Bruins Interested In Undrafted player: Justin Brazeau

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
By all accounts I've read, Dom included, his skating has improved dramatically.

If its passable like Jimmy Hayes... then could be ok

If like Chara... then pass

The guys that have seen him would know better

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I read Dom's write up of him in the PBruins thread and he sounds like a solid kid and player.

Obviously not sure what his ceiling is, but if he's got size, shoots right and can skate a little bit, it certainly can't hurt to take a flyer on him.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
havent seen him... not sure how happy id be giving him some softball bonus structure on his contract that could screw our cap. but I think I would point out that we have only 2 nhl quality rightwings in the system. hint that backes is going soon... senshyn is far from a guarantee... tell this kid there will be a chance to play.

I like dom's scouting report on the kid... 2-way game... good attitude...

I am not sold that this is the great white hope... to be honest, I see other people saying please no jimmy hayes. I think theres a decent chance this kid might never be better than jimmy hayes. is that a reason to not sign him? hayes is still bouncing around the nhl I think... he is an nhl talent. the only real problem with hayes when he was here is he was being paid too much. if hayes was on a minimum contract hes good enough to be a 13th forward in the nhl.

if this kid is good enough to be a 13th forward in the nhl then I say sign him... just make sure we dont overpay him in some bidding war

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Divver tweeted that he spoke to an NHL scout who said the kid doesn’t skate well enough.
same scout/scouts that made mark Stone a 6th round choice in the draft. I'm not comparing this guy to Stone but it seems that sometimes scouts seem to spend to much time focused on lack of foot speed/great foot speed ( our very own Senyshyn ) vs actual production. Obviously points in junior don't translate to the NHL but foot speed can be improved but hockey sense can't.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I just read Dom's comments on him in the PRO thread, seems like a great kid. From a production standpoint, the guy that immediately came to mind was Mike Amadio (LA 3rd round pick 2014) who played for the Battalion a few years ago (he was on my radar because I drafted him in our SIM league).

In 2015-16, Amadio put up numbers (50g/48a in 68 games) that are similar to what Brazeau did this year (61g/52a in 68 games). Now, I have no idea stylistically how these two differ, but going strictly from an age comparison, Amadio was able to put those numbers up as a 19 year old. he turned 20 that May and signed with LA. Brazeau put up his numbers this year as a 20 year old, and last year (at 19) he had 39g/36a in 68 games.

Obviously, the teams that Amadio and Brazeau played for were different, and players develop at different rates, but I would not get SUPER excited about Brazeau until you see how his game translates to the pros. Amadio has been an AHL/NHL tweener for the Kings, and so far he has not shown the scoring prowess in the NHL that he exhibited in the OHL. He's only 22, so he's not a finished product yet.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I just read Dom's comments on him in the PRO thread, seems like a great kid. From a production standpoint, the guy that immediately came to mind was Mike Amadio (LA 3rd round pick 2014) who played for the Battalion a few years ago (he was on my radar because I drafted him in our SIM league).

In 2015-16, Amadio put up numbers (50g/48a in 68 games) that are similar to what Brazeau did this year (61g/52a in 68 games). Now, I have no idea stylistically how these two differ, but going strictly from an age comparison, Amadio was able to put those numbers up as a 19 year old. he turned 20 that May and signed with LA. Brazeau put up his numbers this year as a 20 year old, and last year (at 19) he had 39g/36a in 68 games.

Obviously, the teams that Amadio and Brazeau played for were different, and players develop at different rates, but I would not get SUPER excited about Brazeau until you see how his game translates to the pros. Amadio has been an AHL/NHL tweener for the Kings, and so far he has not shown the scoring prowess in the NHL that he exhibited in the OHL. He's only 22, so he's not a finished product yet.

Just quoting Dom here to give everyone perspective:
Yes.

Thing is, for 4 years he's played for one of (I think he is) the best teachers of the defensive game in Stan Butler. You just have to understand the way Butler wants his teams to play to really appreciate what Brazeau has accomplished this season.

But to be able to transform his offensive game from shooter to all around player offensively and show the marked improvement he has speaks volumes to me. His skating has improved dramatically. If there is one area I would have liked to see more improvement on it's his first strides. They are a little choppy, but he's improved his overall speed so I think it's an area he can work on.

I've talked to him about a dozen times over the last 4 years. Great attitude and he always makes himself available.

In 2016, I had him ranked 50th from the OHL. 2017 I had him 47th and in 2018 44th. In 2016 he'd look like a steal today as a 7th round pick.

I can't speculate on the Bruins chances. I think Niagara takes them out of the playoffs in 4 or 5 games. So he could be done by next weekend. But I haven't heard a whisper about it so I can't say if they even have a chance.

BTW he just won the Jim Mahon Memorial Trophy too. The most recent winners include Mitch Marner, Alex DeBrincat and Kevin Labanc.

Sounds promising and if we can get him, doesn't hurt any thing.

As for burning a year off, I don't see this as a huge deal. If he's an NHL producing player, you take that risk, rather do it to seal the deal than not do it and lose the opportunity. If he doesn't pan out, that extra year means nothing, and he's out of the system even sooner.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Talked to him today.

-no preference on where he goes.
-only thinking about playoffs
-not involved in talks. Will sign the contract his agent puts in front of him.
-Hasn't looked at team depth charts to see where he has the best chance.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Curious who was the dude from Gatineau scoring machine in th Q un drafted played for Providence amounted to nothing. Skating was his weakness. About 6 years back.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Parenteau???
My memory isnt what it used to be and I cant remember anyone from Gatineau but Yannick Riendeau was a huge scorer from the Q who the Bs signed and played in Providence. He could skate pretty well, so not who you are referring to probably.

Reactions: Blowfish

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
My memory isnt what it used to be and I cant remember anyone from Gatineau but Yannick Riendeau was a huge scorer from the Q who the Bs signed and played in Providence. He could skate pretty well, so not who you are referring to probably.

Wasn't one of the knocks against him that he didn't skate well enough for an undersized player?

Reactions: Blowfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad