Pre-Game Talk: Bruins @ Leafs - Saturday HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wonder if Babcock will ever give Gauthier a shot in the top 9? He has Spezza in the 3C hole right now but Gauthier has done well on the 4th line. Plus Spezza is old and hasn't really been all that impressive.

If Spezza sucks, I think it's at least worth considering. Get him some more offensive opportunities with better line mates and who knows, maybe his offense improves. He's already had a fair number of good offensive opportunities and a couple of goals.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
AJ has better metrics at 5v5 on every level compared to Marner. That's how disappointing Marner has been to start. He's lucky he has some points on the PP. Marner's PDO at 5v5 is 0.860 which is pretty unlucky but still. Has to step up, way more than AJ.

How much does that have to do with playing Matthews and Nylander though? Johnsson has been fine at 5-on-5, especially for what is expected out of him, but I'd still expect more out of him considering his QoT.

Marner has been a disappointment in my books. If he was not able to produce on the PP, I would be worried. Even with the PP I am a little bit worried. It's not hard to produce good PP numbers when you are playing with Tavares and Matthews.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
How much does that have to do with playing Matthews and Nylander though? Johnsson has been fine at 5-on-5, especially for what is expected out of him, but I'd still expect more out of him considering his QoT.
It might have some factor for sure, but AJ is playing hard, his tenacity is showing, he's battling for pucks. Their line is working.

Many on this board consider Marner to be the driver on his line similar to Matthews so if that is truly the case and he isn't a product of JT like many have said then he should be much better than he has shown.

I'm all for playing good players with good players but the drivers have to deliver. So far only Matthews is driving.

Reactions: Cobra777

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Albeit early, but before I start expecting more from players currently doing their job, I want to see more from the leaders being paid like top 5 players who haven't delivered yet at 5v5.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Bruins are gonna smack us.

If we play up to our potential we can win this game

As we've seen that doesn't seem likely because we're as inconsistent as **** but we can absolutely win this game if our best players play like our best players

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Bruins are gonna smack us.
It could be a surprise game.
Sometimes when you have (or think you have) to much talent you coast far to much.

when you have guys that actually have to work harder now because someone is missing, you can play better.

it’s why hard work can beat skill.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
They’re going to have to be or they won’t be around long.

I think skill has gotten them to the playoffs the past 3 seasons but it hasn’t allowed them to win a series.

I have serious doubts about the leafs ability to dig deep and find another gear in the playoffs based on the make-up of the team

Reactions: Cobra777

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Matthews 5v5 icetime creeping up now, and his underlying numbers are still amazing.

Among NHL forwards:

5v5 icetime/gp: 14:46 (23rd overall, comparables: Eichel, Kopitar, Seguin)
5v5 stats and league ranking (min 80 minutes played):
CF%: 67.08 (5th overall)
SF%: 66.09 (9th overall)
xGF%: 68.43 (13th overall)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Maybe I misheard on the radio (poor reception) but I thought I heard that Boston is banged until and missing a few players... did I hear right or wrong?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Anyone else getting tired of all this "sky is falling" junk?
It's October 18th, Stop spazzing out
It's dreadful. I don't even come on the boards much anymore for the sole reason of all the whining.

Never show up in a post game thread. Those are the worst.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If Matthews and Marner RW the best two players, Leafs will win.

If Pastrnak and Marchand are the best two players, Leafs lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->