Bruins Interested In Undrafted player: Justin Brazeau

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Definitely dont mind seeing them taking a shot on this kid.

But I'm skeptical of overagers with padded stats. I have not seen the kid play and have nothing to offer on that.

But lets temper expectations here.

Could easily be another Yannick Riendeau
This is where I'm at as well,31 teams x2 passed on him and I could be wrong but he wasn't invited to anyone's prospect camp either,my best offer would be ATO and go from there

Reactions: JCRO

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This is where I'm at as well,31 teams x2 passed on him and I could be wrong but he wasn't invited to anyone's prospect camp either,my best offer would be ATO and go from there

I too wonder with overagers what they may be missing in the eyes of scouts to have gone undrafted but Dom has a nice offering in the PB thread about the kid.

I also mentioned, rather see the B`s interested in an overaged kid whose lit it up as opposed to one who hasn`t

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I too wonder with overagers what they may be missing in the eyes of scouts to have gone undrafted but Dom has a nice offering in the PB thread about the kid.

I also mentioned, rather see the B`s interested in an overaged kid whose lit it up as opposed to one who hasn`t
All true and the Bruins hit it with Colby Cave,have to wait and see how this plays out

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

3 times actually. 2016, 2017, 2018. He's been to the camps of CBJ, Washington and SJ that I know of for sure.

This was the scouting report from one independent scouting service in 2016

"Justin Brazeau is a big bodied, extremely raw two-way winger. The 6'04" winger showed some improvements
throughout the 2015-2016 as he began to show more and more confidence in his game. While
Brazeau's physical attributes are undoubtedly intriguing, he is still extremely raw and lacks ideal strength to
his frame. With that being said Brazeau showed an effectiveness in a bottom six role for the North Bay Battalion
this season. A player who fore checks effectively, Brazeau's anticipation skills along with tenaciousness
in puck pursuit allowed the lanky winger to force turnovers throughout the season. While Brazeau isn't
overly physical for a player of his stature, he relies on his competitiveness. A player who does his best work
off the rush and below the hash marks, Brazeau works the half boards and cycle with effectively. Brazeau is
below average in both skating and strength. He lacks ideal foot speed and explosiveness to his stride.
While his stride is long and powerful it takes far to many strides for him to reach his top speed, allowing the
opposition to close in on him and separate him from the puck."

That same scouting service in 2017

"Justin was selected in the 13th round of the 2015 OHL Draft by the North Bay Battalion. Justin spent most
of his first junior season with the New Liskeard Cubs Midget program in the GNML, but also played a
handful of games for the Jr. A Powassan VooDoos. After a solid first year Justin joined the North Bay
Battalion playing on the fourth line all season. He provided some side and grinded it out, but rarely showed
his offensive skillset. In his second OHL season, Justin has flourished into a goal scoring power winger for
the Battalion posting 22 goals.
Justin Brazeau is a big two-way winger with intriguing size and good hockey sense. As Justin's confidence
rose he began to utilize his shot more which resulted in increased goal production. A player who stands 6'5,
Brazeau utilizes his size well, positioning himself appropriately in puck battles which allows him to emerge in possession despite a need to add strength. Brazeau shields the puck very well when entering the zone or
emerging off the cycle, however would benefit from adding strength and becoming heavier on the puck.
Justin's ability to find space offensively allows him to generate offensive opportunities as he provides an
outlet for his teammates and can quickly release the puck on goal. A player with an underrated shot,
Brazeau can make himself an effective net front presence and shows deceptively quick hands in tight.
Brazeau's skating is his biggest weakness as he lacks first step quickness and reaches only an average top
speed. However his ability to anticipate the play and think the game at a high level allows him to be
effective on the fore-check. Brazeau competes well and shows good positional awareness in all three zones,
often utilizing his size and reach defensively to clog lanes and create turnovers.
Brazeau doesn't project to have top six NHL skill, but he does have NHL size and understands his role as a
power winger who possesses a good shot. He could develop into a serviceable depth player, whereas in
the OHL he may have solidified top six status on the Battalion for next season. He will need to continue to
get stronger filling out his frame, all while improving on his skating stride as well."

Reactions: Strafer and BBB24

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
For oversized, over-aged players the OHL is an easy league to excel in. A perfect example is Micheal MaCarron.
He tore it up his last season in the OHL but is overwhelmed in the AHL.

That said , I have never seen this guy play so ............

Just my 2 cents.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
For oversized, over-aged players the OHL is an easy league to excel in. A perfect example is Micheal MaCarron.

Just my 2 cents.
He was a first round pick though we’re talking about signing a kid for free

Reactions: Strafer

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Just my 2 cents.

Tore it up?

I disagree.

After leaving the USDP he jumped to the OHL. His second season in the OHL was his overaged season. He put up 28 goals and 40 assists 56 games. (1.21 PPG) He went from 1.64 PPG with the Powerhouse London Knights playing a lot with the likes of Mitch Marner, Christian Dvorak and Max Domi to 1.14 PPG after being traded to Oshawa.

Brazeau just put up 1.66 PPG on a not so offensively talented North Bay squad.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
these are no risk signings really. id love to see him signed. im sure ownership may not love paying kids that dont turn out but as a fan i just like to see every tool in the box used to pick up prospects. you never know. he is 6'5.. that alone with a two way game could translate well. ill never be mad at our gm for signing guys like this. to me its just another exciting project. i for one hope they can sign him.

Reactions: TCB

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

Just my 2 cents.

I will take this as you are joking but any player that puts up (61g/52a in 68 games) knows the back of the net, regardless if he is older. You cannot teach scoring instinct and size. Kid has 2 things going for him. Three now that we know he is a RW, why not go after him, be crazy not too.

Reactions: Strafer and TCB

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I’ve had season tickets with the battalion for the past 4 years and watched Brazeau become the talent he is with steady improvements every year. He’s a BIG guy that has the ability to just become invisible and escape defenders, skating being his biggest knock of course but really isn’t as awful as some would say. I mean he gets a lot of breakways and nobody really catches him most of the time. The fans in North Bay have been calling for the coach head for awhile now due to lack of player development and outdated defensive systems. Brazeau has essentially dragged this team into the plays offs on his own, putting up 61 goals in a trap like system is amazing. When he was drafted he was thin and moved around like Bambi. Has since filled into his body and played a heavy physical high scoring game. Incredible hands for a guy that’s 6’6 , soft hands and has a rocket of a shot. Longest drought was like 5 games without a goal. Constantly thrown on the ice in all situations, must average close to 30 minutes a night. That being said this guy could be a complete steal for you guys

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i liked this guy last year as a late round pick - somewhere in the 6th or 7th round. if dom says his skating
is good enough, that's a heck of an endorsement. may never have that first step quickness but a guy
that size with hands and smarts and positional awareness is a no-brainer to roll the dice on. there's a
bunch of guys signed currently who aren't nearly as good.

Reactions: AM Bruin

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I’ve had season tickets with the battalion for the past 4 years and watched Brazeau become the talent he is with steady improvements every year. He’s a BIG guy that has the ability to just become invisible and escape defenders, skating being his biggest knock of course but really isn’t as awful as some would say. I mean he gets a lot of breakways and nobody really catches him most of the time. The fans in North Bay have been calling for the coach head for awhile now due to lack of player development and outdated defensive systems. Brazeau has essentially dragged this team into the plays offs on his own, putting up 61 goals in a trap like system is amazing. When he was drafted he was thin and moved around like Bambi. Has since filled into his body and played a heavy physical high scoring game. Incredible hands for a guy that’s 6’6 , soft hands and has a rocket of a shot. Longest drought was like 5 games without a goal. Constantly thrown on the ice in all situations, must average close to 30 minutes a night. That being said this guy could be a complete steal for you guys

Bambi comparison, this was often said about Chara in his early days.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Talked to him today.

-no preference on where he goes.
-only thinking about playoffs
-not involved in talks. Will sign the contract his agent puts in front of him.
-Hasn't looked at team depth charts to see where he has the best chance

I'm all for signing him since he's got size and knows where the net is and how to hit it. I also like his size at
6'6" he is something that we have zero of even if his skating is suspect. He isn't a finished product and we are
really weak at that position so there's that.
The only knock that I have are the quoted/bolded above. HOW can you not care where you're going
and be so obtuse that he hasn't looked at depth charts. THAT is scary stoopid.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I will take this as you are joking but any player that puts up (61g/52a in 68 games) knows the back of the net, regardless if he is older. You cannot teach scoring instinct and size. Kid has 2 things going for him. Three now that we know he is a RW, why not go after him, be crazy not too.

Not joking at all. All of what you say is true, the big problem for players like him is the speed of game when you go pro. Hey, I'm all for it , especially with the lack of depth at RW the Bruins have. All I'm saying is I'm not getting a woody over this one.

Also , in the past when multiple teams are in pursuit of a player somehow he never chooses the Bruins.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Welcome and Thanks so much. I take this over other people just comparing him to other guys that have crashed and burned. I take the word of a guy who has been there from the beginning, you!

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I'm all for signing him since he's got size and knows where the net is and how to hit it. I also like his size at
6'6" he is something that we have zero of even if his skating is suspect. He isn't a finished product and we are
really weak at that position so there's that.
The only knock that I have are the quoted/bolded above. HOW can you not care where you're going
and be so obtuse that he hasn't looked at depth charts. THAT is scary stoopid.
He isn’t much of media guy, very minimal media coverage here in the North, very quiet never says much, he probably can’t wait to get away from Stan Butler like many other players that have come here. I’m certain he has looked at the depth charts

Reactions: Strafer

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Welcome and Thanks so much. I take this over other people just comparing him to other guys that have crashed and burned. I take the word of a guy who has been there from the beginning, you!
Thanks man, Die hard Battalion fan and unfortunately a senators fan. You guys have a great team and definitely the guys il be cheering for come playoffs, Brad Marchand is probably the most entertaining show on ice #SweepTheLeafs

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Tore it up?

I disagree.

After leaving the USDP he jumped to the OHL. His second season in the OHL was his overaged season. He put up 28 goals and 40 assists 56 games. (1.21 PPG) He went from 1.64 PPG with the Powerhouse London Knights playing a lot with the likes of Mitch Marner, Christian Dvorak and Max Domi to 1.14 PPG after being traded to Oshawa.

Brazeau just put up 1.66 PPG on a not so offensively talented North Bay squad.

I'm not going to argue with you of all people on matters of the OHL. I must ask, why do you think he hasn't been drafted to this point? Not being smart, just wondering why that might be.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Thanks man, Die hard Battalion fan and unfortunately a senators fan. You guys have a great team and definitely the guys il be cheering for come playoffs, Brad Marchand is probably the most entertaining show on ice #SweepTheLeafs

Coolness, you're "our man (on the spot reporter) in North Bay!":thumbu::popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->