the other two non-Bruin divisions? I just don't get it. And it's good for the league to have every team visit every team's building each year. This notion that you may only get to see the superstars of the Western conference once every two or three years is ludicrous.

The answer is the elimination of "conferences" altogether. Just 4 separate divisions. Right now with the wildcard foolishness and 3 games vs. the Metro division, the league is half-pregnant so to speak in it's format.

I'd even take it a step further and re-seed the final 4 teams in the playoffs 1-4 and 2-3 rather than East vs. East and West vs. West. But that's kinda radical I know.

I'd go

Divisonal games = 5 games vs. each of the 7 teams = 35 (I also like how the uneven number of games 5 as oppose to 6 basically makes each season a 5-game mini-series vs. the opposing divisional team).

Non-divisional games = 2 games each (home and away) vs. the 24 non-divisional teams = 48

83 games

Reactions: GabeTravels

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Works for me. I can live with that.

Chop the 3rd game against the metro and tack it on elsewhere.

See, we can get things accomplished when we compromise.

I've been on the "less games vs. the Metro" for awhile now.

A snoozefest vs. Carolina is no different to me than a snoozefest vs. Arizona.

I don't care about phony NBC rivalries like Philly and the Rangers.

Reactions: Chief Nine

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I've been on the "less games vs. the Metro" for awhile now.

A snoozefest vs. Carolina is no different to me than a snoozefest vs. Arizona.

I don't care about phony NBC rivalries like Philly and the Rangers.

If you’re axing conferences, it makes no difference.

If you’re going to play out of your division and then meet the other division winner from your own conference in the conference finals, it does make sense to play the extra game against them.

You’re going to have the snoozefests, even within the division. I’m not super geared up to see lots of Florida, Ottawa or Detroit, but with the parity in the league, the strength of those teams and appeal of those match ups will be cyxlical.

Of course you were going to have more divisional games when there were 21 teams as opposed to 31 going on 32.

The divisional format may have also worked better pre expansion because just about everyone made the playoffs anyway.

Now, if you’re going to go with a divisional format, the regular season actually matters and, like in the NFL, you should play a lot of games within the division.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I've yet to see a satisfying suggestion of how to split into divisions of 4. I just don't see how the East could realistically be split that way

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If you’re axing conferences, it makes no difference.

If you’re going to play out of your division and then meet the other division winner from your own conference in the conference finals, it does make sense to play the extra game against them.

You’re going to have the snoozefests, even within the division. I’m not super geared up to see lots of Florida, Ottawa or Detroit, but with the parity in the league, the strength of those teams and appeal of those match ups will be cyxlical.

Of course you were going to have more divisional games when there were 21 teams as opposed to 31 going on 32.

The divisional format may have also worked better pre expansion because just about everyone made the playoffs anyway.

Now, if you’re going to go with a divisional format, the regular season actually matters and, like in the NFL, you should play a lot of games within the division.

Exactly.

And it skews point totals further than what we have now. Fans are looking at the overall league standings and crying about two teams in the Top 5 overall playing in the first two rounds. Ignoring the fact that teams in different conferences don't have exactly the same schedule. TB/Tor/Bos point totals last year were skewed by the fact the rest of the Atlantic wasn't strong.

More divisional games skews that even further, which is a good thing, not a bad thing IMO.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
be glad the NHL doesn't go by Points Percentage to determine seedings, the AHL does that with the 68 game Pacific Division, while others play 76

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I've yet to see a satisfying suggestion of how to split into divisions of 4. I just don't see how the East could realistically be split that way

I’d guess something like

Boston
Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto

Buffalo
NYR
NYI
NJ

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Columbus
Detroit

Washington
Carolina
Tampa
Florida

Sucks for Washington but no one else makes sense in the last division unless Nashville comes East and Detroit goes back West

Reactions: TimThomas24

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
can be done without division restructuring as well once Seattle is in.

Bruins would play:

Play your own division 6 times = 42 games
Play the Metro 3 times = 24 games
Play the West 1 time = 16 games

problem is the NHL treats the schedule like welfare for the crap teams/locations. by having everyone play everywhere it guarantees that bad owners in Arizona, Florida, etc are guaranteed good attendance nights when Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Bruins, Leafs, Habs, etc come to town.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I’d guess something like

Boston
Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto

Buffalo
NYR
NYI
NJ

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Columbus
Detroit

Washington
Carolina
Tampa
Florida

Sucks for Washington but no one else makes sense in the last division unless Nashville comes East and Detroit goes back West
Detroit isn't going west now under the alignment anyway....

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
can be done without division restructuring as well once Seattle is in.

Bruins would play:

Play your own division 6 times = 42 games
Play the Metro 3 times = 24 games
Play the West 1 time = 16 games

problem is the NHL treats the schedule like welfare for the crap teams/locations. by having everyone play everywhere it guarantees that bad owners in Arizona, Florida, etc are guaranteed good attendance nights when Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Bruins, Leafs, Habs, etc come to town.

I'm a firm believer that every fan in every city get the opportunity to see all the NHL teams/stars at least once per year. Would suck to be a Bruins fan living on the west coast and only get the chance to see them live every other year. If people are shelling out big money for season tickets, they deserve to get a chance to see all the stars in the league.

I think they should ditch the idea of wild card teams and move to divisional playoffs. Then ditch the third game against the Metro, there's no good reason for it.

Home and home with everyone outside the division: 24 * 2 = 48
Home and home with everyone in the division twice: 7 * 2 * 2 = 28

Split the remaining 6 games in the division, rotating opponents and home dates year to year (or add 1 game to the schedule).

The upside for playing an odd number of games in division is that it gives you a great tiebreaker for playoff positioning without having to resort to ROW or goal totals.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Frankly I would do away with inter conference play altogether- for one, with today's technology if you want to see any of the 30 teams play you can do it just by pressing a button, no need to wait for them to come to town. Second,I think eliminating inter conference play would make the Cup final more interesting. If two teams have already played each other twice in a season you have a good idea what a Cup final between those teams will be like. I hated it when MLB introduced inter league play and I still do, I think it has lessened (if that's the right word) the World Series.

Bring back division & conference rivalries and watch the intensity level shoot up.

Reactions: smithformeragent

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm a firm believer that every fan in every city get the opportunity to see all the NHL teams/stars at least once per year. Would suck to be a Bruins fan living on the west coast and only get the chance to see them live every other year. If people are shelling out big money for season tickets, they deserve to get a chance to see all the stars in the league.

I think they should ditch the idea of wild card teams and move to divisional playoffs. Then ditch the third game against the Metro, there's no good reason for it.

Home and home with everyone outside the division: 24 * 2 = 48
Home and home with everyone in the division twice: 7 * 2 * 2 = 28

Split the remaining 6 games in the division, rotating opponents and home dates year to year (or add 1 game to the schedule).

The upside for playing an odd number of games in division is that it gives you a great tiebreaker for playoff positioning without having to resort to ROW or goal totals.

the opposite is true however. overwhelmingly, ticket holders want more division/rivalry games like Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo. The West games are pretty much always garbage games and are at the top of "give away" games for tickets

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I like the idea of less games against the Metro division and more against the Atlantic. The idea that the Bruins are done with Montreal and Toronto at this point of the season is absurd. If they play less games against Columbus, NYR, NYI, Wash, Pitt and Philly, so be it

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I am fine with the regular season the way it is and the less I see the habs the better, would prefer that team relocates to Houston or something. It is the playoffs that bother me the way they set it up, I HATE divisional playoff setups where the same teams seem to play each other if the first round every year. I would prefer a system where the division winners are seeded 1-2 and then the remaining six spots are filled with best records, then have 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 etc. playoffs which reseed after each round, once we get to the final 4 teams they reseed again and play 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 regardless of conference, this way any two teams could meet at anytime, would that game 7 win over the Leafs be even better if that were the finals or even semi-finals?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
God forbid we don’t get to see Colorado here every year

It wasn't that long ago when we played a western team once a season, alternate home and away each season. Am I remembering that right? No reason not to go back to that if it means increasing division games. How great would it be if after the last two games we could look forward to seeing the Laffs and Toilet Seats two or three more times? By the time the playoffs get around, all the rivalry is dissipated.

Reactions: BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
31 teams = nothing works

When I was a season ticket holder in Hartford, I wanted to see the Bruins the most, of course. But not at the cost of missing teams from the west. Seeing Gretzky and Dionne and Hawerchuk and Savard, etc. was important. I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing McDavid or McKinnon or Gaudreau now, especially so there can be an extra game watching the starless Canadiens.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
31 teams = nothing works

When I was a season ticket holder in Hartford, I wanted to see the Bruins the most, of course. But not at the cost of missing teams from the west. Seeing Gretzky and Dionne and Hawerchuk and Savard, etc. was important. I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing McDavid or McKinnon or Gaudreau now, especially so there can be an extra game watching the starless Canadiens.
add to that when Western Teams were affiliated with New England cities in between the times those made an appearance

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It wasn't that long ago when we played a western team once a season, alternate home and away each season. Am I remembering that right? No reason not to go back to that if it means increasing division games. How great would it be if after the last two games we could look forward to seeing the Laffs and Toilet Seats two or three more times? By the time the playoffs get around, all the rivalry is dissipated.

That’s how i remember it as well. We actually played division opponents 8 times i year. I used to blow so much money on the Montreal and Toronto home games cuz there were 8 of em

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad