Rumor: Bruins interested in Karl Alzner

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
If so, it must be an internal cap because they’ve got plenty of room before getting close to the actual cap.

Even at significantly less money, I’d rather keep Moore than get cap relief by replacing him with Alzner.

Depends on how much they sign Debrusk+Grzelcyk. There won't be much room to sign a winger after those two depending on who they're trying to sign.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Alzner's the type of guy who should be brought in on a PTO for a no obligation look at what he has left, if anything. Not an actual contract months ahead of time.
That makes more sense . I’m a Habs fan so if I say sign him you must ask yourself why . PTO would be the way to go if you were curious

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Has Haggs ever been right ? Well looking into his toaster and saying something out loud doesn’t make it rumor

Either that or Murphy and Haggs talk to each other a lot and pretend to be each other sources.

Job description. Day dreamers

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
In all honesty, he can probably be a 7th defender or something. I'd take him for AHL depth. But it's still a bit funny.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
In all honesty, he can probably be a 7th defender or something. I'd take him for AHL depth. But it's still a bit funny.

It won’t be to go to the AHL. The Habs bought him out so he wouldn’t have to be stuck there.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
And to save millions of dollars. But I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.

It cost us more by doing it this year, ideally the habs would have waited until next year and kept alzner buried. Bergevin did Alzner a favor, but if it ends up biting the Bruins in the ass, I'll forgive him.

Reactions: c3z4r

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Nothing wrong with the guy. As many posters have said: get him for under a million and there is no risk involved.
Yeah that's why Montreal who had 8+ million in cap space over the duration of his contract buried him in the minors in favour of superstars like Brett Kulak, Mike Reilley, Xavier Ouellette, Christian Folin, Cale Fleury (1 point in 41 games), Gustav Olofsson, Otto Leskinen, Noah Juulsen, David Schlemko, Jakub Jerabek, Brett Lemout and Rinat Valiyev.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah that's why Montreal who had 8+ million in cap space over the duration of his contract buried him in the minors in favour of superstars like Brett Kulak, Mike Reilley, Xavier Ouellette, Christian Folin, Cale Fleury (1 point in 41 games), Gustav Olofsson, Otto Leskinen, Noah Juulsen, David Schlemko, Jakub Jerabek, Brett Lemout and Rinat Valiyev.
No, that is not why they did that.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
I don’t understand why the Bruins are looking at Dmen unless it’s for guys that want to play in Providence

McAvoy
Carlo
Gryzleck
Clifton
K. Miller
Moore
Lauzon
Zboril
Vaakanainen

that’s 9 Dmen and that’s if Chara doesn’t come back, it’s not the most experienced or prettiest group, could look a lot better if the last three kids on that list can prove to be capable NHL Dmen like they were drafted to be in the early rounds...

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
Cant imagine by now there’s legs to this. How many teams are vying for Alzner lol. They’re probably considering him for Providence. Nothing more here

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
No, that is not why they did that.
Uh yes it is. Like I said in my post we had no need to save cap or money, he was a burden to our team. He was refused to be called up even with multiple injuries, and the players I listed were chosen instead. I'm assuming you don't watch any Montreal games, because Karl Alzner is clearly not NHL caliber any more, even on a bottom pairing. He isn't even doing good in the AHL.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
from what I understand based on comments attributed to alzner himself... he just doesnt get the zone defense played in montreal

dude is only 32... a former top 5 pick... a standout in Washington for a decade... I predict theres every chance he will become a useful nhl dman again. if nothing else you really got to admire his ability to stay healthy and never miss a game due to injury

if he is willing to take a 'prove it' deal in providence... we got a potential spot for him when chara retires.

its looking like providence depth chart could be

vaakanainen/berglund
alzner/miller
ahcan/wolfe
possibly kamfer will be back although he could just retire for covid

it looks like a championship defense in providence

up front...

fillipe/studnicka/lantosi
lauko/carey/kuhlman
Lindholm/federic/steen
blidh/hughes/mcgreg

I might have the lines off...
but this is good mix of vets with a couple kids looking to break out

having a winning culture in your ahl team is a good thing... I like the idea of miller/alzner being down there to help the locker room, and they both have a shot to make an impact for the big team before playoffs imho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->